Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: James "Jim" H. Jost

Post Thanks / Like

Default James "Jim" H. Jost

James 'Jim" H. Jost

Ron, I received the following today. Jim Jost passed away on May 26. Would you do me a favor and put something on the site. Jim put many boat racers on the water and was instrumental in the SE Race of Champions and Mini Grand Prix. Thanks, Jim Nerstrom

Subject: James H. Jost Passes On
    To Those Whom I Believe Knew My Dad,
    After 6 or more years fighting Alzheimer’s and simply old age, my father passed away early Saturday morning May 26th. He was 88 years old. All of us kids are doing well with it and in the end, it was a blessing. The obituary will be in Tuesday’s Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and online at http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=11

If you know of people who knew my dad and should be informed of the news.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-24-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Jost

In 1973, when I was 11 years old, I sat down and wrote a letter to Outboard Marine Corporation. My letter was not addressed to any one person, just OMC. In my letter I suggested that the OMC rotary engine be installed on a hydroplane to get the world speed record back from Mercury, which Jim Merten had just broke. As a little tyke sending such a letter to the corporate "giant", I did not know what to expect and really did not expect a reply. Well, I got a reply. It was on OMC letter head and was typed on a typewriter in those days. The reply basically said 'thank you for the suggestion about getting the speed record back, we know that we can get the record back if we want to.' Enclosed with the letter were some OMC racing pics and articles. The letter was pen signed......by Jim Jost.

I don't think that I mentioned being a kid in my letter. But I think he knew.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Jim Jost Story

Whenever Jim and Charlie went to a boat race Jim would drive. On several occasions I tagged along and sat in the back seat. Anyone who knew Jim knows how much he liked to talk and that he ALWAYS wanted to look at you when talking. It used to scare the heck out of me when Jim would turn around and start talking to me while driving. To the best of my knowledge he never had an accident, but I was still scared.

During the Daytona 500, Evinrude would sponsor a fishing tournament on the infield lake and donate a boat/motor to the winner. Most of the drivers were fisherman so they participated. Jim was the guy who put all of this together and knew every driver on a first name basis. I remember one year seeing Jim with a hat signed by all the drivers. When not on the race course Dale Earnhardt and Neil Bonnett were fishing buddies. Dale had a V6 Mercury and Neil a V6 Evinrude. At Jim’s request, we built Neil a killer motor so he could beat Dale to the fishing hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Jost Was THE GREATEST....

A few years back, I had heard that Jim had passed away, so when I got word this week of Jim's passing, my mind slipped back to 1956....

My dad, mom and I were coming home from the Stock Nationals in Cambridge, Maryland and we decided to race at Eaton Rapids, Michigan...

Coming from California, I'd never seen so much GREEN...not money, green grass, green trees, green bushes...As the races were going on the announcer kept talking about The National CHAMPEEN....When AU came, the announcer said I was third place at the National Champeenship in Maryland...

Later this same announcer was talking about an accident and they needed an AVALANCHE...."Would the doctor report to the avalanche??"

My dad explained that some people had an "ACCENT" and that the announcer was Jim Jost, "That Guy who worked for the Pressure Cooker Company." (Jim was racing a Martin in those days, and the Martin was made by a Pressure Cooker Company....).

My dad said, Jim Jost had been selling furniture, too, but that he was now with Mercury, helping sell boat racing....

Over the next 8-10 years I ran into Jim and his wife, Irene, at many races and APBA functions. Jim was Stock VP, OPC VP and even President of APBA, as I recall. God, he loved boat racing. He printed many brochures on how to run a race...How to start racing...

When he "Followed" Charlie (Strang) to OMC, he put on the Chicago-Milwaukee-Chicago Marathon with the help of Jim Moran, World's Largest Ford dealer...I managed to win this race, and Jimmy got my picture in every boating magazine in the world (As this was the first win for Evinrude in the modern "Charlie Strang" era...).

In 1968, they moved this marathon to Milwaukee and raced Milwaukee-Chicago-Milwaukee. Joe Haybay won, but I was second. On Monday, I needed to catch an early flight to LAX, as I wanted to go to Seattle to the 1968 Stock Nationals, then on to DePue...

I spent Sunday night with a fellow boat racer, Jim Mual (MULE) and his wife...But Jimmy picked me up Monday morning, got my second place check cashed and got me to my flight...

And I do know, what Jim Nerstrom says about Jim and talking, few out talk me....and Jim looked at you when he talked...

Off I went to LAX...Didn't see Jim until Havasu, that November...Jim always asked about my dad, if he didn't see him.... Jim was head of PR at EVINRUDE and he was PERFECT for the JOB!!!

When we were getting MOD VP going, Jim helped everyone. Bill Muncey was driving a Glastron... At one Havasu Classic we had 26 MOD VP's, 25 were Evinrudes or Johnson's, all of which had come through Jim Jost's hands...

