Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re: Laser in the woods

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any photos of this boat running?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bttt

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The 390 Ray Comp was/is an amazing boat. The lighter thy are the better they handle the rough stuff. Mine is suppose to be a 500lbs kevlar boat.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dabull, Help..

We still have our 380 Ray, Laser and no one will drive it...Will plates settle it down? (I've wanted to put plates, but Foster says it will kill the speed)... What transom height do you run?? What angle should the prop shaft be??? What prop works well??

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, Is your boat a comp hull with stringers? Has the bottom been changed any? What does it do so badly that nobody will drive it? Weight placement makes a huge differance in these boats. To much weight to the rear and it will launch off rollers, Bounce/porpose or try to kite. To much weight forward and it won`t have enough bow lift. Our motor was a mid 80`s modified 2.4 Merc. We ran our tank just behind the driver seat and the battery right behind that. We also had no set back plate. Our prop was a Hoss Triton or a Merc Cleaver. We had water pick up`s in the stock location but were slightly modified. Our boat liked the CLE nosecone better than any other. This is the set up we used in sprint racing and it was a dream to drive.

Later on we started racing marathon races on the Mississippi river and other lakes where the water got really nasty. The rules required a driver and a rider with minimum weight being 1800lbs. For this type racing the set up was completely differant. We ran a stock Yamaha 225 Excel on an 18 inch Rapid Jack set back plate. Seating was tandum with the huge 75 gallon fuel tank behind the rider under the rear deck. Stock water pick up`s as per the rules and we ran a 29p Devil through hub prop with most of the bow lift removed. The handle wasn`t as good as in sprint set up but we had to run 90mph or better to be competitive and this is how we got there. Chuck Goodman (Hydrodynamics) supplied the transom plate and prop. He and i spent many hours running the boat with him in the back seat with a radar gun. I would aim for a metal boat house and he would record the speed. We would then go back to his shop and make changes. The transom started out at 21inches set back but at 18inches the boat handeled better and was just as fast.

Whatever the problem is it can be fixed i promise.

DB

Thread Information