Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Mod 2 Clys Gearcases"

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Mod 2 Clys Gearcases"

What type of gearcase is being used on the 2 cly mercs for "A" "B" "B-1" in the mod classes?I know the merc gearcases are out there but seem to be older than dirt from what I'm hearing.Just wondered what everyone was using to replace the merc gearcase.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not studied the APBA mod rules recently, but in most classes below D they limit [specify] the type of gear case one may use. Many of us have lobbyed for years to allow all mods to use any gear case that was , or once was, a production unit. This would allow old Konig cases to be used, and the current Konny, Yamato, and OMC/HR in the smaller classes. I really doubt if we would see many Merc cases in mod if the choice were free. The worst example of this is the necessity to use a Merc ABC case under a Cmod, and to make it go, one needs to run
    16:21s, which in most guys experience, will not last long,
    and at $400/pair, makes for expensive racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in the muggy East Ive seen new style Hot Rod, [maybe old too] and 16/21 mercs at the local races in B1. Why not 1/1s and a lower P. prop??

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an AOF or NBRA rulebook, the APBA rules only allow the Hot Rod or the AB Quickie
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bs?

Dan , i bet Mr. B1 Ron Whittaker would know or Jimmy Homfeld as he likes that class.
    RichardKCMo
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrabt View Post
    What type of gearcase is being used on the 2 cly mercs for "A" "B" "B-1" in the mod classes?I know the merc gearcases are out there but seem to be older than dirt from what I'm hearing.Just wondered what everyone was using to replace the merc gearcase.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "2 Cly Gearcases"

I was talking to Jimmy at the Quincy Test days and it didn't cross my mind to ask.I was almost thinking about using a stock merc gearcase and putting a nose come kit on it and locking it in forward. I bet they would go for that.Thanks guys was just seeing if there was something new out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it is a legal unit anywhere in Mod, but I just bought a new 11:15 Rossi from Rex Hall for my 250 Pro motor and it is very nice, with good craftsmanship. It looks very similar to a Konig unit.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim I have a letter into APBA Mod Technical director so I will have and answer soon.For some unknown reason APBA rule book won't open for me.Don't know if its BRF or my P/C but thanks anyway gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dancrabt View Post
    Thanks Tim I have a letter into APBA Mod Technical director so I will have and answer soon.For some unknown reason APBA rule book won't open for me.Don't know if its BRF or my P/C but thanks anyway gentleman.
    I want to read up on B1 and other classes but cant get in either.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Read the rules"

Jeff Williams sent me a copy of the 2007 APBA mod rules and that was some fascinating reading.I wasn't aware you could run the stock merc 22ci and the stock omc 25 in the mod "A" class as long as the 22 and the 25 stay completely stock.But Sam was right,only the merc quicky AB or hotrod can be run under the "A&B" mod mercs.You guys are a weath of information thank you all.

Thread Information