Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Spark plugs- SURFACE gap

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spark plugs- SURFACE gap

Do we have anybody out there who is a real expert in spark plug knowledge? I wonder about surface gap plugs, like the champion L-20v . do they lead foul quicker than a regular type plugs? there must have been some reason the manufacturers quit using them. I changed an awful lot of them that "looked "fine ,but were mis firing . Never did see one actually wore out , like a regular plug can. it seems to me ,that with UNLEADED racing gas , they ought to last a long time, unless there's OTHER crap in the gas that fouls ,also .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surface gaps

I am no plug expert. But here's a bulletin Champion spark plugs sent out dated February 1993:
    "Our recommendations this year go away from surface gap plugs. While many commercial boats continue to use surface gap plugs for longer life, our tests have shown that standard plugs provide better performance for the recreational boater. Surface gap spark plugs can foul easily when fuel mixtures are rich or prolonged periods of slow speed occur. Our recommendations mean that as a boat owner, you no longer have to constantly re-adjust fuel mixture settings or worry about slow speed running."

I hope this helps.
    Jeff Yungen

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, BUT ..............

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    I am no plug expert. But here's a bulletin Champion spark plugs sent out dated February 1993:
    "Our recommendations this year go away from surface gap plugs. While many commercial boats continue to use surface gap plugs for longer life, our tests have shown that standard plugs provide better performance for the recreational boater. Surface gap spark plugs can foul easily when fuel mixtures are rich or prolonged periods of slow speed occur. Our recommendations mean that as a boat owner, you no longer have to constantly re-adjust fuel mixture settings or worry about slow speed running."

I hope this helps.
    ...................Thank you............................................... ..
    I already knew that . I was talking about using them for racing , not pleasure boat use. Evidentally , the "fishing" engine is shipped from the factory with rich jets , so that the average (ignorant ) boater can over load the motor with a prop with too much pitch , & not only that , but I know that most dealers sell a motor with ANY prop that came on it from the factory , and could care less!It makes my blood boil, that most dealers care only for the $ ,& would rather sell shoes , if it were more profitable.

Thread Information