He'd Memo me a motor...Then, when I had to pay for it, he'd send me an new powerhead and gearcase...(In case my old one was bad). When my powerheads blew up, I'd send them to Jim Nerstrom... I'd get the damnest *** CHEWING letter for trying to warranttee a motor and the letter would end with "RETURNING CUSTOMER PROPERT".....In the box would be a BRAND NEW SHORT BLOCK....

I'd call Jimmy and explain I wasn't trying to get my motor warranteed and I'd say I was sorry. Sometimes I'd send a letter saying I just wanted them to know that stuff broke...Jimmy would "Wink" at me...

When the Evinrude 3 cyclinder came out, Jimmy sent me an new one for CLUB PATROL BOAT....(Every year), Dan Schwarzenbach (Southwest Marine and later, Apple Valley marine)would buy the old motor and Jimmy would send the club another one....(Schwarzenbach paid Evinrude)...

I'm sorry to admit this, but the last conversation I had with Jimmy wasn't pleasant. I had a serious discussion when him regarding Jimbo McConnell. We never crossed paths again, after that, but I know had we seen each other again, any hard feeling would have been quickly forgotten...

God speed, Jiimmy!

Picture is of the trophy I won at Eaton rapid, Michigan, 1956... I was almost National CHAMPEENION....This is one of my favorite trophies...Jimmy was a GREAT announcer.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-30-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Ron said, Jim was one of the best.............Can't tell you how many times he helped me out over the years. And if something needed to be done or taken care of, if Jim couldn't make it happen, it just couldn't happen. Back in the day, I think Jim and Barry were in control somhow of everything that happened outside the building.

Like Nerstrom said, you went to Nascar function, Jost's name might as well have been France.

First time I went to a Nascar race, Jost gets us these passes, tells me "Bill you can go anywhere with these". I didn't know any better, never been there before. So we get to the race, to pick up our credentials, stop at this little counter, give our names, the guy pulls out this 3 page list and we're not on it, tells us, sorry you're not on the list. So somewhere in the conversation we said, can't believe Jost forgot to get us on the list. The guy says "Jim Jost"? I reply, yes. He reaches in his pocket pulls out this little piece of paper with like 6 names on it, says oh here you are, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were on Mr. Jost's list or something like that.

So these passes were a different color than the other ones you saw. So I start testing them, we go in the pits, walk anywhere, went up to some hospitality area that said "no admittance" walked right in. I was in Miller's bus having a Brat Pattie that Elaine made, sitting at the table with her and this foreign looking guy BSing, having lunch, nice guy, it was Felix S. (not going to try to spell his last name). I watched the end of the race sitting on the pit wall. We met up with Neil Bonnett who at the time was doing TV interviews, we started talking told him we were with OMC, it was like we were old buddies and he took us around with him while he did interviews, met all the great ones, stood there and shot the **** with him and DE, amazing, and all because of Jim.

He should have been a politician, he knew everyone, everywhere, remembered everything about them, there names, their wives names, their kids names.

I never knew this till way after I wet him but when I was a kid, I worked at a roller rink, my Dad was cop in town and worked there also. This was down near Chicago. Anyway somehow I mentioned that to Jim, He used to go there way back when. He starts rattling of the owners names, there families, did you know so and so, like it was the day before.

Jim was a great guy, one of the best....................

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Only saw him once

It was at the 1976 O P C nationals,at Dayton. He was friendly, and gave out ,to me and others ,(official) Evinrude racing patches . I thought he was giving me a gold mine . Very friendly, as though he had always been a close freind. I was there with Bob Larson & Paul Bender . what a memory . Thanks , Jim . - R I P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimmy Jost By Charlie Strang

From July 2007 Propeller:

James H. Jost

Our friend Jimmy crossed the final finish line. James H. Jost of
    Menomonee Falls, WI passed away at the age of 88 on May 26, 2007,
    after a long illness.

