Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leecraft

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a bigger version of my photo. And one from St. Loius.
    Mark N

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is St. Louis '77 dad ran #189 his 1st season '76 I think. I remember as a kid dad (David) and my uncle Tommy would come home from a race, work during the day, put the motor back together (in those days stock class inspection you brought motor the home in a box after winning) at night and back to the lake on Wednesday afternoon to get ready for the next race. They had a good combination as brothers and if they didn't win they didn't go to the next race. I remember some great battles with Doug Pearl (FL) and Sam White (TN) as a youngster. I will see if I can post some more of those old photos from mom's albums...there are tons in the basement and in the old boat shop. Mark thanks for the photo, I will call dad and get him to pull it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Leecraft at St Louis. Gettin a little high!
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1985 St Loius LeeCraft

Here's a shot of Harley Wilson from about 1985 taken in St. Louis. I think this boat was shortened by cutting some length off the back. Funny side note Harold Simburger was inspecting and he rigged up a lengthened tape measure which made the boat measure under the minimum length for the class. Harley sure had a funny look on his face when he read that tape measure himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    That was actually the 2nd all composite boat (kevlar,balsa, epoxy, vaccum bagged) we built, Jim Godez got the 1st one. We finished rigging it in the parking lot and Buck 'Buckaroo' Thornton loaned us a prop...should have won the thing, got penalty for hitting a bouy. Strange thing was that on the video the spray off the sponson deflated when dad sat it down to turn.

Kevin,
    Hope all is well with you...maybe I'll actually make it to a race to say HI! I forgot about the boat Harley had, that thing was a rocket.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin beaulier View Post
    Here is a shot of a Lee craft at the marathon nationals in 1975.I could be wrong on the year.

That was basically the 1st full race boat dad and Tommy built. For Travis Chapman and was either Guntersville, AL or Eufaula, AL I can't tell but I am sure Kevin knows but the year is right. Dad after seeing Travis run it had to build one for himself and give it a try...loaded up and went to Nashville, TN for the UIM SJ Championship for their 1st race and won the thinng!

Post Thanks / Like

Found some more photos from St. Louis.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin beaulier View Post
    Here's a shot of Harley Wilson from about 1985 taken in St. Louis. I think this boat was shortened by cutting some length off the back. Funny side note Harold Simburger was inspecting and he rigged up a lengthened tape measure which made the boat measure under the minimum length for the class. Harley sure had a funny look on his face when he read that tape measure himself.
    I think this is the boat Ben Majors near Smithfield Virginia built. If it is, Larry Lauterbach shortened it and improved it quite a bit. Harley painted the inside of the windshield at the Portsmouth Virginia race because he didn’t like seeing the water that close in front of him. The picture is in post #24
    Last edited by Brian Rogerson; 03-23-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Refer to picture

Thread Information