Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I do remember some references to Spam on the Baldy thread. I remember you didn't seem to like Spam! Something about the gelaten it's packed in I believe.

I love the stuff, Norma won't allow it in the house but I take it in my fishing lunch when she stays home.

Ann Chance made me a Spam sandwich for breakfast at DePue this year. Thanks Ann!

Spam goes great with eggs and most anything else. Diced in macaroni & cheese is super!

Re: Hostess.

Sorry to see the brand die.

I used to work for a trucking company that hauled from the bakery in St. Louis. The whole neighborhood smelled like Grandma's kitchen.

I hope "Twinkies" reappear somewhere down the line.

How's this for a recipe?

One slice of Spam 3/8 inch thick nicely browned on both sides sandwiched between 2 Twinkies.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure you got what it takes to be a chef Gene. I like Spam and Twinkies both, but the Twinkies would not make a good sandwich. Once again unions cost too much. I hope the he11 green energy companies don't unionize. They will go bankrupt as soon as the ink is dry and four times the bailout. I can't figure out how we keep bailing out green energy before they even start production.??? Oh well forget that.

Baldy liked spam. When the housekeeper/cook burnt the roast so black I hammered a nail into it and tied it onto a doorknob, Baldy started doing more than doing barbeque. Two of the early things he cooked were S.O.S. and also grilled Spam with side dishes. Seems like he might have also done something grilled with Spam that had mustard. Have to think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

You Don't know me but I saw your Picture of Jerry Siminson! I have been a friend of the Family for well since I was about 4 years old! My Father and a couple of my Uncles would Crew For Jerry and I worked For him when I got older at his marina. I grew up with Fast boats and was and still am good friends with his Son Todd. Because of Jerry I started Racing and was able to get all the way to F2 and I was 2003 US1 in SST70.
    I wanted to let you know this past Summer Jerry Was moved into a home because of his parkinsons(bad Spelling) His wife couldn't take care of him anymore, he doesn't remember much anymore, this is sad because he is a wealth of Knowledge and a all around great guy! He did make one helluva pistol or rifle!

Chris Waalen

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    This is another of those rare photos. When John Schubert was racing I didn't have any cameras. Then one day after he quit, he showed up at the nationals and I was able to get this pic of him and Jerry Simison together. John was one of the few greats from the past that I was able to get a photo of.

A side note about Jerry Simison. He is as competitive with making precision rifles and tuning them as he was in Pro racing. According to what Paul Simison told me he is in the top ten in the U.S. doing what he does. A lot of swat teams across the U.S. have Jerry make their rifles. Paul said you could read about Jerry in the American Rifleman in the section on precision tuning. I'm thinking of sending the photo of him and John together to get his signature added.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Sad to here he had to moved into a home Chris. A couple of years ago I went to an after New Years gathering at Ralph Donalds place in Florida where there was a bunch of outboarders from stock, through mod's, alky and OPC. I not only was thrilled to see a lot of my old friends like Ralph and Shirley, but also Bill Seebold, Bill Van, the Brinkman's , Clyde Queen. Bill Hosler and family, Jimmy Aderholdt, Dr. Phil Wagner, Ron and Don (Dewey) Anderson, Lee Sutter, I can't mention all the names of the people I saw there including legends I new of but never had personally met until then. That's where I first shook hands (unless it was Berlin 1977 and we couldn't remember) with Lars and Karina when we arrived at the entrance at the same time. All of this....and what my greatest memory of that night was sitting down and talking with Jerry and his wife. Not taking away from any of the other guests, but this was extra special. I had brought a lot of photos with me that I had taken through the years and Ralph had told me an approximate guess of who might be there. That guess was what I used to print the photos I would bring. I missed many, but my most prized from that night were the photos that Jerry signed.

He bought a lot of pictures that I had taken of him after his brother Paul went on other photo assignments. That night Paul was there too and took the group photo. It was a totally amazing gathering.

I had talked to Paul at length. I praised his beautiful photography and thanked him many times for helping guide me in not just boat racing photography, but in the photo path he loved. As with any of these type of get togethers, it takes awhile to see everyone you haven't seen for awhile, and in this case to talk with people you have heard about or read about, and after awhile things settle down so everyone can have good one on one talks. That's when I got to talk privately with Jerry and his wife. I had told Paul earlier that I was really wanting to get an autograph of Jerry, but I knew that he might be reluctant because of his Parkinson's. Paul told me that his doctor prescribed a new medication and it did wonders. He said I should go ahead and ask Jerry for his autograph.

