Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roger Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Val:

It's amazing that it took me so long to figure out how street smart he was. What really sucks is that I did not figure it out till it was too late.

Joe

I never told you, but one time in Havasu, your dad sat me down on the sidewalk outside the hotel and warned me of something he saw coming regarding my non-boat related future. But I didn't listen. And I sure paid a price for that! I will always regret that I didn't heed his advice. I'll have to fill you in sometime. When it came to advice he gave me, your dad was always right.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe,

I was just cleaning out some boxes from years ago and ran across this ink painting I did way back when I was going to community college in Kingman. I had intended to finish this and give it to your dad, but ended up moving to Texas and left it back at moms. It then disappeared and I never saw it again.

She gave me a few boxes of stuff years ago, but I never knew this painting was inside one of those boxes, folded up!

It's a pretty big painting - about 2' x 3'. I'm not sure if you'd want it or not, but if you do, I probably can figure out a way to get it to you.

My big regret is that I didn't get to finish it and give it to your dad.

A shame that it now has a fold in the middle of it too...

The second image shows you how large it is...with the standard sized CD in the corner..
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Boat Racing Artwork

Val,
    This is a great drawing. The nicest work I have seen. It deserves a nice frame. What a tribute to a great racer and even more remarkable person. Joe, that is a great photo of Roger in a runabout. He would be very proud of how you are doing with yours. Nice seeing you and Teri in DePue. Can you get Teri to post some history about her family? I know that my Dad knew Bob when they were racing. A great guy who was always very nice to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch, Alan. You know, I went to art school in Colorado with the dream of one day getting a job with Powerboat Magazine. So, whenever the instructors would give me assignment, I always tried to incorporate "race boats" into the theme so that my portfolio would look enticing to PB's then-art director John Whorral.

Eventually, this got me into a little trouble as the educators said my porfolio needed to be "more balanced" since I wouldn't want to be limited to a 'boating mag'. But the problem was that I wasn't inspired unless my subject matter was boat racing!

One final assignment was to design a "TIME LIFE BOOKS" brochure. The instructor gave us a list of TIME LIFE categories - Gardening, Cooking, Hiking, etc. But there wasn't a single nautical-themed title listed anywhere! So I went to the library and lo and behold...I discovered there indeed *WAS* a "Library of Boating" category under TIME LIFE BOOKS.

So when I turned in my 15-page "Boating" brochure with Jimbo McConnell on the cover, I thought the teacher was going to kick me right out of school. LOL

Thread Information