Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Welding/Precision Machine "Area 51" Photos

Hybrid View

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Welding/Precision Machine "Area 51" Photos

You are about to take a journey through the inside of Quincy Welding/ Precision Machine, home of some of the most innovative and exciting outboard race engines produced in their time. I call these photos the "Area 51" pictures because very few people got to enter these production and manufacturing areas of the shop.

In honor of the DePue Reunion, I will be posting a series of these pictures between now and July 29th.

The 1st picture is of the northeast section of the shop, looking east (not to be confused with Gene East). This is the area where the cylinder blocks and crank cases were exterior machined for further production. In the extreme NE corner of this picture is where the Quincy pistons were machined and produced.

The 2nd picture is also of the machine shop area (east and somewhat south of the north end of the building). This is where we finish machined the crankshafts that we made and also the cylinder heads, cranking plates and other parts that required a larger lathe for the Looper finish production.
    Special note: the Clausing end mill in the right side foreground is the very one that the world famous Gene East used to hand port the majority of the Quincy Loopers that were manufactured.

The 3rd picture is looking towards the southeast. This bridgeport was used for porting many factory Merc blocks that we modified and some machine finish work on the Loopers. In the background you will see the Dodge shop truck and on the upper rack, many customer outboards in for repair plus some new Mercury engines for sale. You will notice that the engines are on an upper level - the upper level was where we worked on outboards, both pleasure and racing, and where we finish assembled the production racing engines. (More pictures of that area to be posted later.)

The 4th picture is of the drill press machining room/ drawing room. This is where most of the drilling and tapping of the production race engines took place and also where my father had his large drafting table (not seen in the picture). This area was kept as clean as a surgical center because some of the most critical and delicate drilling & tapping work occurred here.

The 5th picture is one of my favorites - the Looper parts inventory. This was also kept in the drill press machining room. How many of us would love to reach back into this picture and snatch brand new, freshly machined parts for our Loopers? Wow!

The last picture of this series is of the pleasure boat propeller repair area and also where we forged Quincy racing propellers. This is where the great Gene East, Frank Volker and Al Herman performed magic for both stock and racing outboard uses.
    Special note: Look above the light fixture over the work bench and towards the back of the shop. You will see an area we called the "Back Deck." That is where the majority of covert, experimental "X" factory secret blocks were kept hidden. The only way to reach that area was to lower the steps with an electric wench -- only certain shop employees were allowed up there. Gene can tell you how off limits that deck was.

I hope everyone here enjoys this trip down memory lane as much as I have. You know, Wayne is right. When we're living the experience, we sometimes forget about recording it for later. I was around the shop my entire life and learned how to work on pleasure outboards and build race engines, but never thought to take pictures of the inside of the shop for history's sake. I want to give a special thanks to the former customer who sent me these pictures. To me they are priceless!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your personal enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omg!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Original Looper 1 View Post
    You are about to take a journey through the inside of Quincy Welding/ Precision Machine, home of some of the most innovative and exciting outboard race engines produced in their time. I call these photos the "Area 51" pictures because very few people got to enter these production and manufacturing areas of the shop.

In honor of the DePue Reunion, I will be posting a series of these pictures between now and July 29th.

The 1st picture is of the northeast section of the shop, looking east (not to be confused with Gene East). This is the area where the cylinder blocks and crank cases were exterior machined for further production. In the extreme NE corner of this picture is where the Quincy pistons were machined and produced.

The 2nd picture is also of the machine shop area (east and somewhat south of the north end of the building). This is where we finish machined the crankshafts that we made and also the cylinder heads, cranking plates and other parts that required a larger lathe for the Looper finish production.

The 3rd picture is looking towards the southeast. This bridgeport was used for porting many factory Merc blocks that we modified and some machine finish work on the Loopers. In the background you will see the Dodge shop truck and on the upper rack, many customer outboards in for repair plus some new Mercury engines for sale. You will notice that the engines are on an upper level - the upper level was where we worked on outboards, both pleasure and racing, and where we finish assembled the production racing engines. (More pictures of that area to be posted later.)

The 4th picture is of the drill press machining room/ drawing room. This is where most of the drilling and tapping of the production race engines took place and also where my father had his large drafting table (not seen in the picture). This area was kept as clean as a surgical center because some of the most critical and delicate drilling & tapping work occurred here.

The 5th picture is one of my favorites - the Looper parts inventory. This was also kept in the drill press machining room. How many of us would love to reach back into this picture and snatch brand new, freshly machined parts for our Loopers? Wow!

The last picture of this series is of the pleasure boat propeller repair area and also where we forged Quincy racing propellers. This is where the great Gene East, Frank Volker and Al Herman performed magic for both stock and racing outboard uses.

I hope everyone here enjoys this trip down memory lane as much as I have. You know, Wayne is right. When we're living the experience, we sometimes forget about recording it for later. I was around the shop my entire life and learned how to work on pleasure outboards and build race engines, but never thought to take pictures of the inside of the shop for history's sake. I want to give a special thanks to the former customer who sent me these pictures. To me they are priceless!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your personal enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without written permission.

WOW! Look at that "parts inventory"!!!!!!!! How many peoples jaws just dropped (like mine)??????????
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nice gen 3's in the corner

paul,

my jaw dropped. sure could use those gen 3 stacks in the corner!

great pictures. that's where all magic happened!

frank

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Daren & Frank,

Save me a couple of those new Looper blocks from Area 51.

thanks,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul

Thanks for posting these pictures. They sure bring back memories. I noticed the calendar said August 1973. That's 3 months after I left Quincy Welding. So many times I wish I had stayed to be a part of the Z-Engine.
    Look forward to seeing you at DePue.

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that calendar was from LaLande and Gallaher Insurance company.

Bob LaLande is Paul's brother-in-law.

Bob worked at "The Shop" for several years. He was also a racer. While never achieving the fame of a David Christner, Freddie Goehl, Arlen Crouch, Earle Hull, Frank Volker, or Jim Schoch, Bob does have a couple of APBA National Championships to his credit.

I sure hope Paul and David are able to persuade Bob and their brother John to come to DePue

G-18
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kitchen Table G-18

what memories I can still see the engine blocks of my dad...straight from our shop..lined up and packed in cardboard boxes for us mail to "Quincy" no ups or fed ex in those days...mom and dad arguing over how the postage would affect Christmas...but the blocks needed to be padded and ported.Anyone who remembers my dad Art Welsh G-18 from the old MPBA{Minnesota Power Boat Assoc.} and the N.O.A. please feel free and more than welcome to write. I can smell the alky and cator oil now....and hear my Dad's personal custom made tuned exhausts now..in fact some are still being used.

Welsh Marine {Dave the proud son of a racer.. my hero}

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WelshMarine View Post
    Anyone who remembers my dad Art Welsh G-18 from the old MPBA{Minnesota Power Boat Assoc.} and the N.O.A. please feel free and more than welcome to write. I can smell the alky and cator oil now....and hear my Dad's personal custom made tuned exhausts now..in fact some are still being used.

Welsh Marine {Dave the proud son of a racer.. my hero}
    I remember the days in Wally Roman's basement where your dad would entertain us all for hours with jokes and stories. One of the funniest men and nicest guys that I ever met. And one hell of a boat driver too!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July to everyone here at BRF. Always remember, independence is more than a belief, it is a responsibility, along with eternal vigilance.

Lets all have a safe and enjoyable day.

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: This picture is (hopefully) for your enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old and gray?

Message to D. W. -- please keep the dashpad a while longer, I still haven't decided what I want to do with it. By the way, what do you mean about the gray? I can hear your knee creaking all the way from Florida.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Thread Information