Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Ishii

Another great guy. Alan raced with us quite a bit in Texas. We always had good times together and Alan was one of the highlights of the reunion for me and Joe.

Alan Drove for Doc Collins during the time I raced. Doc was a fine fellow. And he had a pit man by the name of Tom Baldwin. Tom and I talked many times, and we decided we weren't kin. Then it was after I quit that Joe got quite a story from Tom after he retired. When I was racing Tom worked for Bell Helicopter in the South of France. The news is out now that Bell was a starving little company in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that the CIA funded and brought into prominence then became a front. Apparently Tom was some kind of spy. Joe can elaborate. I tell ya.....the boat racing community has a wide variety of interesting people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Ishii: A Christmas Memory

Truman Capote was famous for his novel "In Cold Blood". But he wrote short stories, also...J.D. Salinger wrote "The Catcher in the Rye" (If you haven't read this book, order it on line and read it...). J.D. Salinger wrote many short stories but he's famous for "The Catcher in the Rye"....which, in the Hill Family quoteds daily....goddamn it.

Anyway, in the Truman Capote story, "A Christmas Memory" he (Truman) talks about sending Christmas Cookies to people they really didn't know, but he and his "FRIEND" considered them closer than neighbors...

Max McPeek lived in Grand Ledge, Michigan, and maybe still does. But Max always said, "When I go racing, I'm IMPORTANT in Grand Ledge." Well, when Alan Ishii said he never knew how many friends he had....or words to that effect....Truth is all my Boat Racer Friends were always like "FAMILY" to me....We were in this together.....My neighbors milked cows on Sunday and went to church...We boat raced....with OUR FRIENDS!!!!

Not seeing Alan Ishii for 25 years was like not seeing a brother for 25 years....

Thanks, Wayne for posting your "Autographs".....Your pictures are PRICELESS!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is THE picture I have been wanting to get signed for the longest time Ron. I never thought it might be possible until BRF came along. Then I tried to figure the logistics of how to send 4 copies to you Ron, then you forward them to Kay for a signature, then he keep his copy and mail the others back to you, me and Joe. Well.....I knew you would be at the reunion, and Kay was supposed to be, but you never know. When I saw him, I knew I got my wish.

The reason it was so important was that when it was taken, you and Kay were heroes of mine. You were both famous boat racers. I had been reading about both of you in Roostertail, Propeller, Boat News and Hot Boat. I would take the publications to high school to show all my friends the pictures and articles on boat racing. To be included in a group picture of you two was beyond my wildest dreams.

Now I have only one question. I just discovered I got back home with two copies. Either you, Joe or Kay didn't get his. (Or another possiblity--I had a fifth copy signed for the auction and forgot to put it out.) I'll check with Joe and Kay. Let me know if it's yours I still have.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture.

This is GREAT picture, Wayne. I wish it was on the tables at the reunion.....(or I wish I had paid attention and seen it) Ron looks like he just woke up from a nap, you look like you're about 15, and Kay is figuring out how he is going to get all the engines ready for all his customers by the next race. Priceless.........
    Charley Bradley

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wayne

what's the setting of this pic. about what year? kay is a hero of mine. i saw him do things at different times in different classes of boats that blew my mind . didn't he pull your head out of the bottom at depue one year? might have dreamed that story

bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default If Kay was there....

...I would have been greatful if he pulled my head out of the bottom of my a%$ during the John Ward Race in 1974, but I think Kay was off doing Mod racing at the time. I WAS stuck in the bottom of Lake DePue, as was Alan Ishii a couple of years later, but it was a couple of rescue guys that got me unstuck.

This pic was taken at the Golden Shores Winternationals at Needles, California in 1969. The purse was $30,000 if I remember correctly and it brought a few top drivers from East of the Rocky Mountains. It was the first APBA race I ever ran. Prior to that I raced only LSBRA and NOA. I knew Kay Harrison and Bob Hering from NOA and they were the only guys I knew. I only knew Ron from the magazines and also guys like Rich Fushlin, Harry Bartolomei, Dick Davidson ? and others from reading about them.

It was a very memorable race for many reasons, and one why I cherish the autographed pic.

Side note: Most of the prize money was certificates toward the purchase of property at Golden Shores. I think Kay, my Dad and I joked that we should pool our certificates and buy some lots. Had we done that, it would have amounted to far more money than we ever won. When we were coming back from San Fransisco a couple of years ago I saw a freeway sign that showed Golden Shores had its own exit

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Thank you for posting these pictures! I haven't seen anyone since I quit racing back in 71. Sure miss racing although I doubt my old bones could take the punishment anymore.

Jerry Combs
    241C, 76C, 76Y

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Jerry

I miss racing too, and at this point my bones are still very enticed by offers from Ralph Donald, Dave Augustine, and others,, but here's what you can do. You like looking at the pics and reading the stories. How about posting some of your stuff in the encyclopedia. Looks by your numbers you ran in California and also Kansas , Missouri, Oklahoma area. The era you ran in was a great time for outboard racing. You may have even raced with my old racing partner Clayton Elmer.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not just getting autographs from racers. This is another prize one for me. I never really expected to cross paths again with Gene East, but when the Reunion started coming together, I knew he would be there. It is not a good pic, but it's all I have and the autograph by his own hand is what I really wanted. So....thanks Gene. One of the greatest all time pit men.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Friend Gene

Wayne,
    Great picture! I am proud to call this man my friend. I talked to so many people at the reunion that said Gene cranked their motor before a big race. I even think he pulled the rope for us when we finished second with a "B" Looper in DePue. So that is why his right arm is longer than the left?

Thread Information