Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waldman F 44 Looper has been found!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waldman F 44 Looper has been found!

For the past 30 years or so I have been quietly searching for the missing Gerry Waldman F Looper, serial number XF14. Over the years I have heard various stories about this elusive motor -- it was scattered and scrapped, it had been bought and then sold and then disappeared, even recent claims from someone out west that they thought they had found the motor -- but none of the stories could be documented & proven true until now. Really!

I received the most amazing call this weekend. Dick Ollhoff found an old 44 Looper 2 years ago that he bought and tucked away and forgot about. This weekend he finally dug it up and called me to find out who the original owner was in the Quincy Welding record book.

Yes, it was the missing Waldman XF14 Looper!! We did some background tracking on the motor and have definitely documented and verified (including tesimonial evidence from one of the previous owners) that Dick did actually find the Holy Grail of the Waldman Looper engines. Dick said he plans to restore the motor when he has time and take it to classic outboard shows.

Can you believe his luck? Dick said he had no clue at the time he bought it that it was anything special. Dick is now the proud owner of 2 Waldman Loopers -- yes, he also owns the Waldman C Looper that had belonged to Larry Latta.

This C and F are probably the last 2 engines that Gerry Waldman won with in 1972 before his fatal accident in D hydro at Hot Springs, Arkansas. Wayne Baldwin did post on BRF that Gerry won the high points at that meet by winning C and F hydro.

Dick, I know you will treasure these Loopers. Please post pictures here, when you finish restoring both of these historic engines so everyone else can enjoy them too.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful find Paul. It's great that it wasn't lost to the junkpile and is in the hands of someone who will restore it to show to the public. Thanks to your Dad and the Quincy people who kept track of who purchased the motors and for you to hanging on to the records for confirmation and absolute proof.

When you talk to Dick tell him I haven't forgotten his pictures and I will send a copy of these two pages I will post as well.

Jerry was Team Captain of the North for the MX237 Invitational races held at Hot Springs. It was an experimental race to see if we could pull off a fast pace professional event that would have the crowd wanting more. While most boat racing events start the program with the slowest classes and finish with the fastest, this one started with one of the fastest classes and mixed them up throughout the program.

Lead off was F Hydro. Jerry won this followed by Ray Nydahl and Jerry Peterson. All these races were one heat only. One shot only. Jerry won with this 44 looper XF14.

The next event Jerry was entered in was A Hydro, the third heat of the day. I am not sure where he finished here. Maybe more research would lead me to the results.

Fifth on the schedule was C Hydro. Jerry won this with Billy Seebold and myself behind him. This is the final race Jerry ever won.

Jerry scratched in the 7th event--B Hydro. As Team Captain for the North he had absolute dictatorial powers to place any driver he wanted to represent his area of the country. Jerry did not feel his rig was where he wanted it so he scratched and put Phil Howard in his place.

Jerry's final start was in the 9th and next to last race--D Hydro. It was a start I will never forget. I have seen a movie of it and it causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.

It's a great thing to hear of those motors being restored and stand as testimony to the talented Quincy Welding people and Jerry Waldman for their accomplishments.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waldman F 44 Looper has been found!

Wayne,

Thank you so much for keeping the original race sheets from the Hot Springs races for all these years and now posting them here. You are a great outboard racing historian and quite an asset to this site.

I talked with Dick Ollhoff recently and not only is he quite excited that he has THE Quincy Welding record book documented and further testimonial certified Waldman 44 F Looper (XF-14). He also said that he is extremely thankful to you for giving him the race history of Waldman's final race victory with this engine.

Wayne, to put the icing on the cake, I found the original dyno card from Quincy Welding, which further certifies the engine of Dick's. (Yes, I also have the original dyno cards from when the shop closed. Who knew at the time how important they would become. Really!)

