Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B mod cooling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    the Merc A/B/C foot should have no problem pumping water up to your powerhead through a Bayer tower and keeping your powerhead plenty cool. I never had a problem keeping my Cmod Merc cool with that setup, although I have now switched over to a Yamato PRO foot with force feed water supply. I really would prefer having a water pump though, as you can run/adjust the motor while it is on the trailer in the water and saves the motor if you have problems getting on plane.......
    Thanks Daren, When you got somone on the rope and all ya gotta do is drive fast,, then the fishin motor mentality might slow ya a little but I still prefer a pump. If you have to limp in on a barely runnin motor,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Chance View Post
    I know nothing about Merc gearcases, but I would think if it has as new impeller it should work. Have you tried pulling the gearcase off and blowing air through the system, or using a small pump and pumping water through to see if there are any leaks or any blockage?
    Yes I removed the powerhead and poured water thru, I pulled a small chunk of silicone out of the powerhead and suspect that, just wanted to be sure I wasnt shov-lin it against the tide with the 5/8 ID tube. Im also going to remove the cone nut and check the pump.. then re-try Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

make sure the water pump is in correctly. if you're using it there is a certain way the pump has to be in the unit. if you look at the pump housing as it would be installed in the foot there is a 'bump' by one of the holes in the housing. that hole shoud be by the exit hole by the tube going to the block.

frank

Post Thanks / Like

I took the cone etc. off and the pump looks OK. Ill run it again when I get a chance to set up the custom-made [from junk] motor jockey with barrel-o-water attachment and lawn mower throttle cable. Thanks for all of your input, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    I took the cone etc. off and the pump looks OK. Ill run it again when I get a chance to set up the custom-made [from junk] motor jockey with barrel-o-water attachment and lawn mower throttle cable. Thanks for all of your input, Mike
    I just tried to run it again and still no water, next Ill have to take the lower unit out and see whats what. I made a copper tube [same size as stock], copied the end cut and length that goes from mid to foot and siliconed it into the foot adapter. Its the last thing I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    I just tried to run it again and still no water, next Ill have to take the lower unit out and see whats what. I made a copper tube [same size as stock], copied the end cut and length that goes from mid to foot and siliconed it into the foot adapter. Its the last thing I can think of.
    I also drill and tap the sides of the foot adaptor to install a 1/4 hose fitting that taps into the hole in the foot adaptor for the water. Then, run another water inlet hose to the powerhead. The other side I just put in a 1/4 pipe plug. This also allows to make make a flush fitting that would thread into the tapped hole (that has the pipe plug), so that you could run your engine on the garden hose.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of tapping into the sides of the adapter, got all weekend to think about it since Ill be away at a wedding.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No cooling?

Just some food for thought.
    I've worked on more than a couple OMC service motors that would not pump water. I looked and looked for a water pump problem. Came to find out the powerhead had a blown head gasket that was pressurizing the water jacket, making it impossible for the good water pump system to overcome. I replaced the head gasket and SHAZAM! pumped water again!
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    Just some food for thought.
    I've worked on more than a couple OMC service motors that would not pump water. I looked and looked for a water pump problem. Came to find out the powerhead had a blown head gasket that was pressurizing the water jacket, making it impossible for the good water pump system to overcome. I replaced the head gasket and SHAZAM! pumped water again!
    Thanks Jeff, Ill check compression too. [Just replaced a worn tester]

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got one more question just in case.. Ive noticed that on my 1 to 1, older short skeg - multi inlet hole foot theres a bushing on the top mount surface where the cooling tube goes in about 1/8 to 1/4 and stops. On another 20H tower I have around the tube sticks out of the bottom about 2 in and has a slanted cut facing back towards the waterpump housing. Which of these types should be used for a long skeg single hole foot or are they interchangable? Thanks, Mike

Thread Information