Thread: 1500xs

Team Switzercraft TomAprilsSwitzers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

What's a Little Alli?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1500xs

Hi Tom
    Its page 1 post #4 my 14' Allison. Update is: I found that is has solid lower mounts already, so I installed the dual steering, rewired it, put in a center gas tank and new extended steering hub so I ran reach the wheel. Then the river was flooded for 5 or 6 weeks. I took it to my dads in Wisconsin and got the speed a little higher before it started chine walking. Now I'm sure that I just need some drive time behind the wheel. I did find out that the screws in the transom handles are too short. Another boat came out and when I launched over the wake the rope to hold the motor down ripped them both off. Good thing the transom has rods to tie it to the stringers. I think I'm also going to add a skid plate under the jack plate so water flows past it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tie-down

Switzer, if you are going to continue to run the engine tied down, install a bow eye in the transom a little above the cav plate and tie the motor down with 6 or 8 wraps of 1/4" nylon line. This is how we raced them before power trim was legal.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have enough parts to put the trim and tilt on the motor. The jack plate is a 5" setback manual plate that was on the boat so I dont know how it ran without one. I have a 1 1/2 setback hydraulic plate that I might try also.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another 2 cents worth

If you are talking about the stock trim with the vertical cylinders I feel you will be disasitisfied with it. Too much play. Try and find the horizontal racing cylinders such as used on the Twisters, or a set of turnaround brackets like those made by Bill Petty in the 70s. Try a search on here or Screamandfly for some.
    I would also loose the set-back. A 14 is tail heavy enough without it. Set the motor on the transom or raise it 1/2 to 3/4" to start. Hydraulic plate will also be unnecessary, once the height is right you won't need to move it. If you have the orig 1500XS unit with low water pickups you can go higher but watch the water pressure. Cleavers work better than round ear props, both over the hub exhaust. Not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I set up boat just like it years ago. Lots of fun but a handful. Ran mid 80s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, I can sure use it. I should have said trim unit. I do have both and was going to put the short horizontal race trim cylinders. The jack plate I have is hydraulic and very low profile at 1 1/2". My thought was to use that and mount the trim rams to it so it all moves together when I play with the adjustment. Its a tight fitting plate so it shouldnt move around.

Post Thanks / Like

A lil alli? Anything under the 21'. As I was comming up in the boating world the only allison ever built was a 21' drag boat. So I refer to my 14' as a lil alli.

Thread Information