We should also all thank Ron and Ted for giving us such a great fact-based web site on which to share and exchange racing history and knowledge.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul....You got that right about Ron and Ted. If it weren't for them all my stuff would still be in 3 ring binders, shoeboxes and 3 cut files. and just piled up in storage. Thank God for packrats. There are many of them still out there that read this that don't know how to scan and I have stuff sent to me that I don't have time to do yet. And Clayton Elmer---I promise to get done with yours next after I get Ron's pics for the reunion to him. Clayton was my main teacher when I was learning how to race. He taught me what he could in the pits, then used his propwash to teach me more. I will get info from him also for the Quincy site. Clayton was the guy on ABC's Wide World of Sports that had that fantastic duel with Hu Entrop at Lake Spivey in 1964 or 65. I will get into that when I do Clayton's stuff in the encyclopedia.

Even the smallest bits of info can be interesting as time passes. When you are living it, things are fun and exciting, but when you try to remember there are many gaps. Little things you save can spark memories long forgotten. So here's to those folks that have saved some of that past, the ones who are finding the old boats and motors and are bringing them back to life, and to Ron and Ted who have given us the forum to bring it to the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If a person wanted to restore

a looper, say an A-C, and could find one, what could they expect to pay?

Though I've been a devout OMC guy forever, reading about these fantastic motors has made a bug grown inside me...And, along with the 125 Stacker, these engines are looking pretty fun for a project....Awesome find you got there!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Skoontz the value of them is all over the place. Some people want thousands and thousands of dollars for such a motor, other will let you have it for a couple hundred to get it out of their basement and into the hands of someone who will fix it up.

It depends on the motor and how the seller feels about you

In the normal course of sales, I have not seen a looper with a normal pedigree go for more than $2,000. Usually they are siezed up and missing parts and go for something between $100 and $1000
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

That just might get placed on my goal list them....Even though a 6 cylinder looper would be the most fun, storage and transport to show it off after restoration becomes problematic. This makes alot more sense to me, however, than trying to make something my dad did at this time, because most of the base is here, and, we have the looper crowd to guide authenticity and remaking of pieces....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default skoontz, you'll never regret it

skoontz,

you'll never regret getting a looper and bringing it back to life again. the one i'm restoring was all locked up. it's a labor of love to see what made them tick. let me know if you have any questions of my project. the great thing about the project is all the great new friends you make and the help they give. it is like a family!

frank

Post Thanks / Like

OK, that does it....I'm going to go on an all out assault finding a looper. Would prefer an 89 cubic inch, but, will take a 2 or four holer...And, since it's a Quicy, I'll not be going against my pledge to grandpa about using a Merc for anything other than an anchor...

So, tomorrow I have to T-88 the Miss KTDoodles damaged deck for Oroville, then, cut off the cocpit tunnel for a new one that will be here Tuesday, get a big deal signed for work, clean of my desk, then look for a looper.... If only you knew Southern California, boob job capital of the world...Everyone loves to sleep in on Sundays in our neighborhood... I'm gunna get that bad boy running and start it at 5:30AM...If I'm up everyone else should be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    OK, that does it....I'm going to go on an all out assault finding a looper. Would prefer an 89 cubic inch, but, will take a 2 or four holer...And, since it's a Quicy, I'll not be going against my pledge to grandpa about using a Merc for anything other than an anchor...

So, tomorrow I have to T-88 the Miss KTDoodles damaged deck for Oroville, then, cut off the cocpit tunnel for a new one that will be here Tuesday, get a big deal signed for work, clean of my desk, then look for a looper.... If only you knew Southern California, boob job capital of the world...Everyone loves to sleep in on Sundays in our neighborhood... I'm gunna get that bad boy running and start it at 5:30AM...If I'm up everyone else should be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a few 2 cylinder Looper's and may be bringing one out to Depue to sell. I had it sold to a collector of stock outboards but he changed his mind and just bought the Merc lower unit. All loopers are complete but not shure of which one I will bring out. All have a history and two belonged to some well known drivers still active today. I am bringind a 44 Looper out to show as soon as I re-shim the crankshaft. Just in case we deside to take it for a ride on a 1100 runabout. We will have two 500 Runabouts there to compete. Bob N-96
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob Rusnak

Thread Information