Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Best OPC racer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hayday?

Sorry heyday,just been down in theese here parts of Georgia to long,I reckon.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

brian
    how about when robert fuller drove the switzer here in portsmouth , he jumped off his horse fell straight in the river , got up got right in the boat took off and his damn horse started chasing him down the boat ramp it had to be the funniest thing ive seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Pugh?

Gary was awarded the APR Iron Man award last year when he started something like his 75th consecutive APR race. I don't even know how many years worth of racing that is, and to never miss a race is incredible. He also managed to win many of those races as well as several championships along the way.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Scotti

That's the year Robert Fuller (actor from scrad 51) and Jerry VanDyke actor from coach were in town. That was funny and they both road horses in the Labor Day parade.

Brian

Team Switzercraft TomAprilsSwitzers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The Greatest Ever

Quote Originally Posted by araraces View Post
    Being new to the sport who do most consider the best OPC racer,past and present?

I know it may be many,but just curious!

Thanks
    Don't forget about Jack Lewis of Minooka Illinois. Jack and a handful of outboard racers started THE GREAT LAKES BOAT CLUB in region 7 which seperated us outboarders from the inboards. He also was the builder of Vampire Boats some of which are still used in Formula V OPC racing today. These Vampire Boats were built in the early '70's. Jack was one heck of a racer. This is when OPC stood for OUTBOARD PLEASURE CRAFT eventually ending up Outboard Performance Class. Jack,along with Art Kennedy,Jimbo McConnel, Bob Switzer,Jim Umbarger and Ainsly Olson were the big dogs back then, and as far as I was concerned,and still believe this today, Jack was the best of them all. Tom Arambasich/Switzercraft Reunion Regattas

Post Thanks / Like

What about Tom Arambasich?! You should hear the incredible story of his RIVER QUEST one of these days!!! WOW! Now that was a feat - and part two is coming soon!

Another "great" racer we're missing here is Ken Kitson --- won many World Championship's, PLUS started his own championship race boat company - Kitson Kraft! And he's still the terrific gentleman he always was.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again Val you're knowledge of powerboat racing history is FAR advanced from some of our younger contributers. You bring up names that I had completely forgot about until you brought them up. I tend to giggle about the passion so many of us have about who is the "BEST" at particular type of racing. We should all acknowledge the excellence of many of these racers we have watched and followed throughout the years. I truly don't believe there is a "BEST" list but maybe a favorite list for all of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing some of the names listed bring back memories. but I do not think anyopne can pick the "ALLTIME" best. Now making a list of the top drivers is a different thing altogether.

Here are the ones that I remember my dad and I watching and being impressed with:

Jimbo McConnell
    Bill Seebold
    Bob Larson
    Johnnie Sanders
    Don Johnston
    Art Kennedy
    Ted May (who taught me more about driving that anyone)

Tis list could go on and on, but these are the ones that pop into my head.

Joe Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default OPC Drivers

The US has had some great drivers then and now. I have seen several tunnel boat drivers in the last 20 or so years. In my opinion Guido could be one of the best capsule tunnel boat drivers I have ever seen. He may have the best stuff, but he gets the max out of his equipment. I do have to say, if it was not for the safety of today’s tunnel boats, which by the way Guido has been a big contributor in. He may not have made it to this point in his career. After all, his name was crash-alini.
    Capsules have made many drivers race beyond their ability. The truth of the matter is, any tunnel boat driver still alive today that raced 100 MPH + non-capsule boats should be considered the best drivers.

Thread Information