Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So, how does one start out????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So, how does one start out????

Hi everyone,

Maybe this is the kind of post that should be in the FAQ section:

Since I discovered this forum about a week ago, I've really been itching to find out more about the current state of the sport. Thanks to a few of you guys, I've found a race for tri-hulls coming up, and then another race for sst 45, sst120, and tri-hulls next month that I hope to attend.

In the meantime, I've been wondering about how does a guy get started in one of these classes? Obviously, having an inheritance, or big money would help$$$$....but for the rest of us (I'm a school teacher, husband, and dad--- ie: little money ) where could a guy start looking? I've looked in the forum classifieds but don't see anything currently....and that is ok, I'm not in a hurry....at least not til the next race rolls around )

Back in the good old days like 35 years ago, when I was younger and kept up with local racing...boats and classes were way different---less technically advanced open boats, stock racing boats, etc...entry level classes and lots of local events. Since I've been reading on this forum about how the sport is declining, and needs new participants....well, consider myself as a potential new racer. How and where would you steer a new guy / family to get started?

Any suggestions where to find a good used boat, equipment???? Where's a good place to start looking down here in the Houston area? What classes are active, what's a good class to start out in that won't break the bank, yet be competive? I don't have a desire to be a world champ (I'm getting too old for that) but don't want to be the caboose either...

Any suggestions about which classes would be a family friendly, beginner friendly class, and group of folks to get involved with that is actively / regularly racing within lets say 300 miles of here. Feel free to email me at: catndahats@aol.com

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the tri hull class if your just wanting to do it for fun, used boats come available from time to time, My best advice would be to come to one of the races first,talk to the drivers ,see what goes on , maybe offer to help out or just observe . Theres only three classes that run down here anymore T-hull 45's and 120's ,I would like to see more entry level stuff as I think that is what will ultimately get more people involved. I will be working on that in the off season . If you decide not to race thats ok as we need all the people we can get to help put these races on and I'm sure John Shubert would welcome a serious offer to help,,,, I can send you a PM with more info.

Doug

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for writing Doug,
    I'm making plans to go to Orange for sure...not sure if I'll make it up to Somerville. I'll have a better idea of what's currently going on down here after I've been to a few races. I'm game for observing, crewing, selling hot dogs or whatever comes along.

You're a fairly new driver, aren't you? How'd you choose your boat, class, etc... How's your learning curve progressing?

I may be echoing others comments, but I wish there were more entry level / grass roots classes running down in Southeast Texas....you'd think with over 3 million people living in Harris County alone there would be more folks interested in something other than jet skis. But, I'd still rather see a large single group / class than 2 dozen classes running with only 3 or 4 boats in each.

Feel free to PM me, or email directly.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    I would recommend the tri hull class if your just wanting to do it for fun, used boats come available from time to time, My best advice would be to come to one of the races first,talk to the drivers ,see what goes on , maybe offer to help out or just observe . Theres only three classes that run down here anymore T-hull 45's and 120's ,I would like to see more entry level stuff as I think that is what will ultimately get more people involved. I will be working on that in the off season . If you decide not to race thats ok as we need all the people we can get to help put these races on and I'm sure John Shubert would welcome a serious offer to help,,,, I can send you a PM with more info.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
    Thanks for writing Doug,
    I'm making plans to go to Orange for sure...not sure if I'll make it up to Somerville. I'll have a better idea of what's currently going on down here after I've been to a few races. I'm game for observing, crewing, selling hot dogs or whatever comes along.

You're a fairly new driver, aren't you? How'd you choose your boat, class, etc... How's your learning curve progressing?

I may be echoing others comments, but I wish there were more entry level / grass roots classes running down in Southeast Texas....you'd think with over 3 million people living in Harris County alone there would be more folks interested in something other than jet skis. But, I'd still rather see a large single group / class than 2 dozen classes running with only 3 or 4 boats in each.

Feel free to PM me, or email directly.
    Nate
    Nate, there are several area's you could consider as affordable. Kneeler' racers are popular, not crazy expensive, competitive & sufficiently fast for many. I don't know if GT pro is still racing but is a cool class of OMC 25 V & tunnel boats. Good advise is to go & see whats racing within driving range. There you'll get a good perspective of if it's what you want to race & possibly find stuff for sale. Good Luck, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back if you will. There is another site you should join as well. It's Hydroracer.net. Plenty of racers there as well with many guys who might be close to you to assist you.

Thread Information