Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ron Anderson

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bs, vs Ds ?

Hey Smitty, i thought Bs always went faster than Ds!!!
    RichardKCMo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, Smitty...

Smitty, your post is the kind of posts I dreamed of, when I wanted a Boat Racing Encyclopedia. Lon Stevens mentioned Jim Hallums name, seemed like frequently when Lon and I talked, but I never knew anything about him.

Seems the Great Ones, lived this sport 24/7.....

Thanks again, your memory seemed perfect...

ADD: Seems the day Ted May averaged 94 in a C Hydro, powered bya Konig.....Walin's B went 97 (Modesto, around 1964....) There wasn't a "D" that I knew of, that would break 90....as "D" were all cross flows.

Ted's Kongi was really Harry Bartolomei's four carb...Walin's Anzani was a "KILLER" motor...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    A&H stood for "Anderson and Herring." I don't know how many boats Ron and Bob built together, but Ron kept putting that name on the boats he built. His brother Don built some number of boats under the trade name Dart or Dart Craft. ...
    Trivia question ... anyone care to guess what was the original meaning of D.A.R.T when it was first used in reference to Ron Anderson?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll hazard a guess. Ron occasionally referred to himself as "Dumb Andy" by way of comparision to "Smart Andy", Howard Anderson, who was already doing very well financially with his marina. So maybe, "Dumb Andy's Racing Team"??

Ron, I private-messaged Wayne Baldwin some time back that we needed to identify the talented interviewers and writers among us and encourage them to do arranged, extended interviews of the old-timers before they're gone. Craig Fjarlie made a great start on this before I ever suggested it, and I'm particularly glad he got to record Hu Entrop's words a couple of years before he passed away. Someone ought to catch up with Ron Jones, Sr., Ed Karelsen, Howard Anderson, and Ron, too, even though he isn't all that old. I don't feel that I have any particular talent for it, but time and opportunity are flying by . . . .

A particular problem in interviewing is asking all of the questions that various parties might have, and getting the subject to re-tell this or that good story that someone recalls. Ron, do you think it would make sense to develop a place on this site where someone working up a list of questions could lay his ideas out for the readership, and anyone interested could chime in and say, "Be sure and ask him about the time he . . .", and so forth? Also it might encourage some of the more self-effacing types like Jim Hallum to be interviewed at all if the interviewer could hand him a printout with a bunch of his old contemporaries and admirers saying, "Come on and talk to the guy, ya old goat!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Cousin....

My "half-A%$ed" cousin, as I called him, John Heggenburger, told me that the "D" D.A.R.T. stood for Dewey Anderson...seems that ALL I remember...

Didn't Craig Fjarlie interview Jack Leek....?? Some stand questions would be good, though I've never been a "FORM" man...but an outline of questions would be good...

Truth is, wish someone would come up with questions, we could post them....Guys like Rich Fuchlin could ask Lon Stevens questions that I'd never even know to ask...Lon, has some great stories....

AS the dreamer I have always been, I dreamed of having enough money to travel and visit people like Ed Karelsen, Ralph DeSilva, Lon Stevens, the Hedlunds, Dick O'Dea, John Riner Woods, Bill Seebold, Jr., Fred Hauenstein, Jr.....Someday, right now I need to sell some DePue and BRF "T" shirts....

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your idea Smitty and I think about it often, but I have been trying to finish up some stuff I started first. In my opinion you did an excellent job with that Jim Hallum, Ron Anderson, Lee Sutter, Gerry Walin piece you did. It would be great if we could get Rusty Rae to do some stuff on the guys in your area. (or anywhere for that matter) I'll bet Rusty knows a lot of them personally.

The stuff I write about is just stories about things that happened ala Ron Hill style. I have on tape interviews I did with Dieter Konig, Scott Smith, Hans Krage, Jerry Drake, Kurt Mishcke and Karl Bartel, but I am just an amatuer. If you don't have practice at it, it's tough to do a professional interview without it sounding stilted. But we need to start somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I phoned Rusty after you and I discussed this, and his attitude seemed to be that his interest in boat racing had pretty well faded out, that he was into golf or something of that nature. The only problem with Rusty interviewing guys like Jim and Ron would be that he never had any interest in or knowledge of the machinery, the technology, which was always the central interest for those guys.

Rusty did indicate some interest in contacting you, however; did he?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I talked to him over the phone several times since then, in fact, the first time was shortly after you and I had first discussed interviews. I was ready to get started on the first one and rewound the tape I did in Dieter's office in 1975. I had never rewound it from those days and once that Sony got a head of steam going it didn't stop. It spooled the leader right off the reel. I haven't gotten it reattached yet.

I think a bunch of us should take tapes and pencils and tablets to DePue to record what's left of our memories.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably shouldn't speak for either of these two guys but I would think that Craig Fjarle (he's in the biz) and/or Pat Gleason would be the ideal candidates to capture some of the Region 10 lore ... both know tons about the sport and all the players ... from j to unlimited!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, they'd be very good. Trouble is, each of them has already done so much . . . .

I'm going to call Fjarlie and ask if we could get all of the Pit Previews interviews he has done so far, and transcribe them so that people here could enjoy them.

Thread Information