Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quincy Looper FD 67

RogerH

Default Quincy Looper FD 67

The attached photo is of Looper FD-67 as purchased from Tim Burden from the estate of Phil Crown. I would greatly appreciate receiving the Quincy Welding build information on this motor and would like to know if it was originally sold to Mr. Crown.

It obviously needs a lot of cosmetic restoration but seems to be quite complete. I do need three (have 1) of the Gen-2 12" megaphones to complete the restoration. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who might know any of the racing details of Phil Crown with this motor.

My intent is to restore the motor as best I can to serviceable condition.

Regards,

Roger Hinsdale 423-452-0428
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper FD 67 Build Information

Roger,

Congratulations on your purchase of the Looper, #FD67. I do have the original Quincy Welding engine record books that my father, O. F. Christner, handed off to me and I did verify that your engine was originally built for Phil Crown. It was manufactured in April of 1966. The block was probably machined by Gene East, who also frequents this board.

The original bore was 2.455 . The piston specs are .905 - 20, 15 degrees, L ring POB.

There is a gentleman in Wisconsin by the name of Richard Ollhoff, that I consider to be one of the top gurus of Looper restorations & collections. He has many of the original Quincy patterns and an absolutely awesome collection of restored Loopers, including some extremely rare R&D Quincy engines. Richard also manufactures many of the original parts and castings for the Quincy Loopers and produces a re-created 60 ci Looper engine for sale.

I talked with Richard and he said I can put his phone number up here for you and other Looper enthusiasts. His home number is 715-453-0741 and his cell number is 715-218-1615.

Good luck with your Looper restoration & welcome to the club.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

RogerH

Thanks Paul for the information. I also have a Quincy Deflector motor (C202) that is restored and functioning. I'm not sure if this "C" motor was originally sold to Gary Inman from Florida. He had already sold his Looper to a guy in Chicago.

I have certainly learned a lot about the talents of your father and the entire Quincy Welding team. I will restore these with great respect for all to see and enjoy.

Tomtall

Thumbs up Keeping them alive!!

This is awesome that these engines can be saved by the likes of you people.

"The Collector"

I read posts all the time of how people express there frustration that engines are being sold for way to much money and all the collectors are scarfing up all the good stuff. Well let me tell you friend, if it wasn't for the collectors in this sport we sure wouldn't have all of these great engines preserved for future generations to enjoy! Keep up the restorations and keep us posted on this great saving of an awesome outboard race engine.

RogerH

Default FD-67 Update

It's been quite a while since I've updated anything about FD-67 (4/66). I just delivered two large bronze reed cages to a machinist I finally found relatively close by. When I get these back with the 3rd ports and locating 1/4-20 threads installed I will have everything ready to re-assemble the motor. The block assembly is fitted and together and I've rebuilt the lower unit and media blasted the clamps and tower. Will dis-assemble and paint them after initial assembly. I haven't decided whether I will run the early Merc 500 or the 4-cyl. Merc 650 distributor ignition on it (have both ready to go). It came with one of the integrated lo/hi coil distributor systems, which I don't want to run. I will modify the reed stops and set the limit when I get the new reed blocks back. Carbs have been rebuilt and ready to go. The high strength stainless fasteners throughout look great. Made all new gasket set and have received a new set of Gen-3 cones from Dick Olholl. Will certainly be taking pictures as it goes together. Here's a shot of the block assembly after media blasting. The motors in the background are a "C" deflector (C201) and a 30H. Expect the reed blocks in a couple of weeks, so it ought to come together soon after that. Thanks for everyone's help along the way!
    Regards,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information