Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lee Sutter at DePue in 1972. I can't think of who V-1 is. Can't tell who the inside boat is, but kind of looks like the way Jim Stone kneels in a runabout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Anderson really got a kick out of this picture. I promised to send him a copy to show his kids. He said they wouldn't believe it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Phil Wagner at the first Hot Springs Invitational in 1972.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one I am especially proud of. I had posted it way early on in the autograph collection after I got John Schuberts autograph at the DePue Reunion. I always hoped I would be able to get Jerry Simison's autograph to complete the picture, and now here it is. It was taken at the Grain Belt Eastern Divisionals at Winona, Minnesota in 1975.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of these pictures are old and faded and nearly 40 years old. When I got ready to go to the Old Pharts Convention, my scanner and computer weren't working. I had wanted to get some autographs of Bill Seebold pictures from his OPC days, but I couldn't scan them. So I pulled stuff from my photo album and took them with me. That's where the shots of Bill, Lee Sutter, Phil Wagner and some of Jerry Simison come from. So here's another of Bill driving Miss Folsom at DePue.

Post Thanks / Like

This is another of Lee Sutter, but this time at Fort Buhlow Lake in Pineville (Alex) Louisiana in August 1973.

Post Thanks / Like

Another of Phil Wagner and also from Fort Buhlow Lake in August of '73.

Post Thanks / Like

I had cornered Bill Seebold and Lee Sutter together to get a bunch of pictures signed. When Bill saw this one, he made sure he got Lee's attention then said loudly with a big grin "Hey Wayne....why did you take this one with Lee out in front?".

This was another from the 1972 PRO Nationals at DePue.

Post Thanks / Like

This photo was taken at the 1975 Eastern Divisionals at Gadsden, Alabama. Phil was testing the boat, but it seems like Jimmy Aderholdt was supposed to drive it. Shortly before the race Jimmy noticed the clamp bracket holding the tower housing tube had a gap, so he tightened it up. When he pulled out of the pits, he started to turn right, but the motor was bound tight. Phil had had Walt Blankenstein machine some of the surface off the bracket so he could tighten up the steering.

I asked Phil "Isn't this a Hedlund?" and Phil said "Yes". So Ron and Gerry Hedlund were a few feet away and I got them to sign it along with Phil. Ron said this was the last hydro they built. It was built for Mercury Marine for the 25SS, but it was never put in the water. Phil found it behind Elmer Nord's house and it had lost its cover and tipped over. The bow was filled with water. There was not much wood damage, but it was stained heavily on the bow hence the black paint job. Phil set it up for M Hydro with a single cylinder Konig.

Post Thanks / Like

Every story I ever submitted to Powerboat, Powerboat & Waterskiing, Motorsport, The World of Speed, and some trade journals were published and never edited with the exception of a paragraph in the Propeller. Not that I am a good writer, but I guess everything fit OK. The titles to my stories and paragraphs were another thing entirely. The titles I sumitted were merely the title of the race, dates and where it was held. The editors were better suited to finding a suitable title to the story that put it into perspective. And I always hated writing captions. But, the photos needed to identify people and other objects in the pic. I don't recall any title or caption I ever wrote being used. The editors were much better at that, and I never knew which photos they would pic for either content or layout. So...that being said...

The photo that Phil Wagner signed above was one that was submitted to Powerboat in 1975, but not published. They used different ones in the story of the Eastern Divisionals held at Gadsden on Green Lake. After Phil signed the pic, he happened to turn it over and read the caption. Then he got everyone around him to read it and said, "Look what 'MY' buddy wrote about me". I had forgotten about that, but we all got a good laugh.

Thread Information