It was just Jerry, his wife and myself at one small table near the bar and I asked Jerry for his autograph. I had told him that I was getting autographs from all my old boat racing friends and he immediately accepted. I had one of him and John Schubert that John had signed the year before, and I had several others I had taken about that same time in the mid 70's. Jerry had a big smile on his face looking at the photos, and his wife was looking at him while Jerry looked at the pictures. I know, because I looked at her looking at Jerry looking at the pictures.

I did not ask, but apparently Jerry had been asked to autograph things before. His wife alluded to it. When Jerry told his wife to sign my photos for him, she said "No"..."Jerry....you can do it." "You do it". Jerry took the pen I gave him, and he signed the pictures.

The last thing I remember about Jerry was him being very animated and having a great time sitting on a sofa surrounded by a bunch of his boat racing friends.

BTW Chris...I don't know you that's true, but with your family connections with Jerry, there is a good possibility that I might have pictures of you Dad and Uncles. Tell me the years that they pitted for Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the last two photos I got autographed at the 2012 DePue Reunion. The first one I had not posted yet, because I had posted the same photo minus one not that long before and I wanted different pictures ahead of it. However, it is a treasure to me because of a number of reasons. And I had mentioned a lot of this before when I first posted this picture, but I will repeat it again. It was my first and only ride in F runabout....the only time I rode deck, and in one of my favorite runabouts of all time....a Morton hull designed and built by cabinet maker Mr. Morton from Baytown, Texas. I was dating my first girlfirend Pam when I first raced at Baytown in 1966 and saw Miss Pam. She {Miss Pam) won just about everything she entered with the savvy Roland Pruett in the cockpit. He was a great guy and I always loved that boat.

The second reason is that when Charlie's main deck rider wasn't available, he asked me to ride with him. Uh..Oh! Charlie didn't have a regular rider! Usually once was enough. Although know one ever got hurt, most of them saw a lot of action....and it was all inside action. I knew all about it....but I accepted. Charlie and I were both in the lead for high point at Alex, and he would get the points if he won, but I could not turn this chance down.

Third reason. It was the only time I would ever ride in a boat powered by a Merc Quincy looper, and though I was a Konig guy I loved the sound and I always thought a lot of O.F.Christner. So I was in a boat I never rode in, but liked and respected the builder, didn't have a hand on the steering wheel or throttle, did not know anything about the motor other than it ran fast as hell, and had a great racing sound, and the guy who would be the pilot was an easy going maniac that would squeeze in between the bouy and any other boat close to it in the first turn.

I have posted previously several photos of Nationals with a group of four boats and four famous racers and was able to get autographs from each. This one I sadly got autographs from Charlie Bailey and Bruce Nicholson at Ray Yates funeral, and of course I signed as the deck rider before I posted it. But, I was glad to bring the photo to the 2012 reunion, and was able to get Bruce's regular deck rider's autograph. Craig Lawrence took time off from Hendrick Racing to come to DePue and visit with his old boat racing friends. His signature appears just below Bruce's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get to the second one last night, but here it is.

When I was talking to Joe Rome before the race and reunion last year, he knew who was going to be there and had thought it would be fantastic to get autographs from some Lone Star Boat Racing members I had posted from a 1976 race and then do a remake like I did with Ray Rodda and Alan Ishii. I thought it was a great idea, and we had it all planned out because everyone would be there except Denny Henderson's cousin, and Vapor Trail Joe would stand in for him. The picture was of Dale Sellers waiting for the 5 minute gun to fire, and the pit crew was all hanging around waiting. We would use Sean McKean to stand in for Dale Sellers and get his autograph as well.

Dale was a fantastic racer and a great guy. He joined BRF only several months before he died of cancer and Joe and I tried to post as much stuff about him as possible before he passed, and his twin daughters Joni and Toni said that BRF kept him going up until his final moments. It was that picture of Dale that Joe wanted me to recreate and I thought that would be perfect. I printed the picture for the guys to sign, and then had planned some time between testing and finals to get Sean to get his boat set up and arrange the pit crew as in the original photo, with Vapor Trail Joe with his back to the camera substituting for Denny's cousin. Of course we would have Vapor Trail Joe sign in himself. Sadly though, Sean's Dad Jim passed away just before the nationals. Sean went anyway because he and everyone around knew that Jim would want that. Then things went bad. Motors kept blowing up. Sean's pit man Billy put in a heroic effort in switching, rebuilding and working on motors, but in the end.....it was time to give it up.

