Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Qunicy Loopers FC64 FG52 FC62

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default slowly coming together

hi all,

sorry for not posting in a while but i'm waiting on the tower to come back from the powder coating place. he's a little slow. i'm actually on vacation in myrltle, sc for the week. as i was leaving i did get the elbows back but the camera was packed and i wasn't able to take any pictures yet. i will when i get back on sunday. i did put the reed cages together with new stops fron a mark 30. i seems that on 4 of the stops about 1/4 to 1/2 of the stop was missing. like in eaten away. i think that's what was being beaten into the heads. i guess nitro was the cause? can't think that plain alky would have done that. anyway the stops ate replaced and so have the damages reeds. that nitro is some nasty stuff. the looper must have been rode hard and put away wet. i filed the heads like frank v recommended and they were a little warped. had that corrected too. when i get back i'll work on the radius and post an after picture. thanks for the help frank.

this waiting for the the tower is very frustrating. but it will all be worth it. still want to fire it up before the snow comes. heck before the leaves change.

wish i could have made it to depue this year, i will be there the next time.

take care all,

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the pieces are back!

hi all,

i finally got the pieces back from the coating guy. i've attached the before and after pictures to this posting. i'm still waiting on a few pieces but the tower and lower unit can go back together. i've got to pick up a few bolts and washers for the block and work on the radius around the exhaust side of the combustion chamber. hope you enjoy the pictures.

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really looking forward to seeing these motors completed.

Hope one (both) of you remember to have someone with a digital camera set on video when you light them up for the 1st time. That would be a treat for all of us.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be Jeff, I have the fuel

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i can't wait!

jeff,

i can't wait until we fire it up the first time. dave agustine, like he said, will be there. that fuel thing is important. he will be the camera man. i'm hoping to get others there too. i know big dave (dave, sr) will be there too. just like when i raced those many years ago.... i mean just a few years ago. that was when davie agustine was 9 years old.

i ned to polish the midsection of the block then bolt it to the block. waiting on one more part for assembly.

right now i'm trying to move my 86 yo mom into an apartment in a retirement community near me. sold her house in 6 days needs to move out by 9/25 and the apt won't be ready until december. let the fun begin.

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fbref5269 View Post
    jeff,

i can't wait until we fire it up the first time. dave agustine, like he said, will be there. that fuel thing is important. he will be the camera man. i'm hoping to get others there too. i know big dave (dave, sr) will be there too. just like when i raced those many years ago.... i mean just a few years ago. that was when davie agustine was 9 years old.

frank

This reminds me, since I'm too young to have run loopers with Og and the rest of the cavemen......

What is the mixing ratio for these things? Just alcohol and oil, no monkey juice......

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default og here

davie,

i just read your message and that was the laugh i needed today. thank you.... me and my caveman possee can't wait to get the right mixture to fireup fc52 and start to make new memories.

og aka frank

RogerH

Default FD-67 Status - Fire-up???

Frank and I have been learning a lot from several people who have enjoyed these motors for years. I really appreciate all your help, and we'll no doubt need more help before these motors make noise again.

I've fitted the new rings and was about to complete the assembly of the block. Two things will delay that for me. The best excuse is our daughter is about to have our first grand-child and we are leaving for NY this Sunday for the month of Sept. The 2nd reason almost doesn't count, but I have decided to make two new reed blocks for this motor. I just couldn't put it back together with the small cages that Phil Crown was running. This will take a while (after I get back from NY), but shouldn't be too difficult. I have them scribed for machining already. The rest of the motor is ready to be assembled. The LU is rebuilt and ready for paint.
    Take care - see you in a month.
    Roger

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default congrats roger

roger,

congrats on the first grandchild!!! thay are so cool. we have 2, grandson 3 and a granddaughter 6 months. your mission,, if you chose to accept is to spoil them rotten and feed them sugar before you give them back. one other thing, keep your wife out of the stores. whenever we go shopping there must be a nana magnet to the sale rack of kids clothes. kinda like when us guys go to sears and stay in the tool department. have a safe trip and we want pictures....

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i need some input on the tourque for the bolts

hi all,

i need some help on how tight to fasten the bolts on the looper. but before i list the sizes i have top share a funny story that happened today. i was refereeing a freshamn high school football game today and at the coin flip the referee said he was going to ask the captains if anyone could guess who's picture was on the dollar coin they would win the toss. he had a 1976 ike dollar. there were 8 captains there(4 from each side). no one know who he was!!!! should i feel old cuz i knew who he was or is the school system not doing there job?

now back to the project..... the ehaust elbows are being fastened on with 1/4x20 socket cap screws with the small black washers made for them. the heads will be fastened on with 5/16x18 socket head cap screws with the black washers made for them. what's the tourque used on them? also what is the tightening pattern used to tighten them up?

the gasket material i'm using for the elbows and the midsection came from napa. it's brown and looks like cork, but it's not. the stuff is pretty tough. is this the right gasket material?

is there anyone out there who has a spare oven i can use to bake the enamel on to the head gaskets???? i've been married 33 years and i think that may be pushing the envelope a little. i think i reached my limit sunday when i was cutting the gaskets and assembling the block and the midsection on the dining room table using the wifes cutting board.

any help with the numbers would be great.

frank

Thread Information