That it was the opening day of the Memorial Day weekend was most
    appropriate, for Jim grew up just in time to face the rigors of World
    War II. Enlisting in the Army just as America entered that awful
    conflagration, Jim entered Europe on a Normandy beachhead and fought
    through France and Germany until he was captured and confined in a
    Nazi prisoner-of-war camp. By the time he was freed by the Allies in
    the closing days of the war, Jim had been reduced to skin and bones.
    Back home in Chicago and healthy again, he became excited about
    APBA’s new, exploding Stock Outboard category. Beginning in 1953, he
    enthusiastically drove a “B” Stock hydro in races throughout Regions
    6 and 7.
    Jim soon combined his love of racing with a zest for leadership in
    the sport. He started one or more racing clubs, found new race sites
    and refereed. He served as Chairman of Region 7 from 1955 through 1957.
    Ever ambitious and unafraid of hard work, Jim rocketed to the top
    ranks of APBA. He advanced to Deputy Commissioner, Stock Outboard
    Commissioner and Vice President (1959-1962), Outboard Pleasure Craft
    Vice President, APBA Senior VP (1963-64), and APBA President (1965
    and 1966).
    In recognition of his many accomplishments, APBA named Jim an
    Honorary Life Member and in 1967 elected him to the APBA Honor
    Squadron. Never was a member more deserving. He never lost his
    enthusiasm for the APBA and boat racing.
    During his rise in the ranks of APBA, Jim left the stationery
    business he shared with his brother John, and entered the marine
    marketing field. He worked first with Kiekhaefer Mercury, then with
    Evinrude Motors. During this time he played a large role in creating
    the OPC category, and establishing the Evinrude 100 MPH Club (to
    replace the departed Gulf Marine 100 MPH Club), as well as promotion
    of better safety equipment and compulsory insurance for drivers.
    Jim’s other contributions to the APBA and to the sport in general are
    simply too numerous to mention.
    Through all of this Jim’s wife Irene (the former Irene Maher)
    enthusiastically supported him and never missed an event, even as
    they raised a fine family of five.
    Irene predeceased Jim. He leaves his children Jim, Pat (Dave)
    Daniels, Janet (Ron) Boie, John, Jay (Sally) and Jeff. He was a
    caring grandfather to Jimmy, Michael, Chris, Renee, Joe, Katie,
    Hannah and Emily, and leaves many other other relatives and friends.
    Funeral services were held Fri., June 1 in Menomonee Falls, WI.
    Donations are suggested to the Alzheimer’s Association, 800-272-3900
    or 225 N. Michigan Ave., Fl. 17, Chicago, Ill. 60601-7633. The
    family sends special thanks to the Vitas Hospice and the Riverview
    Village Community for the special care and attention given to Jim.
    Goodby, buddy.
    —Charlie Strang

Post Thanks / Like

Jim was head of PR at Evinrude when I ran 1977-85 and was very enthusiastic about supporting racing. He took lots of photos at the OPC Nationals and at Havasu and sent them to drivers. He also was known to send a motor to a driver once in a while. I have very good memories of him. My link to him now is via Edgar Rose, whom I still see. Edgar is still very active in OPC as Inspector, and his interest in how surface-piercing propellers work has not diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    From July 2007 Propeller:

James H. Jost

Our friend Jimmy crossed the final finish line. James H. Jost of
    Menomonee Falls, WI passed away at the age of 88 on May 26, 2007,
    after a long illness.

That it was the opening day of the Memorial Day weekend was most
    appropriate, for Jim grew up just in time to face the rigors of World
    War II. Enlisting in the Army just as America entered that awful
    conflagration, Jim entered Europe on a Normandy beachhead and fought
    through France and Germany until he was captured and confined in a
    Nazi prisoner-of-war camp. By the time he was freed by the Allies in
    the closing days of the war, Jim had been reduced to skin and bones.
    Back home in Chicago and healthy again, he became excited about
    APBA’s new, exploding Stock Outboard category. Beginning in 1953, he
    enthusiastically drove a “B” Stock hydro in races throughout Regions
    6 and 7.
    Jim soon combined his love of racing with a zest for leadership in
    the sport. He started one or more racing clubs, found new race sites
    and refereed. He served as Chairman of Region 7 from 1955 through 1957.
    Ever ambitious and unafraid of hard work, Jim rocketed to the top
    ranks of APBA. He advanced to Deputy Commissioner, Stock Outboard
    Commissioner and Vice President (1959-1962), Outboard Pleasure Craft
    Vice President, APBA Senior VP (1963-64), and APBA President (1965
    and 1966).
    In recognition of his many accomplishments, APBA named Jim an
    Honorary Life Member and in 1967 elected him to the APBA Honor
    Squadron. Never was a member more deserving. He never lost his
    enthusiasm for the APBA and boat racing.
    During his rise in the ranks of APBA, Jim left the stationery
    business he shared with his brother John, and entered the marine
    marketing field. He worked first with Kiekhaefer Mercury, then with
    Evinrude Motors. During this time he played a large role in creating
    the OPC category, and establishing the Evinrude 100 MPH Club (to
    replace the departed Gulf Marine 100 MPH Club), as well as promotion
    of better safety equipment and compulsory insurance for drivers.
    Jim’s other contributions to the APBA and to the sport in general are
    simply too numerous to mention.
    Through all of this Jim’s wife Irene (the former Irene Maher)
    enthusiastically supported him and never missed an event, even as
    they raised a fine family of five.
    Irene predeceased Jim. He leaves his children Jim, Pat (Dave)
    Daniels, Janet (Ron) Boie, John, Jay (Sally) and Jeff. He was a
    caring grandfather to Jimmy, Michael, Chris, Renee, Joe, Katie,
    Hannah and Emily, and leaves many other other relatives and friends.
    Funeral services were held Fri., June 1 in Menomonee Falls, WI.
    Donations are suggested to the Alzheimer’s Association, 800-272-3900
    or 225 N. Michigan Ave., Fl. 17, Chicago, Ill. 60601-7633. The
    family sends special thanks to the Vitas Hospice and the Riverview
    Village Community for the special care and attention given to Jim.
    Goodby, buddy.
    —Charlie Strang

Thread Information