this is for 10-25hp lower units
hey all im been toying with omc lowers l8ly and was really paying attention to the argument of running in reverse or forward/making it a direct drive no shifting. well what i discovered was the gears are actually the same just different bushing sizes on each end of the shaft the forward gear bushing is forced fit into so it would be some fun trying yo get it out if u had to. the gears are interchangeable with each other unless there is a pin at the back (only on older models) soo basically all you have to do is pin the either on the forward gear or reverse gear therefore decideing if you want LH or RH rotation. then after you decide what rotation you want you'd have to grind the teeth of the other gear you wouldn't be using =no other gear friction=) but you would keep it there for balence/stability in the lower unit. the clutch dog can stay there if wanted and probally best because then you gotta get rid of all the other shifting stuff. you can always leave it in forward for extra renforcement. The only hard part would be the drilling. i have some other lower units i will be testing this out on

so basically you could run in reverse with a LH prop if you wanted to the gears would be fine(just think the gears are always turning and the clutch dog just "pins it/locks the gear to the shaft)