Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Qunicy Loopers FC64 FG52 FC62

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the heads

hi all,

todays discussion is the heads. on cly 2 and 4 it looks like something got loose in there and pitted the aluminum. the question is would it be wise to habe the heads skimmed off to make them smooth and also take out the same amount out of the bowl(sorry not sure what to call it). this way yhe cc's will not change and the compression should be equal on each cyl. i trust the advise i have received here and would like to do this if it will be wise. it looks like about .002 or .003 will be skimmed off. if nothing is done will this have any adverse affects on the compression? after the decision is made on the skimming the true polishing will take place on the heads. worked on the edge and it looks like stainless.

frank

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

I am fisrt a stock guy so take what I say with a grain of salt. We had a stock
    55H that had one head all messed up and pitted. The spark plug came apart and part of the electrode got wedged in the piston. The piston acted like a hammer with that piece of sparkplug in it.

We honed the cylinders, put a new piston and rings in and it was one of our best motors. The CC's didn't really vary either.

What I don't know is if the mangled head on a looper will cause it to hit the top of the piston. I would think as long as you have the proper clearance, you'll be good to go.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fbref5269 View Post
    hi all,

todays discussion is the heads. ...the question is would it be wise to habe the heads skimmed off to make them smooth and also take out the same amount out of the bowl(sorry not sure what to call it). this way yhe cc's will not change and the compression should be equal on each cyl. i trust the advise i have received here and would like to do this if it will be wise. it looks like about .002 or .003 will be skimmed off. if nothing is done will this have any adverse affects on the compression? after the decision is made on the skimming the true polishing will take place on the heads. worked on the edge and it looks like stainless.

frank
    You could probably remove as much as .005 or so on the underside of the heads with minimal effect on compression. I would do this on both heads. The milling might leave a small edge on the exhaust side of the combustion chamber, but you can just sand or scrape that smooth by hand to restore the radius. It isn't critical. I wouldn't take any material out of the combustion chamber.

After you do the underside of the heads, you should probably flip them over and make a pass on the bolt side to ensure that both heads are of equal height, since the two center bolts must contact both heads evenly. Again, were talking just enough material removal ( probably less than .005) to get things flat.

Frank V.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower housings

Frank,

Here are the pictures of the towers
    Side
    Bottom
    Konig
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And here are a couple of our meager collection....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave,

that's one fine collection. i saw something like that in the movies a few years back... national treasure.... you've got a lot of history there! heck i remember when pop ran some of those. that's right, i was very very young... i'm not old...

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the heads

frank v,

thank you for the input. i think .005 will do the trick, if that much. i saw a posting from 2004 of a d heads posted by swifterbullet and his were in worse shape than mine. i'm going to try to post a picture of the heads for you to see. that also makes sense to do both sides. we will do both heads. thanks again.

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default here are the heads

hi all,

here are the heads i am talking about. after seeing the d looper switzerbullet had these don't look too bad. took it to two machine shops and they were a bit pricey. one guy wanted to use a belt grinder!!!! did not get a warm fuzzy feeling with him.

frank v, does it matter if the heads are cleaned up or just leave them be? what usually causes the pitting?

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flathead................

Looks like some major ring problems. We ran into that on a few of the A's after we converted to nitro, but didn't see it much with just straight alky. The pits create hot spots that will cause problems if you don't get them taken care of. Since it is not a competition situation you would probably be ok though...........
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

charlie,

so you think ole phil used a little nitro in the looper?

i do want to run the engine and i would like it to stay together. one machine shop quoted $150 to do both heads both sides. how is that as far as price? even if io run it a little will the heat mess up the pistons and rings. one of the cyls was number 4 and it had about 20% of the piston gone.

frank

Thread Information