Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leecraft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leecraft

Anyone have info or some history on Leecraft. I have one and it looks like a Mirage .I was told by several they were built by Lee Collins? Brad Collins father before Mirage boats. I also heard the bottom was a Stoker to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think Leecraft is David Lee. Brad Collins' father is Louis Collins.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry sam

I knew something didnt sound right but i guess you get the idea.
    How about some Louis Collins and David Lee history. Now thats better.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Louis Collins

Louis Collins in 1976 at the Kilos in Kaukauna, Wisconsin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

anyone got a pic of the 15' Laser that Louis set the kilo record with back around that time ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Flashpoint,
    Here's a quick history for you:

Louis Collins and Mike Cullen came up with an idea for a new ModVP design. But they didn't have a factory or equipment to build a plug, molds or hulls, so they went to their friend David Lee of Lee Craft, and hired him to do the work.

They did some testing of thier own theories using a Stoker, but when it came time to build the Mirage, they began with a wooden plug built by David Lee and one of his employees: a young Brad Collins.

They went into production and built about 15 of these early Mirages. But the enterprise was not financially feasable - especially when trying to divide the profits three ways.

The partnership folded and the molds remained at David Lee's Cullman Alabama plant. After gathering dust for many years, David Lee - even though he didn't own them - sold those molds (we assume in lieu of storage fees, but that's just a guess).

I heard that Eagle One purchased them, but I am not certain about that.

Later, Brad Collins started his own plant known as "Mirage Boats of Texas" with the help of renowned plug and hull designer Tom Drozd. The first hulls were 12 foot boats for Sport C, SST45 and Mod C, called "Tom Cat's". (I bought one and met the builder for the first time a year later - he sure was CUTE!) A year or so later they created a better performing 18 foot ModVP "River Racer", which is a completely different hull than the original 18 foot Mirages built out of the Lee plant.

Hope that helps!

David and Chad Lee are still good friends with the Collins family. If you ever want more details, I'm sure David could fill you in some.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 02-25-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

David and Chad Lee are still busy building race boats:

This is the latest, called "Aero Slot" for both F1 and F2 (Champ and SST120)

This is Bill May in SST 120 class in his Lee built Aeroslot

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Campbell in his Lee Craft AeroSlot won the 2003 San Diego and the 2004 Bay City Champboat races.

Post Thanks / Like

Val, dang it, I REALLY want pics of the Laser. I figure if anyone has one you do............. & you know why

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Cute" Brad Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    Flashpoint,
    Here's a quick history for you:

Louis Collins and Mike Cullen came up with an idea for a new ModVP design. But they didn't have a factory or equipment to build a plug, molds or hulls, so they went to their friend David Lee of Lee Craft, and hired him to do the work.

They did some testing of thier own theories using a Stoker, but when it came time to build the Mirage, they began with a wooden plug built by David Lee and one of his employees: a young Brad Collins.

They went into production and built about 15 of these early Mirages. But the enterprise was not financially feasable - especially when trying to divide the profits three ways.

The partnership folded and the molds remained at David Lee's Cullman Alabama plant. After gathering dust for many years, David Lee - even though he didn't own them - sold those molds (we assume in lieu of storage fees, but that's just a guess).

I heard that Eagle One purchased them, but I am not certain about that.

Later, Brad Collins started his own plant known as "Mirage Boats of Texas" with the help of renowned plug and hull designer Tom Drozd. The first hulls were 12 foot boats for Sport C, SST45 and Mod C, called "Tom Cat's". (I bought one and met the builder for the first time a year later - he sure was CUTE!) A year or so later they created a better performing 18 foot ModVP "River Racer", which is a completely different hull than the original 18 foot Mirages built out of the Lee plant.

Hope that helps!

David and Chad Lee are still good friends with the Collins family. If you ever want more details, I'm sure David could fill you in some.
    So Val, how long after you thought Brad was "cute" did you marry him?

I remember Bradis Tomcat factory as I bought one and picked it up at the factory then drove it back to Wisconsin. Chuck Zolokoske won the SST45 nationals driving it for me at Kankakee in I think 1984. I sold the boat to OMC/Fred Miller & it went somewhere in South America.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-24-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Thread Information