Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Swing" mag or fixed timing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 31+ omc,s

Hey Johnson, what's so special about those 35s?
    RichardKCMo.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much... an easy motor to keep, lots of parts available, alot of tork, they last a long time and perform well. Could be said about alot of motors, maybe I like em is the best answer. My runnabouts on the heavy side and the tork works well there. My hydro is about C weight and that motor seems to work well at 68 to 7000 Rs [its meant to run 5500]

Post Thanks / Like

The old 35's....Dad made one with dual carbs and opened the ports, ALOT. He added reed blocks that dropped into a manifold, and got rid of the old OMC flower pedal style reeds because they were too restrictive...Then, he took a C quicksilver gearbox off a puked Merc that came in on trade, cut down a tower, and ran it on an old Speedliner or Sid service runabout, I fogtot which, but it had the rear kneel pad with an open mid section....
    It routinely turned 7K, then after he started tweeking rods (had a few cast and forged at a local foundry), he started turning up RPM. I remember that motor twisting 8-8500 and then his next challenge was having props cast, because he could not get a big enough pitch for what he was looking to do.
    Excellent engine virtually unkillable, and, one that every family boat from mid fifties to 60's had clamped on the back.

Then came the 40's off the same platform...Different story all together. Thinner rods, at least initially for a few of the early years, and a much rougher idle....I called them the pukamatics....

JuniorRacer(VetMechanic) mercury400m's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ur talking about good old omc johnson evinrude right??? i have a old 35 viking that im trying to track down a lower for that turns out great rpm more than it says

ps skoontz you would have a pic of that 35 ur dad made sounds friggen awsome

the good times on the water are good but the best times are racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad

that there are all these cool memories of the West Side Boathouse and I only have few pictures. I wanted the ones of the Rockholt/4-60 and that old dual carb OMC. If I had 3 engines, I could very easily make another one. I watched him do it very closely, and with all the people on this forum now who have foundry access, it could be done much more efficiently. This motor never made it to a hydro, but imagine a 2 cylinder C mod, about 9 full inches shorter and 43 lbs lighter than a 4 banger Merc. Then add alky into the mix.....

JuniorRacer(VetMechanic) mercury400m's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm sounds like a future project.....

the good times on the water are good but the best times are racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default speed?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Not much... an easy motor to keep, lots of parts available, alot of tork, they last a long time and perform well. Could be said about alot of motors, maybe I like em is the best answer. My runnabouts on the heavy side and the tork works well there. My hydro is about C weight and that motor seems to work well at 68 to 7000 Rs [its meant to run 5500]
    What are you getting out of it for speed?
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardKCMo View Post
    What are you getting out of it for speed?
    Richard
    Richard, In an HK Airborn at 460lbs [me in it] It topped at 54.8 gps so far. In a C- Bezoats with a 25 [31.8ci] that went 63 so far. I think the runnabouts near the top of is game but think the hydros got room to go. these both are on -lefty feet-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    Interesting theory Sam.
    I never saw any reason to "lock" the mag on my 4cylinder mod Merc. Although, it would have made the throttle setup a lot easier. The LAST thing I wanted was that thing to kick back while roping it over. Once I got overzealous with my Mod that wouldn't start. I opened the throttle nearly all the way, and that in turn, advanced the timing all the way. The thing kicked back, ripped the rope from my hands and shot it 50 yards out into the river! OUCH!
    Im using Quincy visu-matics and found with my MK25s and OMCs the throttle doesnt have enough thro, leverage or return spring to work well moving the mag and carb.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more travel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Im using Quincy visu-matics and found with my MK25s and OMCs the throttle doesnt have enough thro, leverage or return spring to work well moving the mag and carb.
    You're right. I had tomodify my throttle lever a little to get more travel. I modified the deadman's throttle. The slot that the lever moves forward and back inside, I cut that slot a little longer. I think I needed about 3/4 of an inch. I also think I added a spring on the mag to increase it's return power.
    This was on a 4cylinder Merc.
    Back when when I ran 2cyl mercs, I manually advanced the stator after I started the motor. I just had my throttle linkage on the carb.
    Sorry if I'm a little fuzzy on this, I'm on some serious pain killers right now.
    Jeff Yungen

Thread Information