Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred Miller

When I heard Fred Miller was going to be there, I was going to make a print of his boat. Then there was talk Bob Hering might show and I thought it would be cool to get both autographs on this pic. Hopefully, I will run across Bob again some day and get his also. Who knows...I plan to carry my collection to all races I attend in the future and maybe I might also run into Terry Leatherby and John Hill. I'm not sure who is on the far left. I guess I need to look it up.

This was podium from the 1978 UIM OE World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Last Photo

Wayne: for those of us that dont know from left to rite who is who? John Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks John...

..........you forced me to go into my racing room and look up the name of the only guy I didn't recognize. I have known the name for many years, but I didn't put a face to it. Guess I wasn't paying attention when I took the pics. From left to right Gordon Downard, Terry Leatherby, Bob Hering, John Hill, Fred Miller.

Incidentally, Mike Ward informed me that John Hill died in a bizarre F1 accident a few years back. I was sorry to learn that. Details were never published, but the rescue boat capsized on its way to shore after John was badly hurt in a crash.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tim Butts and Charlie Strang

I took this from the pits with my telephoto. I could kick myself for not walking up their and getting some good shots of Charlie and Ann Strang together. That's Ann sitting in the chair. The guy to Charlie's left is Lee Hertz. He wrote the Region 6 column in Propeller for a number of years. The guy to the right of Lee looks familiar, but I can't recall the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Default jim Schoch

I like this pic because it is not only a closeup of Jim's face, but it is not a mug shot because he is in his runabout. What really caps it off historically though is the clear shot of the Merc Quincy patch on Jim's left shoulder. Jim is one of the few drivers that was already famous when I started and one of the top in the U.S. that I was able to compete with for a number of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tim Chance

Joe and I were very glad to see Tim Chance come to the reunion and be able to visit with him. His Hydroplane Quarterly captured historic moments and persons in a transitional period of pro racing. In looking back at some of the pit shots I have during the years, we pitted next or close to Tim on many occasions. I am very proud to have these as part of my collection.

The first is one of Tim coming into the pits at the Eastern Divisionals at Springfield Illinois in 1977. You can see the small wings that gave him a fit whenever he got the boat up to speed. He promptly got rid of that experiment.

The other pic is from the Eastern Divisionals at Gadsden Alabama in 1975. Tim is helping my Dad Baldy and Tim Butts get an aerowing in the water. I was trying to figure out which boat this was. The paint scheme isn't finished. It may be "Texas Tornado" which knocked me out of the 75 season and Tim B. delivered it after repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete Nydahl

Pete Nydahl is one of the few great racers I was able to get photos of when they were still young and starting out. What a great guy. Pete has been around boat racing all his life. I knew his Mom Doris would be at the reunion so I had a copy of this pic for her. We were talking at the time Charlie Strang started his speech & we never got to finish, but it was good to see the both of them again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall Grant

I actually got this one signed prior to the reunion. I had promised one for the silent auction, and knowing how things can happen, I was afraid Marshall might have to be in Nashville when Joe and I were passing through Memphis. So I got this one signed several months before we left. Marshall signed some other pics when we got to see him on the way up. I left some other pics with him I had taken through the years and both Joe and I were surprised to hear Marshall say that he really didn't have very many pictures of his boat racing career.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Seebold

The last time I saw Bill Seebold in person was at a PPA race in Lake Charles, LA. in 1979. We had a great visit.

This first pic was taken 8 months after I bought my cameras and the second only 6 months, so I was very fortunate to have taken these in the last year Bill ran Pro. The first one was taken at DePue in 1972 and was Bill's last Pro Nationals to compete in.

The second one has historical significance too. This was the first AOF Pro race in Gravois Mills, MO in 1972, and also Bill's final year of pro racing. I had copies of this for Marshall and Bill, and Bill got to the reunion in time to sign a copy for the silent auction.

Post Thanks / Like

That concludes the pics I got signed at the reunion. I think. I misplaced some stuff, and a pic or two may pop up. But now, I will post the pics I first started out with when I started gathering my autograph collection in 1979.

This first one is one of Tim Butts' favorite shots. His, mine and Joe's most favorite photos is the "Water Wars" pic that appeared in the Dayton Daily News, but other than that, Tim always liked this one. I took it when he was testing prior to the 1977 UIM OD World Championships at Dayton. I regret that I wrote the magazine names that it appeared in, but at the time I thought it was cool. I had it hanging in my office.

This boat, an Aerowing built by Tim, ran only two races. The Pro Eastern Divisionals at Springfield, Illinois in 1977 and the OD World Championships at Dayton, Ohio a few weeks later. It was owned by Joe Michelini. Joe didn't like Tim's game plan for Dayton and when Tim refused to drive it with two 500cc Yamatos stacked up in the 1100 hydro nationals, Joe took the boat away. As far as I know, it went to Joe's warehouse where it was disposed of after his death.

Thread Information