Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Team Johnson

Havasu, November 1972....32 years ago....Jeff Briggs, Mac McCune, Art Kennedy, Tommy Posey, Johnny Sanders....Nordskog's name on a boat, but he wasn't Team Johnson...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sweet victory

32 years.....I was 10 years old and remember this well. My older brother was a Mercury fan and I was all for OMC. Mercury had been kicking OMC's butt at all the big races. This was the first year of single engine boats. Seebold flipped early, Velden blew over and was seriously injured. Johnny Sanders had been trying for years to win this race and finally did with a Scotti Craft and a Stinger GP.

The following year Mercury refused to enter claiming the new OMC rotary engine had an unfair advantage. (It is unlikely that the rotary engines could have survived two days of racing). That was the end of Havasu as we knew and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I was gonna bid on this ..

for a OMC buddy of mine and I forgot about it the day of the auction. Damn, he woulda liked this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Havasu, November 1972....32 years ago....Jeff Briggs, Mac McCune, Art Kennedy, Tommy Posey, Johnny Sanders....Nordskog's name on a boat, but he wasn't Team Johnson...
    Hi Ron, got the impression you were ther in -72, do you remember
    Dieter Schulze (111) attending wis his new picklefork and Johnson Stinger, if so how he finished ?

Can you tell me how I can enclose pictures to a quote ?
    Thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like

Dieter Schulze, got the picture from Dieter winther -72, told me it was taken in Lake Havasu, not sure weather he attended the race. He build the next boat for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

the picture was taken 1972 in Parker, not Lake Havasu..
    Dieter went there with Michael Werner...
    Best Regards,

Roman
    Vienna/Austria

P.S. The picture showes Dieter and me 2005-12-28 in his house.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pic, Roman! Next time you see Dieter tell him his class win at Havasu in 1966 is known as the beginning of tunnel hull racing era in the US.

Please ask him if these details are correct:

He built the boat at the Sidson shop in New Jersey, had the motors prepaired by Jon Culver in Ohio and trailered the rig from Ohio to Arizona with a used station wagon. After the race he sold the boat to Bud Babbitt.

I know something that would be of great interest .... could you ask Herr Schulze when he built his first tunnel hull and where he raced it? Does he have any pictures of it?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stingray240cs
    Hi,

the picture was taken 1972 in Parker, not Lake Havasu..
    Dieter went there with Michael Werner...
    Best Regards,

Roman
    Vienna/Austria

P.S. The picture showes Dieter and me 2005-12-28 in his house.
    Thanks alot Roman for the information and the picture of yourselves and this great gentleman. I had the pleasure of owning/racing three Schulze's, one -71 SE class, one -71 ON class and the boat after the "parker" one.
    Please all my regards to this gentleman and the best wishes for a happy new year. By the way, is Dieter still manufacturing boats ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi boys,
    I had a long chat with Dieter on the 28-th. I took all the old pictures from his workshop for scanning, but give me some more days to od it.
    Dieter is not more building boats, the market died more or less - its a shame.
    The biggiest problem is - Dieter has in total cca. 25 pictures from his racing career. For a 17-time World and European Champ its not to much.
    The worst for me is that there is no one about Dieter racing hydro with Crescent CS500 where he won the C Stock European Championship 1961/62.
    Do you know somebody who could have some?

Sam,
    the story 1966 was a bit different. Dieter was picked up by Dick o Dea from the Kennedy airport and driven to New Jersey.At Sid´s workshop he has built his boat and his friend Frank from Canada picked Dieter up in NJ. They drove to Lake Havasu. Dieter agreed with J. Culver to get two Mercury´s for the race. Jon brought the Mercs to LH and Dieter tested them there. He decided to use only one engine, as the double was too heavy incl. the extra fuel and the speed was only slightly higher with two engines. After he has won the race the boat stayed with J.Culver and Dieter went back to Austria.

That´s the story for today, I´m looking for your comments and hopefully pictures from Crescents and Schulze boats. Dieter was racing Nr. 111 and 114.
    Best Regards from the snowy Austria
    Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingray240cs
    Hi boys,
    I had a long chat with Dieter on the 28-th. I took all the old pictures from his workshop for scanning, but give me some more days to od it.
    Dieter is not more building boats, the market died more or less - its a shame.
    The biggiest problem is - Dieter has in total cca. 25 pictures from his racing career. For a 17-time World and European Champ its not to much.
    The worst for me is that there is no one about Dieter racing hydro with Crescent CS500 where he won the C Stock European Championship 1961/62.
    Do you know somebody who could have some?

Sam,
    the story 1966 was a bit different. Dieter was picked up by Dick o Dea from the Kennedy airport and driven to New Jersey.At Sidīs workshop he has built his boat and his friend Frank from Canada picked Dieter up in NJ. They drove to Lake Havasu. Dieter agreed with J. Culver to get two Mercuryīs for the race. Jon brought the Mercs to LH and Dieter tested them there. He decided to use only one engine, as the double was too heavy incl. the extra fuel and the speed was only slightly higher with two engines. After he has won the race the boat stayed with J.Culver and Dieter went back to Austria.

Thatīs the story for today, Iīm looking for your comments and hopefully pictures from Crescents and Schulze boats. Dieter was racing Nr. 111 and 114.
    Best Regards from the snowy Austria
    Roman
    Hi again Roman, sorry to hear that Dieter have so few pictures, I will contact friends in Sweden and Norway to investigate, may be Leif Ahlborg, Kent Rohm, Erik Braathen can help out.

Picture of my ON Schulze, year -73, unluckily I flipped it the first race (had to beat the Merc's) and was badly injured.

Thread Information