Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quincy Welding/Precision Machine "Area 51" Photos

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old and gray?

Message to D. W. -- please keep the dashpad a while longer, I still haven't decided what I want to do with it. By the way, what do you mean about the gray? I can hear your knee creaking all the way from Florida.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 3 - Quincy Welding "Area 51" shop photos

The next in the series of photos I've been posting of the Quincy Welding shop interior is of the upstairs, which was the racing engine assembly area.
    My father, O. F. Christner, when he designed the shop, decided that intricate engine assembly would be better delegated to an area upstairs, away from the machining and day to day welding & shop repair work.

The 1st photo is upstairs looking southeast. The engine on the bench in the picture is either an R&D engine or a Quincy Modified project. This workbench is unique because it is where the world famous Jack McGrury assembled the racing legend Jerry Waldman's engines. Eventually I ended up at this work station and I always had a sense of energy and the high expectations of Jack's legacy while working there.

The 2nd photo is looking southwest. There's an OMC block that was waiting for assembly and also various other projects at different stages of progression.

The 3rd photo is of the very 1st Z B 350 prototype cylinders. You are looking at pictures taken in November of 1975. That engine went from a dream at Winona in the summer of 1975 to the dyno testing of the prototype that November.

The 4th photo is also of the 1st Z B 350 prototype cylinders, different angle.

The 5th photo is of the 1st Z B prototype engine, pre-assembly. I'm planning to do another post on just the Z engine later on.

More shop photos to come. Stay tuned.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without my written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 4 of "Area 51" shop photos

Here's round 4 of the Quincy Welding/Precision Machine shop photos. These pictures are of the upstairs race engine assembly area.

Picture #1 is southwest corner. This is where most projects were parts completed, waiting for final assembly at another station. The motor in the picture is obviously a modified Mercury 6 awaiting final assembly.

Picture #2 is southeast corner. This work station was primarily Frank Volker's R&D work area. Frank is my former brother-in-law that I still consider family. Frank, after leaving Quincy Welding, went on to obtain a degree in mechanical engineering from Columbia University. There were many occassions when Frank, my father, O. F. and I went motorcycle riding together after work well into the evening hours to release the tensions from intense development and dyno work on race engines.

Picture #3 is the northeast corner. This is the area where Jim Schoch, Gene East and Earl Hull (also a brother-in-law) (note: Dad put all of his son-in-laws to work at the shop at one time or another.) did the final grinding and hand relieving of Quincy Merc padded jobs and other ultra-fine clearance projects necessary with race engine modifications at Quincy Welding.

Picture #4 is of the central western area where the finish boring and honing was completed on race engines.

Picture #5 is a picture of the very latest technologically developed 2 cylinder Looper block. This picture was taken in 1975. This was the very last 2 cylinder Looper block manufactured.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Way cool !!!!!!

Please pull out "the book" and see who bought the last "A" Looper block. I have an idea......

Thanks

MIchael D-1

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing

This stuff is simply amazing to me. My mouth always hangs open when I see all the machines, and the place where both heros and legends were brought to fruition.

Can you imagine what a shop such as this would cost today ? To simply equip it.... wow.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Area 51 Top Secrect Dyno Area"

Paul do you happen to have any pics of the dyno area,are is that to "TOP SECRECT".Again I can't express enough of what these pics mean to me Paul,it was truley wonderful and exciting to say the least growing up in "Area 51" watching you and your dad hard at work taking a block of aluminum and making the best pro engine that will live in the heart mind and soul of all those who took the time to believe in what your dad was doing,Thank you

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round #5 of Quincy Welding "Area 51" Photos

The last 4 series of pictures were of the Quincy Welding shop, including our "Area 51" work areas.

This round of pictures is of experimental reed valves and crankcases from the early 1970's.

Enjoy!

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round #6 - Quincy Welding "Area 51" Photos

The first 4 series of pictures were of the Quincy Welding shop, including our "Area 51" work areas.

This round of pictures is of experimental reed valves and crankcases from the early 1970's.

The last picture is my dad, O. F. Christner, sitting at his desk at Quincy Welding, talking on the phone (probably to a customer) while studying a 2 cylinder Looper block. This picture was probably taken in 1973. Special note: For all of you hawk eyes out there, there is something significantly different about one of those Looper blocks in this picture......what is it? Hint: A Looper collector actually owns the cylinder I'm referring to. It was way ahead of it's time. I also noticed in that picture the dark 3-ring binder on the desk, towards the front of my dad's desk. That is the original serial number record book that I have and refer to when documenting Quincy Welding/Precision Machine racing engines. Wow!

Enjoy!

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.

Post Thanks / Like

This post is really buried and I saw some photos in here that when I first saw them did not mean as much to me (and therefore didn't pay as close attention to them at the time) as they do now being a collector and runner of these pieces of history. Ten years seems like a good time to bring this back to the front page!

I wonder if people have discovered more photos and research over the ten years since this thread was last added to.

Thread Information