I had talked to Denny Henderson, Al Davis, Craig Lawrence, and Vapor Trail Joe about setting up the scene and how to pose....showing them the old picture that I had brought with me. I never said anything to Sean. It was not the time or place for it, and we all expressed our sympathies to Sean and Lorraine, and were sorry for their loss.

This is the photo that Joe remembered that was one of the first ones posted on the Lone Star Boat Racing Association website. I got all these autographs from the reunion at DePue last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a few more autographs I have been hoping for at the Baytown boat races the previous Sunday. First one is of David Alaniz photographer extroadinaire and took pictures there. This photo was taken at the Palacious Firecracker 200 and was published in Motorsport Magazine. This is a part of the negatives Harry Echols gave me after Joe Rome and I went to see him and his wife Pat last year. I think it was in 1972, but it could have been 1973. Probably the year Joe promised to meet me at the judges stand and was a no show.

This happened at the beginning of the race. David told me the story last weekend. They started the inboards and outboards together in the marathon. Red Adair got a good start and was right up front. David got a good start as well. He came up on the outside of Red, but they were coming into some heavy chop down the back straight. David had originally planned to blow by Red and wave at him as he passed. When David saw how well Red's boat was pounding down some of the bite of the water, he tucked in behind him riding just inside the fanned out wake on the portion to the outside of the prop wash. David was probably a little too impatient, and made his move too soon to pass Red. As he told me, he still had on his mind looking Red in the eye and giving him a passing wave when he moved outside the wake and immediately dropped the outside sponson in the leading hole of a broadside smashing wave. He rolled instantly and his Merc goughed a hole in the mud. If you look at the pic closely, you can see the flywheel and everything below packed with mud. It was very shallow. I never noticed that until David pointed it out in the picture at Baytown.

Post Thanks / Like

I took these two pictures of Clayton Elmer while he was testing at our little race course in front of Baldy's house in 1972. Clayton had moved to Corpus Christi, Texas with his wife Doris and Kids Paula and Donnie in 1968 to be manager of the Marine and Motorcyle shop that Baldy and his partner Joe Hendricks had bought in 1968.

Clayton's management of the store left him little time for racing, but he did when he could.

In this photo, Clayton was driving a BellCraft. He was testing prior to a race. He did not like it. There may not have been anything at all wrong with it, but Clayton had been driving Marchetti's for the last several years and after being off and on, the feel may have just been too much to feel comfortable with. I tested it as well and I didn't like the lightness and high cowl. It felt like I could get in trouble real quick. I never drove it again. It was a color neither Clayton nor I ever used. It might have been Fred's Cafe Orange.

I have to say that I have been wanting this autograph for a long time. I took these photos with me to Ray Yate's funeral and got autographs there from Bruce Nicholson and Charlie Bailey, but it was the first time I had seen Clayton and Doris since the Baytown Boat Club reunion in 2006, and before that since 1974. So I got hung up in conversation and forgot to pull out the prints for Clayton to sign. I was lucky to be able to make the Baytown race a couple of weeks ago and Clayton, Joe Rome and I had some good quality hours together watching the races.

Our very first alky race where we actually had legal boats and motors was at Highlands, Texas (which we always refer to as Baytown) and we were pitted between Reles LeBlanc from Delchamps, Louisiand on our left and Jack Chance and Clayton Elmer on our right. We followed Reles in to the race course and backed in next to his trailer where there was room. We didn't think about it at the time. Most racers were clustered closer to the judges stand, but Jack had his trailer away to the right side. It was a big trailer with lots of boats, and we didn't think about the space he had probably laid out for their boats. After meeting Jack, he figured out that we had no clue, and so helped us in every way he could. Clayton joined in and we got set up and ready to race.

It was that very first race that my Dad, Jack, and Clayton hit it off, and after spending a whole afternoon of racing and lifting boats up and down a five foot wall, we were friends for life.

Jack Chance taught me the mechanics I know and Clayton taught me how to race. After my Dad took over finances of boats and motors and we became a team, Clayton was instructed (and he didn't need to be) that he was not to give me any favor. Win all the races he could. It did not matter if I was challenging him. If he had an overlap to wet me down, he would. We had some great races together, and one photo of us side by side just into a corner was in a bunch of programs in Texas and at Alex for several years.

I am proud that I could ever achieve the accomplishments of Clayton Elmer. The year before I started racing, I watched Clayton and Hu Entrop in a famous F Hydro duel on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Clayton ended up winning. And now I have the pleasure of a photo with the autograph of my biggest hero of boat racing. Without Jack and Clayton we might have made it anyway....but they took us under their wing the first day.

