Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Qunicy Loopers FC64 FG52 FC62

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Qunicy Loopers FC64 FG52 FC62

Well i went and did it last weekend. I've always wanted a Quincy Looper and ended up with 3 C's. I purchased 2 from Tim Burden and the third will be arriving soon from another party.

Now the real fun begins. The plan is to restore these beauties, they have been silenced too long. I want them to be heard again. I would be interested to know when these engines were made and and specs anyone has would be helpful. I have an idea as to how i want to display them and some history would be great. Also i will hopefuly be running these in a local race next summer. I will be posting pictures soon.

Frank Novotny
    52-E (back in the 70's)
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was bidding on the FC64 engine you bought. It didn't make reserve, so I opened negotiations with the owner. We settled on a price, and I was to have it picked up..........I have to admit, I hesitated, and now it belongs to you. Good score, and I know it's a great find. Here is some of the info I have on the engine I got from Paul Christner, whos father O.F was the owner of Quincy Welding:

FC 64 -- original owner was Jim Nichols. I think he was from the Kansas City, MO area and was pretty successful, a frequent top 5 finisher & sometimes winner. I do remember he was extremely meticulous with his equipment. By the pictures, that Looper appears well taken care of after Jim owned it.

By the serial number you gave me, I think it was probably produced in 1966, early spring.

The owner's name that I gave you might be in the Kansas City, MO phone directory. The owner was young enough that he very likely is still around. I do remember that he had a restaurant with a very good reputation for excellent food. He would come to Quincy Welding on Saturdays to have his engine tweaked. Many of our customers did that. That's how I came to know and become friends with so many of them.

Your engine could have been sold in a kit form - complete powerhead, powerhead and drive housing, or complete powerhead/ drive housing/ lower unit. We offered a lot of options as our customers had many different preferences. Since I didn't actually see this one leave the shop, I don't know how the owner ordered it. Perhaps he can help you out if you locate him.

As to the Konig links, almost anything was possible with the Quincy packages. I do know we sold some with Konig units, some with 1:1 Merc units, some with Crescent units and some with Eldredge units. That's why Quincy never made a lower unit - there were so many good options available at such good prices that it wouldn't have been cost effective. At least, that's what my dad, Chris, told me & I believe it to be true.

We at Quincy Welding primarily kept records of new production engines and powerheads but not documentation of the complete package that went out.

Again........well done on a rare find. My time will come, I'm sure of it. Keep us posted with pictures and updates (AND SOUND FILES TOO!)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A little more about Jimmy Nichols

Jimmy died several years ago. maybe 5-7 seems like. He was a little older than I am, I believe, so if he was still living he would be late 70's or so, maybe even a little more. We were not real close friends, just lived in the same town and raced for a few years in the same time frame, late 60's and early to mid 70's. I believe he retired from driving himself in the mid to late 70's but I also seem to remember that some younger folks that went with him to help drove some of his equipment after he quit driving but still owned equipment. Rex Hall drove for him in the mid to late 60's when he was just a young squirt. Rex is now the Rossi dealer for the US and could surely tell you about some of the engines Jimmy had and he drove. Another source is a guy named Don Dando who is I believe now retired from TWA and may still live in the KC area. Might check the members list on BRF, he might even belong. I remember him as being a real nice person, and a good boat racer.

Sorry I don't know more.

RogerH

Default From Frank Novotny

Frank is having trouble logging in right now so he asked me if I'd post his THANKS to those that have responded. Frank and I are just starting our "education" with Quincy Loopers and really appreciate your comments and help.
    Regards,
    Roger Hinsdale

My Quincy's = "C" Deflector C202 and "D" Looper FD 67

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FC64, FG52 & FC62 Loopers

Hi Frank & other Looper fans,

Frank wanted some info on the 3 Loopers he recently purchased. Jeff Lytle was so kind to pass on to Frank the info I had given him for FC64.

As to the other 2 Loopers --
    FC (not FG) 52: the original owner on record was Phil Crown. The original bore was 2.127,
    piston dimensions were as follows: 900 -20 over 15 degrees L Ring P.I.B.
    It was manufactured in the fall of 1965.

FC62: the original owner on record was .......hang on, because this is a big find.......the great Bruce Nicholson. Yes, that Bruce Nicholson of championship alky runabout fame.
    The original bore was 2.140,
    piston dimensions were as follows: 905 -20 over 15 degrees L Ring P.I.B.
    It was probably manufactured late 1965 or early 1966.

This information comes directly from the original Quincy Welding serial number shop book that my father, O. F. Christner, handed off to me when we closed the doors of Quincy Welding/ Precision Machine.

Richard Ollhoff is a big Looper collector and fan that also happens to recreate a running 6 cylinder Looper for sale and many of the parts for Quincy Looper engines. He can be reached at 715-453-0741 or cell 715-218-1615.

Good luck with your restorations and welcome to the Looper Club.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: To those looking for Looper treasures, there is still the potential to find some extremely valuable Loopers out there. Names like Marshall Grant, Billy Seebold, John Woods, Ray Nydahl, Jerry Simison, Pete Voss, Dick Odea, Jim Schoch & Gerry Waldman. To keep the treasure hunt fair for everyone, I will not give out the serial numbers of these famous engines here & now, but will confirm your numbers if you purchase one of them. Happy treasure hunting to all!

By the way, the Waldman A Looper that someone mentioned as being for sale earlier today was featured in a thread right here on the Quincy Looper section of BRF - you can check out the pictures and history on that thread. It's on page 2 of the Quincy threads under the title "Waldman A."

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I am fully awake ... Frank should be reset.

I can't wait to hear them run.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

hi all,

i want to thanks all who have sent repliesho helped me get back into brf. paul it was an honor hearing from you. your history helps a lot. i am excited on the find. now to get to work. i've torn down part of fc52. i had to start there since 52 was my racing number.

rule number one if you have open exhaust and going to store on engine in a barn for 40 years.... COVER THE OPENINGS. this was not done and i had a ton of dirt from bees in the cyls. so far the elbows are off, the cyl heards are off, and with some doing the flywheel is off. it is now taking a wd40 bath before the front plate comes off and the crank comes out.

i will keep updating. i have some pictures and will post as soon as i load them on the pc.

take care all,

frank novotny

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi all,

here are some pictures of 2 of the project engines. fc 52 and fc 62. fc 52 is the first one to go under the wrench. we had a sucessful fly wheel launching on sunday. that baby flew across the garage floor. the tear down pictures show the condition on the clys as best i could. looks like #2 cly is the worst. has a bunch of crude and some pitting in it. it also had the most mud from the bees. i hope it will clean up with honing. #4 piston is hisitory. from the top you can see the ring i one section. that's not a good sign.

paul, do you know the total production of the c loopers? i've heard 115, 125 and 133.

hope you enjoy,

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul, thanks for the info. That book must have some very interesting history. I like your game plan.

Thanks for posting the pics Frank. It brings back a lot of great memories. I happened to have raced against Phil and Bruce with those very motors at the beginning of my racing history. That photo I posted a couple of weeks ago of Phil Crown in a runabout may have that motor on it. The race was in Mexico in November 1965. Looking forward to more posts on the progress.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the poor pictures of the cyls. have to admit it was a great picture of my geo tracker. here are cyls #2 and #4. note the missing chunk on #4 @ 2o'clock.

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information