Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Omc Roto Race Motor

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bids

I wonder if these people bidding read enough to realize they are not getting a WHOLE rotary engine. Either that or the seller is kicking in bids under another name.

Post Thanks / Like

At least one didn't realize it and went to back out ... before he could retract the next bidder had outbid him

I found more pictures that seem to indicate there were 2 sizes of lower unit under them; I guess 2 of each. Still thinking this is prototype/proof of concept parts and not actual parts of a motor that was raced.

I thought the reserve was excessive ... but now it's met. I was suspicious of bidder 6 ... he still might be a shill. Let's see if he stays in now that bidder 7 has retracted
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Bidder 6 retracted, it is back to $610. Very suspicious ....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotary

I Just Retracted My Bid. I Didnt Reliaze What I Read Til I Bidded .... No Powerhead.. When I Got Outbidded I Thought I Would Just Leave It Alone But Now I Have Retracted My Bid... Guess I Need To Read Closer Next Time...

Not Worth Much Just To Look At With No Powerhead To Me Anyway......

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotary "Facsimile"

The more I look at that "THING", the more I am convinced it NEVER was a running motor. It looks like a dummy to put on display at the Boat Shows. With the cover ON it , it don't look too bad. With the cover off, I say "phooey" !................And that's a fack , Jack !
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 04-17-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add some humor

Post Thanks / Like

Default snow mobile?

did omc also use their rotory motor on a snowmobile?
    a bud of mine that collects and hoards all of old omc and merc racing stuff
    said they did a snomobile also with it
    and acie down here found 1 and bought it
    john

Post Thanks / Like

I think they actually produced a snowmobile with a smaller rotary engine for a while. It was not directly based on the large racing outboard rotary engine. There was also a later rotary prototype production outboard; also not related to the motor used with the housings on eBay

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they did. It had fins around the firing chamber of the trulqoid housing, air cooled...They called the snow mobile the "Hog", iot had a 20" track. I'm considering buying an old snowmobile to use the engine in a dessert toy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I think they actually produced a snowmobile with a smaller rotary engine for a while. It was not directly based on the large racing outboard rotary engine. There was also a later rotary prototype production outboard; also not related to the motor used with the housings on eBay

Post Thanks / Like

"Hog" no the Johnson was called a Golden Ghost, I don't think the Evinrude had a name, just listed the cc's, I should remember the Evinrude because AC's sat here for a year till he came and got it. That thing was mint, he found it up in wisconsin somewhere sitting inside all its life.

I wouldn't think about putting tha in a desert toy, didn't make that much power, just do like everyone else and get some 4 wheeler chassis and put a big snowmobile motor in it with a big NOS bottle on it and quit screwing around, start out with like 130hp and spray it..............

Supposidly there were smaller rotary outboards made, I have a guy who "says" he has a 35hp rotary OMC in a wood crate, it was supposed to be scrapped and it missed the dumpster, vxhhe's been bringing it over for a year now so I won't hold my breath.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotary engine

What ever happened to the Rotary that sat outside of Tech Service? That sure looks the one! It had a power head on it, locked up. Maybe welded up. Not sure. Just know the flywheel did not turn the crankshaft. Flywheel just spun on the taper. All the gear case had in it was a prop shaft if I remember right.

Tim

Thread Information