Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Welding/Precision Machine "Area 51" Photos

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

I'm sure you remember your Dad was so upset that he at first said "Mr. Seebold has died". My first thoughts were of Bill Sr. and possibly a heart attack. Then Baldy regained his composure and told us the sad news about Gerry.
    Ron Hill has posted a picture of Gerry talking to Phil Wagner. This is one of your pictures and I'm sure you've already seen the post, but for those who haven't seen it, check it out.
    Some of those reading this never knew Gerry, but this picture will tell you a lot about the man.
    The picture shows Gerry as being a small man. What it doesn't show however, is the fact that although he was small in size. he had a heart and spirit as big as "Andre the Giant".
    The picture also shows him smiling. That's what I remember most, that ever-present smile. Gerry was one of the most positive, optimistic people I ever met. You hardly ever saw him without a smile.
    Ron descibes Gerry's death as "The day the music died".
    That sums it up very well.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the posting

gene,

do you know where ron posted the picture of gerry? or ron do you know where you posted the picture? maybe post it here too. 1972 was my second year racing and i remember pop augustine telling us at a race what had happpened and he was choked up. gerry touched a lot of lives.

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Frank
    Go to the home page where all the forums are listed. Scroll down to Boat racing encyclopedia Select the entry entitled Jerry Waldman and click.
    Last edited by Gene East; 06-11-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: To correct an omission

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I was behind the curve. Been up almost 30 hours.

I had only been taking pictures two months before Gerry died and this was the only race I took any of him at. Since we were involved in helping put on the race, I probably didn't take as many as I would have because of other things I had to do. Regretably this is the only closeup I ever took of him. But I do remember the story behind it and here it is.

I think it related to F Hydro, although it could have been D. It was one or the other. Gerry had just gotten in from a test run and Gerry was talking to a small group among them Marshall Grant and my Dad and the other person in the photo. Ron says it was Phil Wagner, I think it was Dick Hoppenwrath. I'll look closer when I pull it up in a minute.

My Dad asked Gerry what he thought of his F (or D") and Gerry replied "It's got great top end "....spreading his arms wide he continued "but you'd have to measure the acceleration with a calendar." What a great wit he had.

And I do believe Ron is right. It is probably Phil in the foreground.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    And I do believe Ron is right. It is probably Phil in the foreground.
    Wayne;
    Do you recall if Bob Hering and Ron Anderson were at that race!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron was Neal, but Bob started racing OPC then and as far as I ever knew, he never raced alky any more. He would have been there as Jerry was Captain of the North, but he had already committed to OPC.

Lee Sutter was also there and I believe he was Team Captain of the West. Originally Jerry had contacted Ron Hill to be Captain, but for some reason Ron wasn't able to. The first Captain that my Dad corresponded with was Harry Bartolomei. I don't know how that came about, but I suspect it was at Ron's suggestion. Harry had been corresponding with my Dad regarding the race, but then something came up and he appointed Rich Fuschlin to take over. I haven't found any correspondence from Rich but at the last minute the reins were handed over to Lee Sutter. He didn't have much time to get driver committments so we had very little participation from the West. We had a couple of drivers from the North and East fill in some of those spots.

Here is a list of the original drivers selected from the West Coast Team. I think it came from Harry, but it may have come from Rich or Lee.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 2 of Quincy Welding shop photos

Here's round 2 of the series of photos I am posting of Quincy Welding/ Precision Machine's interior, or "Area 51," as very few customers actually got to see the inside of the shop to this degree.

The 1st picture is mid shop, looking northeast at the larger bridgeport endmill that was used primarily for larger porting and machining projects & 6 cylinder Loopers. To the south of the bridgeport is the electrostatic crankshaft balancer. Many national championship engine crankshafts were balanced on this machine. We also used this machine to balance prop shafts with racing propellers on them.

The 2nd picture is of the boring room. This is where most of the Looper production engines were final bored. The final honing was done upstairs prior to final assembly (pictures from upstairs will be in series 3).

The 3rd picture is from the central far eastern part of the shop and is of the belt sanders and the propeller work area. Take note: Gene East spent a lot of time working in that area on props and grinding various projects. East performed well in the east.

The 4th picture is looking south to north, from the main State street vehicle entrance to the shop. My dad, O F Christner, is leaning on the shop truck, talking to his friend, Fred, that ran a business across the street. If you look towards the back, you can see a number of research Loopers on the back deck. As I discussed in the previous post on the shop, that area was off limits to almost everyone and could only be reached by a set of steps that had to be lowered (you can see them in the picture).

The 5th picture is looking towards the northeast part of the shop at the big southbend lathe and the machine we used to finish the Looper exhaust elbows. Notice the boxes on the back deck at the top of the photo? Those boxes contained many research blocks from the Mercury factory and some from other companies that we were doing covert R&D research for.

The last picture is also looking towards the northwest at the large bridgeport that was used for crankcase boring of the Loopers and the machine to the right of it was used for finishing the Looper blocks externally before the crankcases were finish bored.

Hope you enjoy this trip back in time. Stay tuned, more pictures to be posted soon as we head towards the inaugeral DePue Reunion at the end of July.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

G-18
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kitchen Table G-18

what memories I can still see the engine blocks of my dad...straight from our shop..lined up and packed in cardboard boxes for us mail to "Quincy" no ups or fed ex in those days...mom and dad arguing over how the postage would affect Christmas...but the blocks needed to be padded and ported.Anyone who remembers my dad Art Welsh G-18 from the old MPBA{Minnesota Power Boat Assoc.} and the N.O.A. please feel free and more than welcome to write. I can smell the alky and cator oil now....and hear my Dad's personal custom made tuned exhausts now..in fact some are still being used.

Welsh Marine {Dave the proud son of a racer.. my hero}

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WelshMarine View Post
    Anyone who remembers my dad Art Welsh G-18 from the old MPBA{Minnesota Power Boat Assoc.} and the N.O.A. please feel free and more than welcome to write. I can smell the alky and cator oil now....and hear my Dad's personal custom made tuned exhausts now..in fact some are still being used.

Welsh Marine {Dave the proud son of a racer.. my hero}
    I remember the days in Wally Roman's basement where your dad would entertain us all for hours with jokes and stories. One of the funniest men and nicest guys that I ever met. And one hell of a boat driver too!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July to everyone here at BRF. Always remember, independence is more than a belief, it is a responsibility, along with eternal vigilance.

Lets all have a safe and enjoyable day.

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: This picture is (hopefully) for your enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.

Thread Information