Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konig pipe stingers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default requested more infomation

Wayne:

I sent an E-Mail last evening to Mike Ward. Perhaps he would know something regards this due to his research into UIM past champions, business, ect. Haven't heard anything yet, but he has probably been busy with the OSY WC last weekend as he is the Yamato dealer over there as you probably know. Maybe he will chime in with something on this.

Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mike Ward answer on straight vs bent stingers

I had a e-mail back from Mike Ward today regards the question about straight versus bent down stingers. He indicated he has a photo taken in 1964 at the European Championship showing the motors equipped with the bent down stingers. Later in the early 1980's Dieter introduced the glass pack silencer that is still used today.

Short and sweet, it seems to be that the reason for the bent stingers was for noise reduction mandated by UIM. He did not say whether motors shipped to the US were equipped with straight stingers versus curved after the UIM noise regulation took effect and we did not have any noise regulations here, and I don't really remember if the Konigs and Yamatos sent here had straight stingers, although I know some did have the curved type. Perhaps the straight stingers that we still continued to see were that way on US mfgd pipes. Usually if there is a regulation that has to be met in any group of countries. the mfgr usually just manufacturers everthing the same for cost purposes, no matter where it goes.

Short and sweet, it was a noise and not a safety issue, although the end result would seem to be safer if you ran into someone from the rear.Mike also said he does not ever remember any European boats ever running straight stingers,always curved, so it must be a long standing rule.

SAM RULES.....

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay guys...I concede too. And BTW Bill Van...thanks for the pipes for my motor. It is now almost complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Okay guys...I concede too. And BTW Bill Van...thanks for the pipes for my motor. It is now almost complete.
    Wayne are you building a Konig too. I just bought a powerhead from Rex Hall and I'm gathering a few part.(250 square block)

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's my old 700cc Konig that I found here on BRF Rusty. I got most of it back, but some things were missing. Dean Wilson Jr. and Joe Rome gave me original spark plugs, and at the reunion Artie Neadeck gave me a lower unit and of course the pipes from Bill Van. Ray Yates has a prop for me that I haven't picked up yet, so the only thing I lack is a rotary valve belt. Joe can get it for me if someone can supply the dimensions.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1956 Koenig pipes

I guess this is the place to post this. I came across this photo of a SEBA race in 1956, which shows how Dieter mounted his pipes on the 250 engines. This was the first year that Koenigs were available in the USA, and my engine, which I bought in 1957, came with these straight pipes. I also bought a 350, which did not have pipes at all, but Dieter had them available in 1958, but I opted for the ones Blankstein made that were curved back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

This is remembering way back, but I think the kart guys' solution to the likely substantial discomfort of recieving the end of an expansion chamber stinger in the face was to require everybody to weld a good-sized fender washer around the end of the stinger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I guess this is the place to post this. I came across this photo of a SEBA race in 1956, which shows how Dieter mounted his pipes on the 250 engines. This was the first year that Koenigs were available in the USA, and my engine, which I bought in 1957, came with these straight pipes. I also bought a 350, which did not have pipes at all, but Dieter had them available in 1958, but I opted for the ones Blankstein made that were curved back.
    A couple of years ago, I mentioned the first German built outboard racing engine I ever saw had the name Koenig cast on the flywheel. This was an "A" motor that was bought by Harold Chambers in 1957. I began working in the pits for Chambers Equipment Co. in 1958

Several people have told me I was mistaken, the name was always spelled Konig.

It feels good to have someone with the credentials of Ralph Donald confirm something I have believed for over 50 years.

Thank you sir!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Koenig

Gene, to clarify the spelling of Koenig as used in english, we do not have a provision for an umlaut on our keyboard. The umlaut in German is two dots over the o which gives it the ker sound in German as opposed to no umlaut and Koenig should be pronounced kernig in english. Although it is supposed to be pronounced kernig, most still say Konig which is actually König in German. So the correct way to spell König in english is Koenig, but still pronounced kernig. Gee, this sounds aufully convoluted. I hope it makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph do you remember where this SEBA race was. I can tell that GC 10 is a A/B Swift Hydro can't tell much about the others. I can remember seeing the A Konig with the pipes in the pic,. seems like one went up and one down.

Thread Information