Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sean and Jim McKean

When I first met Jim he was still living in California, then about a year or so later he moved to Texas. It was because of Jim's efforts that Konig didn't go unchallenged as they began to overtake the once dominant Merc Quincy's. Jim's importing of Yamato engines beginning in the early 70's is a big part of alky racing's history. I am proud to have these photos in my collection. I don't know who took them, but I am glad that Jim sent them to me and I got them signed in the pits in DePue.

A little sidenote: Jim had run a few kilos and held the 500 hydro record that I broke in 1977. Some years later it was Sean that broke my 700 hydro kilo record I set in 1976. So these guys were special and I am glad to get their autographs.

ADD: Jim sent me a bunch of stuff relating to their racing careers that I want to put in the encyclopedia when I get some business stuff out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your prizes with us all
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam. I started this in 1979, but I didn't make that many races afterward and abruptly quit in in 1981, so I had a lot of catching up to do. I did quit a bit of it at DePue. The photos aren't the best, but in some cases like Johnny Woods it was the only one I had , and I didn't have time to search out many photos I would have probably used, but the main factor was to get the names on the photos. I had some with me that I wasn't able to get signed because we didn't cross paths, and I had some I had anticipated showing up that didn't, and many photos I wasn't able to get printed in time. But in many cases, it was like with Johnny Dortch. I didn't get to spend much time with him because he was in such demand, and I didn't go get the print or pen. And he was there only a short time.

But I got more than I expected, and I got some addresses to send prints to for signing. Hey Sam....if you ever get within a few hundred miles of here, you need to come by and take a look. Two hundred miles is just a day's work down here.

Post Thanks / Like

If I ever get a chance to see Pete at his place, the trip will include a stop to visit you as well.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be good. I think Pete is only 9 or 10 hours north. I need to give him a call. His daughter was supposed to have him trained on a computer more than a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hoz Compton

Hoz is one of the many greats that came out of Florida. I had already quit by the time he started running 500 hydro. But I remember him being one of the guys to beat in 250. Hoz was good at hitting the clock on time, and if he came out of the turn first....forget it.

ADD: I forget who asked him where the name Hoz comes from, and I believe he said it was derived from Hosmer. It is a family name that has been handed down from the time of the Revolutionary War. (Hoz please step in to add or correct, because there were too many tales to remember completely). My recollection was that Hosmer was THE GUY who fired the "Shot Heard 'Round the World".

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Ishii

Another great guy. Alan raced with us quite a bit in Texas. We always had good times together and Alan was one of the highlights of the reunion for me and Joe.

Alan Drove for Doc Collins during the time I raced. Doc was a fine fellow. And he had a pit man by the name of Tom Baldwin. Tom and I talked many times, and we decided we weren't kin. Then it was after I quit that Joe got quite a story from Tom after he retired. When I was racing Tom worked for Bell Helicopter in the South of France. The news is out now that Bell was a starving little company in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that the CIA funded and brought into prominence then became a front. Apparently Tom was some kind of spy. Joe can elaborate. I tell ya.....the boat racing community has a wide variety of interesting people.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink All in a name?

And he had a pit man by the name of Tom Baldwin.
    Apparently Tom was some kind of spy.
    Are you sure that was his real name.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You got me there Tom........

.........I don't suppose you are related either. Let's hear what Joe has to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Ishii: A Christmas Memory

Truman Capote was famous for his novel "In Cold Blood". But he wrote short stories, also...J.D. Salinger wrote "The Catcher in the Rye" (If you haven't read this book, order it on line and read it...). J.D. Salinger wrote many short stories but he's famous for "The Catcher in the Rye"....which, in the Hill Family quoteds daily....goddamn it.

Anyway, in the Truman Capote story, "A Christmas Memory" he (Truman) talks about sending Christmas Cookies to people they really didn't know, but he and his "FRIEND" considered them closer than neighbors...

Max McPeek lived in Grand Ledge, Michigan, and maybe still does. But Max always said, "When I go racing, I'm IMPORTANT in Grand Ledge." Well, when Alan Ishii said he never knew how many friends he had....or words to that effect....Truth is all my Boat Racer Friends were always like "FAMILY" to me....We were in this together.....My neighbors milked cows on Sunday and went to church...We boat raced....with OUR FRIENDS!!!!

Not seeing Alan Ishii for 25 years was like not seeing a brother for 25 years....

Thanks, Wayne for posting your "Autographs".....Your pictures are PRICELESS!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Thread Information