ADD: The autographs are not there. I edited the pictures to reduce them, but the autographs should have been there. They were at the extreme top. I need to start pointing out to my friends the best place to sign. Many sign at the edges, and if the photos are framed, the autographs will be cut off. I will try to redo this tommorrow so the autgraphs show.

Post Thanks / Like

These are pictures of Alex Wetherbee that his son Steve got autographed for me a couple of weeks ago. Soon I should have some of his brother Tommy. I first met Alex, Tommy and Steve in the mid sixties. They were tearing up the courses with their Quincy Loopers.

Alex was a youngster when he first started racing boats and became factory driver for Morphew boats when he lived in Paris, Texas.

The first photo is a Morphew hydro taken at a race in Arkansas or maybe Paris.

The second one was taken in New York after the 1949 Albany-New York Marathon. Alex would have won the B class and would have finished ahead of some D's and F's had he not run out of gas just before the finish line. His was the only Morphew with an afterplane they had added before the race. Most of the other boats were bucking a lot in the rough water, but Alex's ran more smoothly, and thus faster. There are two filmstrips of that race on U Tube. One is 10 minutes long, another is 20 minutes long, but is the same one as the first that repeats. A different version of that same race is 25 minutes long and was sponsored by Mercury and narrated by Paul Harvey. In that particular film there is about a 5 second clip of Alex around halfway through the race. The building in the background of Alex standing next to his Mercury can be seen in the shorter version of the race.

The last photo was taken at White Rock Lake near Dallas and was site of the 1950 APBA Nationals. When Steve was asking his Dad who the other gentleman was, Alex couldn't remember. After reading off some names of drivers who competed in the race Alex said he was sure it was "Tex" Flagg. The name of the winner of a four cylinder runabout class was H.L. "Tex" Flagg. Steve and I both think this is probably BRF member William "Tex" Flagg's Dad, and the 1950 National Championship boat and motor. I hope Bill sees this post and lets us know if it is indeed his Dad. The Wetherbee's lived in Denison, Texas at one time, and it's possible that they were friends back in those days.

After Steve gets me more information, either he or I will start a Wetherbee Family boat racing thread. Steve is a packrat too, so he has a lot of stuff to dig out and post.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    These are pictures of Alex Wetherbee that his son Steve got autographed for me a couple of weeks ago. Soon I should have some of his brother Tommy. I first met Alex, Tommy and Steve in the mid sixties. They were tearing up the courses with their Quincy Loopers.

Alex was a youngster when he first started racing boats and became factory driver for Morphew boats when he lived in Paris, Texas.

The first photo is a Morphew hydro taken at a race in Arkansas or maybe Paris.

The second one was taken in New York after the 1949 Albany-New York Marathon. Alex would have won the B class and would have finished ahead of some D's and F's had he not run out of gas just before the finish line. His was the only Morphew with an afterplane they had added before the race. Most of the other boats were bucking a lot in the rough water, but Alex's ran more smoothly, and thus faster. There are two filmstrips of that race on U Tube. One is 10 minutes long, another is 20 minutes long, but is the same one as the first that repeats. A different version of that same race is 25 minutes long and was sponsored by Mercury and narrated by Paul Harvey. In that particular film there is about a 5 second clip of Alex around halfway through the race. The building in the background of Alex standing next to his Mercury can be seen in the shorter version of the race.

The last photo was taken at White Rock Lake near Dallas and was site of the 1950 APBA Nationals. When Steve was asking his Dad who the other gentleman was, Alex couldn't remember. After reading off some names of drivers who competed in the race Alex said he was sure it was "Tex" Flagg. The name of the winner of a four cylinder runabout class was H.L. "Tex" Flagg. Steve and I both think this is probably BRF member William "Tex" Flagg's Dad, and the 1950 National Championship boat and motor. I hope Bill sees this post and lets us know if it is indeed his Dad. The Wetherbee's lived in Denison, Texas at one time, and it's possible that they were friends back in those days.

After Steve gets me more information, either he or I will start a Wetherbee Family boat racing thread. Steve is a packrat too, so he has a lot of stuff to dig out and post.
    Surprised he got that far with the sand cast clamp brackets & swivel bracket. They broke many that year so the next year Merc came out with the KF7HD with forged clamps & swivel brackets. My dad finished 4th that year with a KF9 with the HD parts which Merc provided at Albany(actuallt Schnectady where they tested) on a Sid Craft. His cockpit side tanks developed a leak & he had trouble seeing to even finish. They had to lift him out of the boat.

Thread Information