Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Marion Beaver: "Uncle Gummy" Passes On

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marion Beaver: "Uncle Gummy" Passes On

Boat Racing Loses Another Icon:

On Behalf of the Southern California Speedboat Club, it's officers and membership we offer our condolences to the entire Beaver family and the town of Parker on the loss of one it's most celebrated and respected members. Marion was instrumental in bringing boat racing to Parker and his numerous national and club championships earned him the respect of those he raced against. The Southern California Speedboat Club can trace it's roots to 1948 and Marion Beaver was right there making sure that SCSC held races on Lake Moolvalya on the Colorado River. As one of his everlasting achievements, the world famous Parker Enduro which he and Cecil Florence co-founded in 1963 tranforming the boat racing landscape from 1 1/2 mile courses to the huge 18 mile round trip course enduro over a 9 hour period. Living legends from the time (astronauts, inventors, celebrities, etc.) all tried their hand at the "Parker Enduro" and I am very proud that when RPM RACING ENT. revived the "Enduro" two years ago, Marion Beaver was asked and accepted the role as honorary grand marshall and official starter. This years overall winner of the "Enduro" scheduled for October 20, 2007 will take home the "Marion Beaver Cup" in the honor befitting a legend who gave so much to the town of Parker and boat racing community.

Thank you Marion for all that you gave and did for boat racing!

Our thoughts and prayers are with Pat and the entire Beaver family during this difficult time.

Memorial Service for Marion Beaver will be held Saturday, June 30, at 3:00 p.m. at Parker High School.
    Immediately following will be a Celebration of Life at the Parker Elks Club.

The Beaver family has requested in lieu of flowers please make a donation to a cause that Marion was behind, the Parker Centenial Project.
    Donations can be made to the Centenial Project and sent to
    Town of Parker
    P.O. Box 610
    1314 11st
    Parker, AZ 85344

Sincerely,
    Ross Wallach, Commodore S.C.S.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker Nine Hour Program 1967

Marion Beaver had finished 5th in the 1966 race...Marion's boat usually lead the first laps of the Enduro...I know I was surprised to see that hydro keep running all day.

My dad and Marion were friends from the OLD DAYS...We'd had family friends named Joe and Marion, so for many years, I thought Marion Beaver was a woman...I don't know, you get stuff in your head, you know...

In the 1967 program under Marion Beaver's name was Lloyd Marschall. I taught all three of Zelda and lloyd's kids, for three years each...4-5-6 grade...Lloyd was a Strawberry farmer in Garden Grove in those days...

Marion Beaver, gone!!! Hard to imagine it!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information