Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waldman F 44 Looper has been found!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, we will not be at Depue, KT needs another year before I allow her in the unrestricted classes that will be there. Next year, that's another story. I'll have to see her progress and determine where so is going from there. After seeing the Oklahoma based "Kneel and Pray" fleet at the Bakersfield nationals, she has her heart set on running a D mod boat someday, which is why I was thinking about a 4 hole looper.....
    Now, regarding that motor you show, out of curiousity, what kind of coin do you need to see out of that engine? I'm not sure I could afford one at this exact moment, this year has been slower than most, but ya never know....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The proof is in the dyno cards!

To everyone:

When I first verified on BRF that Dick Ollhoff had found the missing Waldman F44 (FX-14), I backed up my verification with original shop records and dyno cards from Quincy Welding.

Someone else that has another F Looper doesn't want to believe the truth. This person has been emailing people and has posted elsewhere that I'm wrong, that the Looper in his possession, FX-57 was Waldman's missing F 44 Looper.

I don't know what stories have been told by whom or why, but further written proof is in the dyno cards that I am posting here now to settle this once and for all. All 3 dyno cards plainly show FX-14 belonged to Jerry Waldman. All are dated between 1/19/70 and 1/11/72. All are original, unaltered Quincy Welding shop dyno cards. What more can I say?

According to the official Quincy Welding record books, FX-57 was never owned by Gerry Waldman. Yes, I do know who the original owner was but do not want to post that info here without his permission. FX-57, according to the shop records, was manufactured in 1976 -- 4 years after Waldman died at the races at Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1972.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These copies of the dyno cards are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update: dyno cards on Waldman 44 FX-14 Looper

In case anyone missed my previous post today, I put up copies of the 3 original Quincy Welding dyno cards that show FX-14, owned by Dick Ollhoff, is indeed the Waldman 44 F Looper.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paul,

what kind of 'proof' does this other person have? let's see..... you have the original quincy welding records and you have the 3 dyno cards and the serial number is in line with the dyno dates..... doesn't take csi to figure this one out. dick ollhoff has a great find.

frank

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will find some letters between my Dad and Gerry from this time period to post. Gerry was very much into this race and he would want to have his equipment top notch.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul,

I sent you an email. Hope you got it. Let me know.

Thanks.
    Dean Wilson Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the last letter from Jerry prior to the race. Just a little less than two weeks prior.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure which motor this is, but in my mind I have always remembered it as being the F. I am thinking this was the same run that Jerry made that I took the closeup of afterwards of him explaining the acceleration of the motor. Maybe a closer look will show some identifying characteristics.

This picture was taken at Hot Springs during testing the day prior to the races. When Gene was talking about Jerry cranking his own motor, it reminded me of this picture. Dick Hoppenwrath is on the left and Phil Wagner holding the Marchetti up on the right.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Those are great pictures & the letter is priceless.

As to the engine in the picture, it could be a C, D or F Looper. It's very likely, unless you come up with better information saying otherwise, a C Looper. Why? I watched Gerry Waldman many times starting his outfits and I never did see him standing up in the boat like in your pictures when he was starting his D or 44 F Loopers. They had too much compression and he would have risked being jerked out of the boat.

If I remember correctly, when he started his D or F, he usually put one foot on the fuel tank while sitting backwards (facing the engine). Then he would barely wrap the rope one turn or less around the cranking plate on the D or F and pull like heck. Being that they were reed valve engines, and Waldman kept his equipment in top operating condition, they usually started right off and away he went. Yes, there were other people that cranked his engines from time to time, but I never saw Gerry stand up when a D or F was cranked -- too much instant torque!

A further note here: Waldman did have unique spray shields, lower units and drivehousings. Obviously his engines were top flight. I have documentation and dyno cards (which were posted here 6/12/07) to certify the one and ONLY Waldman 44 F, XF-14.

The confusion occurs because Gerry had spare drivehousings, spray shields & lower units that have gotten out in the field and have shown up on other engines that were NOT Waldman powerheads. People before have wanted to believe that they have a Waldman Looper because they have acquired engines with some of the Waldman specialty parts included. That does not make those engines Waldman motors.

I have the entire list of Waldman Looper serial numbers, which I am keeping confidential. As some people "discover" they have an actual missing Waldman Looper, others may also discover that what they own and thought was a Waldman Looper is in fact, not a documented Waldman Looper at all.

Case in point: Professionals in the classic car collectors field have told me that there are many more Shelby Mustangs and 427 435 hp Corvettes showing up now than were actually produced by Shelby/Ford and GM originally. How? Reproduction parts.

One thing that I don't want to see happen is that non-documented engines, non-Waldman engines get passed on to buyers as real Waldman motors. People's memories may not tell the correct story but the documents do.

Since I have the original Quincy Welding serial number books and dyno cards, I hope to keep the pedigrees of these motors accurate and honest.

Don't forget -- there are probably many other famous Loopers still out there that have not yet been "discovered." Happy hunting!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

You're reasoning is logical Paul and therefore it probably is the C. I was just going by what I had in the back of my mind as I did not write down what it was in that frame. I had thought some photos I took of him on the straightaway were of him with his F and surmised that maybe this was a pit shot of that group. However, now that you have mentioned his cranking style I am going back and looking at frame numbers of the negatives in relation to the other pictures. That could be a clue as to what the other boats were because I truthfully don't know other than they were 4 cylinder. What I do know is that they were all taken at his last race.

An interesting side note. While looking for the letter I came across one from a person who was on the ground in Hot Springs helping us with the promotion. He had the film in his hands that was shot from the cockpit of Jerry's boat on the Friday before the races. He was lining up someone to make copies. He asked my Dad if he wanted one and said Marshall had asked for a copy too. I do know we never got one and I imagine Marshall didn't either, but I am going to check. I will see if I can track this guy down to see if he still has the film. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thread Information