Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1956 Stock Nationals Race Results

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speeds...

WOW!!! a good AXSH today would have won the CSH nationals then... Speeds are an issue

Bunker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill McClung: 1956 CSH National Champion

It rained like crazy in Worchester, Massachusetts the day of the finals. In thows days they ran the runabouts first, then the hydros. As I recall it got dark and they continued the races the next day. Seems I got 4th in AU, I was passing Keith Stippich for the lead in turn two and he rolled his Stippich on the side and washed me down. I got going again and finished like 11th...Seems, I was second in the second heat. Whoever won the second heat got DQ'd for a cut water pump impeller. But moving me to a first still didn't change my 4th points.

Dean Chenowith won, but was really humble, as he told my dad and I we were the fastest...

Danny Schwarzenbach carried me to the boat both heats. Then, he went on to win 36 Runabout. Danny would tell anyone that storie for the nexy 40 years. We left Monday morning, it was still raining, as we crossed a bridge I could see C Hydros running and a red flag.

We didn't know until we got home that Bill McClung had been killed. That fall they changed the rules to 12 boat heats. Never discussed slowing the boats down. On most courses, I could beat the A Hydros with my A Runabout...

An interesting add; My wife, Dr. Laurie Stern was born August 12, 1956, the day I was racing AU in Cambridge, Maryland.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-16-2014 at 08:02 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coulburn/Kough

Quote Originally Posted by 1-D 1-US View Post
    My god, looking thru the finishers brings back memories..I bought 1 of Kough's a/b sids (from Jim Coulburn)..gave blood for Bill McClung @ Wooster nats
    1-D 1-US
    If you bought a Sid hydro from Jim Coulburn, it probably was one built for him rather then Kough's going to Jim then sold to you. The first Sid hydro was built for me early spring 1956. While in the lead in my elimination heat at Cambridge, I fell in to one of the famous Cambridge "holes" & was thrown out of the boat. I was running a Merc. After Sid built mine he built 3 more that year. One for Dave Kough, one for Johnny Wehrle & the one for Jim Coulburn. Wehrle quit racing so his boat ended up going to Marylyn Donaldson then to Dave Hoggard. Dave went on to win the 1957 & 1958 nationals with that boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kough's AB Sid utility

Good to hear from u John..been many years..the boat was an a/b utility, the fat one w a 38" bottom..evthng on it was lite..stringers routed etc..I bought it off Jims car @ Bayone race..the day after the Pres cup race in D.C. If memory serves I won AU there..u'r brother Dave ran..Wiff was inspector. I remember that black DU (night train?) u ran..I like the colors so much I painted all my boats black
    Dion Arrigoni

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid-Craft

Quote Originally Posted by 1-D 1-US View Post
    Good to hear from u John..been many years..the boat was an a/b utility, the fat one w a 38" bottom..evthng on it was lite..stringers routed etc..I bought it off Jims car @ Bayone race..the day after the Pres cup race in D.C. If memory serves I won AU there..u'r brother Dave ran..Wiff was inspector. I remember that black DU (night train?) u ran..I like the colors so much I painted all my boats black
    Dion Arrigoni
    Dion,

What a surprise. Was talking to Racer not too long ago and asked if you & he were still in touch. Remember the good ole Hanson races?

Anyway, that makes more sense about the boat. THere weren't too many A-B's built which essentially was the "B" bath-tub shortened for "A". O'Dea had one, so did Kough, Wehrle & Zubach. The guys building the repros never even heard of the wide bottom "A-B".

The DU Ight Train was Johnny Schedel. I ran only hydros, but Dave was primarily runabouts & I believe that he did race at the President's cup, although I wasn't there.

Good hearing from you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AB Sid

Sorry John..only 50+ yrs ago..that boat had 102-J on it when I got it. Yeh the guys with the big ***'s ran the AB well..that was the second I had..the other was a lot heavier..I ran the champ hot rod BU on it..it was beautiful..the most fun boat to drive I ever had..I been away for a long time John, just had contact with RACER last week..like old home week
    Dion

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harold Charles "Buddy" Fleming

Ran across your post when I Goggled my Fathers name. I have so many trophy's, pictures and news clippings of memories of the racing days. My Dad passed away this past summer and I thought I would share this with you.

Harold Buddy Charles Fleming of Annapolis, MD died on June 9, 2010 at his residence.

He served in the U.S. Army during the 1950s and was a self employed as an outboard marine mechanic. Buddy raced Hydroplanes and was a World Champion racer with his the hydroplanes,Cry Baby & Bad News. Harold's memberships included the Bay County Moose Lodge, Republican Party and the American Legion. He enjoyed Karaoke (his Karaoke name was Barnacle Bud), building model & remote control airplanes and spending time with his grandchildren.

Buddy is survived by his wife Sandra Brewer-Fleming, whom he married March 23, 1986; one daughter Lee Anne Fleming of Easton, MD; his mother Anna Millie Fleming of Edgewater; also survived by his grandchildren Brianna, Dylan and Gavin. Buddy was predeceased by his father Clarence E. Fleming; his brothers, Bobby Lee and Butch F. Fleming; and his sister Millie Fleming Noyes.

Friends are invited to Buddys Life Celebration on Saturday, June 12 from 11:30am until funeral service begins at 12:30pm at the George P, Kalas Funeral Home, 2973 Solomons Island Rd., Edgewater, MD. Interment Hillcrest Memorial Cemetery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information