Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had asked John Schubert where his Dad, Bob, was on Saturday, but was unable to find him. On Sunday I gave a pic to John to show Bob, and tell him I needed an autograph later that day. John asked at first "Are you sure this is my Dad?" I told him it was. I talked with him and Michael about when I took the pic, and they were both born by then, but were too young to remember. I finally tracked Bob down and got his autograph. I didn't look the same either but we had a good laugh and then he tried to sell me a tri hull. I have heard from more than one source that without the Schuberts there would not have been the beginnings of the Texas Tri Hulls. This pic was taken as Bob was returning to the pits I believe at La Porte Texas in 1975.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

This one I took of Walter McFerrin at an OPC race at LaPorte, same race as the earlier ones. When I first met Walter, he was pitting for Charlie Bailey on Carson and Dixie Howell's team from Baytown. It was when I started going to OPC races I learned he drove too....and pretty damned good at that.

Darrell took this pic back with him and got Walter to sign it. I think I will start a new book just for the OPC guys. Seems I'm beginning to get enough to do that.

ADD: When I developed this print around 36 years ago, I didn't realize I had the negative in the carrier backwards until I got it out of the wash. I could have reversed it on my program, but I left it like it was. I hope Walter didn't think I did it on purpose sending him a message he had his head screwed on backwards.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Darrel

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Last one of Darrel. I printed this one in 1975. Like most of the original photos I got autographed, they came out of the reject box. Too light...too dark...or not the right one to send to Powerboat. I never really planned ahead to set up the darkroom to get really good quality photos for my autographed pics....so the one I dug out for Darrel to sign fits the bill. Darrel said who the other guy in the pic was, but I was talking to Mike Tilton at the time and forgot.
    Not sure if this is the same race, but the picture looks like Baytown Boat Club. If that other boat is Gene Thibideaux, then I'm right behind them . If this is the case, then that was my very first race. The very 1st turn of the 1st lap, I went right behind Darrel & he trimmed it way out & gave me a pretty good shower. I was wearing goggles & after that heat I switched to a faceshield. Darrel said that was my initiation.

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like Baytown and I did take a few pics there around 1974 I think. I will look at the contact sheets. If it is, I will send it to you along with another to return with your autograph for my collection. I still need to scan the ones of you riding the tail at La Porte as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one from the Corpus Christi Derby a couple of weeks ago. I don't have my notes with me right now so I can't identify the driver. I will later unless someone beats me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

This one I do know. "Scary Jerry" Rinker. When I got this signed I told Jerry that my old racing partner was Clayton Elmer. His eyes got wide and he said..."Clayton works for me"....with a huge grin on his face. I told him "I know". Clayton called me at the end of the next week. He said Jerry had found another tri hull covered in weeds and drug it out to fix it up for an upcoming race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Mike

That's what Mke Tilton said everytime he announced Micheal Schubert idling out of the pits to warm up. He told the ever changing crowd that Mike got the nickname for being able to come out of nowhere, or being so out of the picture, to end up on top. That's what he did here too. I don't have my notes in front of me but Michael was one of the key players all along, having won one, come up from behind in another, etc. and finished second in the run for the trophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Cory Walker.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have my notebook for the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one from Corpus Christi.