Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed w/ 4-carb Chrysler 150 Stacker

RogerH

Default Help Needed w/ 4-carb Chrysler 150 Stacker

I will be building a 150hp Stacker and want to use this 4-carb intake on the motor. I have no idea what reed blocks and carbs should be used. I was told that the 50hp might fit. Note the bolt pattern for the reed blocks. The motor has high compression heads and some healthy porting.

Any help identifying the reeds and carbs I need to use would be appreciated. If you have some for sale, that would be even better.

Thanks,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Carb Chizzler

Roger,
    Normally, those fronts use manifolds made from the 70-90 3 cylinder motors and use the carbs from the same....reeds are from 3 or 4 cyl motors.

I have a 4 carb motor built by Joe Michellini who teamed up with Jack Oxley and Danny snead for an attempt at the world speed record. They reached 122 on a kilo run in 67.

I have the stuff you need to complete yours and pictures of my motor, for some reason BRF won't let me post them(?).
    You can email me at brichter@intermatic.com or call (815)675-7787.
    Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michellini motor

Ok....I got it to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thoughts along similar lines

Hi, this is Wolfgang in South Africa. I am currently busy with the conversion of a 4-cylinder Force to two 2-bbl carbs off a 140 hp OMC. Also on the project list is the conversion of another late model Force block to throttle-slide programmable fuel injection. For that, two Force 3-cylinder crankcase fronts are used. This requires cutting, TIG welding and line boring, among other things. Chrysler/Force used the same reed-block design for all engines from 50 hp up. Very late (maybe 1997), they introduced a new reed block design with rubberized cage. This is not necessarily required. Boyesen reeds are recommended. With improved carburation and increased compressionI would expect that significanly less ignition advance can be used.
    Has anybody any recommendations regarding advance numbers, when using avgas/racing gas 100/130 and 180 psi compression?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

a cross flow needs more timin, a looper will only take so much, max crank speed is a factor, 20deg max advance on a screemer looper, some you can lean one or so more, start at like 17-18deg and bumpup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    a cross flow needs more timin, a looper will only take so much, max crank speed is a factor, 20deg max advance on a screemer looper, some you can lean one or so more, start at like 17-18deg and bumpup.
    Fred is this based on direct information about the Chryslers or just a guess?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

RogerH

Bill,
    Thanks for straightening me out about the manifold and the parts I need to complete the project. Will post some pictures when I get time to work on this.
    Thanks,
    Roger

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crossflow timing

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    .................................................. .....................
    Seems to me ,if I remember correctly, when I went to Chrysler Outboard School in 1972 , that the timing on a 130 horse 4 cylinder was 36 minus4 degrees . And a good one had about 150 pounds compression/cylinder. ( 36 deg. at cruise throttle, 32 at full throtle)

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

well looks like a Cred' check on thred one, i am how ever failin to see how workin at or not workin at Chrysler would make it a guess, any way "the more efficient
    a engine is the less timein it will tolerate" this is a base point to start, to Start any thing, kinda like salt, you can always add some more, but once you figured out you've gone to far, it's to late, crossflow be more forgiven,been there, more than once

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

rpm range has a lot to do with it, thinkin the range was 5800 or so at that mark.

Thread Information