Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Qunicy Loopers FC64 FG52 FC62

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Loopers FC64 FC52 FC62

Frank,

When you get to the point of cleaning the blocks, give Richard Ollhoff a call. As I said previously, he is a Looper restorer & not only that, he restores $100,000 board track racing motorcycles from the frame up and has extensive experience in refinishing the surfaces of extremely valuable racing engines that are made of aluminum. I've seen his work and I am impressed.

I've also seen some engine restorations where the people have ruined the aluminum casting's original patina by improperly glass beading or sand blasting the surface of the aluminum with the wrong grit and air pressure.

As I stated previously, Richard's phone is 715-453-0741 and his cell is 715-218-1615.

You asked how many C Loopers were produced by Quincy Welding. According to my shop records & first hand knowledge of how we maintained records (and sometimes didn't), my best guestimate would be somewhere between 113 - 133 in total. I am finding out as time goes on that not every Quincy R&D engine was entered into the permanent record book. You have to remember that Quincy Welding was a small business that sometimes became completely overwhelmed by the racing portion of our business. Looking back, we all know there were times in our past that we should have written down things pertaining to racing that we didn't.

Keep us updated as you do the restoration by posting more pictures here.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS to Wayne Baldwin: Would you please repost that picture you think you have of Phil Crown racing that Looper of Frank's here? Thanks for the nice words.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paul,

thanks for the heads up with richard and his services. after i saw your posting on the roger hinsdale posting i called him and we have spoken several times. as a matter of fact we spoke today about the pitting problem in #2 cyl. i asked him if he thought i may need to get the cyls bored out because of the pitting. his answer was a classic. he said to hone them out and slight pitting was not a problem. he said we call the pitting 'oil pockets'. he is a super guy! he is going to get back to me on some new pistons and rings. all this is before i pull the crank and take a look.

that would be super if i could get a picture of bruce nichols running the looper. i should have that on here very soon and will post pictures. that was taken care of very well for what i understand.

this website is just like family with all the help and replies. you are all great! roger hinsdale and i are in touch every day and this is what it's all about.

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default seen a nice 1!!

Seen an old c looper in Iowa at Shultz Marine recently, understand it's going on an old hydro.
    Doug, fill in the blanks.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paul,

i will get in touch with richard ollhoff before doing any sandblasting. thanks for the heads up. do not want to mess it up! as i get into the power head i have come to realize how much of an engineering marvel the looper is! this is the stuff the history channel should do on their engineering marvel show.

here's a question for paul and others...... fastners.... i was thinking about using all stainless to bolt the loopers together. i've been told that they are not as strong as the cap screws and the case hardened bolts used for the heads. i want to use something that will have the strength but not rust. any thoughts?

frank

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay Paul & Frank here is that pic of Phil Crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

Check with my dad (Dave) we have a couple of Konig lower units and I think he has a line on a boat.

Dave

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wayne,

that picture is great! thanks. i called tim burden back and he said the runabout in the picture may be available. he will be letting me knoe. wouldn't that be cool to end up with that boat, the engine and your picture in a boat show display! wonder how i can get the boat to maryland from texas? thanks again for the picture.

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

davey,

i talked to your dad this morning and he was going down pops this afternoon. he told me about the konig units and he may have a d test wheel also. i will be firing the looper up in a test tank in my neighborhood when she's done! may scare some wildlife and defolliate some trees.

not to embarrass you, but i remember picking your jsh(the watermellon seed) with you dad and taking it to the water with you in it. sorry i'm showing my age. great picture of you in e-71.

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fbref5269 View Post
    ... Also i will hopefuly be running these in a local race next summer. I will be posting pictures soon...
    Frank,

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it run! Just don't expect me to take it to the water with you in it......

I'll show my age too, it was probably 1970

It looks like we have a race in Sharptown, Maryland June 23-24, if you can make it.

Dave

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave,

guess i gotta call you dave now. huh. you can do it with me in the boat if you operate the crane.

don't think it will be ready by then but i am planning to go to the race. it would be nice if i can get it together by then.

i think it was 71 when you had the 'seed' you had the new merc j engine on it.

frank

Thread Information