Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can someone identify this gearcase

Post Thanks / Like

Default can someone identify this gearcase

I recently picked up 3 old Johnson and 1 old Evinrude racing engines and could use some help identifying them. I only took pictures of this Johnson tonight. The other Johnson motors look almost identicle to this one and they say PR55 on the flywheel. This motor doen't say anything on it. This is the only one with this type gearcase on it. They all have Vacturi carbs and a rotory valve except the Evinrude and it is a speeditwin. The lower unit says "107" on the lower unit and it also has a what appears to be a dragon above the number. Can anyone shed some light on this please. I know very little about the old Johnson and Evinrude motors. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Johnson PR alky burning racing engine. Usually, they are not original, as parts were added as the OEM stuff became scarce or outdated. These parts usually included the heads, crankcases, rods and cylinders, and sometimes rotary valves. The names Fuller, Jones, and Hubbell come to mind as suppliers for these parts, but they are usually id's by some kind of name or initial in the cast. Clyde Wiseman, aka Wiseco usually supplied the pistons for these engines in their later popular years. He also made a pile of neat accessories too like ignition plates and bowden cable holders. There were various mnfgr's for after market lower units as well, with names like Starnes and Hubbell being the most popular. These engines, including the Speeditwin usually bring a fair dollar if restored and advertised to the right market.

The steel brackets going from head to head were to prevent the cylinders from blowing off if the engine sucked in alot of water when you dumped. They would usually break off right at the crankcase where they are bolted on if not supported in this way. The thought of the day was, why ruin a good set of cylinders when doing this sort of bracing would cost you a set of rods.
    Want a challenge? Restore one and take her for a rip! They are alot of fun to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks Jeff. I am not sure what to do with them. Right now I am trying to find out what I have. The other gearcases I assume are stock racing units. they have a bolt in the front and have a bigger torpedo than this one. I would really like to find out who made this gearcase. I would think the dragon or snake or whatever it is can help identify it. I do know they are going to be loud! When the PR's were put away many years ago, they put the pistons back in with no rings(I guess so they wouldn't seize up over time?). They have 2 ring piston with pretty thick rings. I dug up all kinds of neat stuff this weekend including a pair of n.o.s. Twister 2 timing belts in a box from Dick Sherer with a card in it from Ed Lane @ Merit Marine!

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is it's a Hubbell, since it's identical to the one I used to have on my PR. Same water p/u, same cavitation plate, same screw on nosecone. I don'r remember any id numbers or marks on mine either. The dragon isn't a manufacturers id either--never saw one of those before.

As for the other units you have with the bolt on the front, they sound like stock, but a pic would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I Will Post Pics Of The Other Engines Tonight. Thanks Again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Russ Hill

Can tell you more about the PR then the factory Johnson engineers. He is restoring one of the motors right now...

Post Thanks / Like

Here Are A Few More Pics Of The Other Motors. I Also Found In A Box An Original Old Johnson And Elto Racing Spec Sheet For Use By The Race Inspectors That Is For Motors From 1933 To 1940.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

oldalkydriver

Default Eyes are bad but....

My eyes are getting bad (even noticing less women) however it appears that the lower left and the two lower right are 'C' Service enginees. The PR55 might have a hubbel unit, but I kind of think it was an 'F' unit. Lots of PR's ran an 'F' unit until Hubbel and Starnes started making more stream lined units for 'C' class. Toprahanian had an old 'F' unit that had the "dragon' symbol on it. Right over a number. If I remember correctly my asking him what it was, he explained that he had sent the unit to someone who worked over the gears and slimmed the outside of the unti down.

I just hope my memory isn't as bad as my eyes!

Post Thanks / Like

Al, I think you are correct.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a litle studying myself...Lemmme axe ya...Are there screws recessed on the bottom of that case similar to how an
    OMC/A case is bolted together, or is there an unscrewable tail? I think Al's right, it looks alot like an F case

Thread Information