Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default C'mas

Well, I didn't get what I wanted for C'mas. i.e., no way to get my slides onto the computer (yet), but I did get a unit to copy VHS to DVD. I sent an email to Master Oil Team, please check it out. In the meantime, I'll get back with it.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Got Steve's E mail. Hopefully, soon there will be some old converted 8mm alky footage on BRF.

Post Thanks / Like

As is typical, I get close to the end of a project and it slows down. There are a few more autographed pics to post. Here's another.

This one was taken between heats of the 1977 OD World Championships at Dayton, Ohio. To me it is a poignant photo because Tim and I were locked in serious match for the title. For me it was to retain the title. For Tim it was much more than that. He had never raced the 700cc brutes before and Dan Kirts had told him a month before that he was an A/B driver....he had no business driving D's. In fact, Tim was a bit terrified at the speeds we were dueling sponson to sponson at. This was taken during the required two hour span between heats. Two great friends , my Dad and Tim Butts, relaxing in the pits as much as you can with the underlying tension of just waiting....and thinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baldy and Tim..........

Tim didn't look too tense and Dad didn't look too worried......... How did it end up? I have been gone for a while and hang on your every word regarding the coverage you bring on these races. Wish I could have been there.........
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-25-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Charley, you're right about the look. I guess you had to be there. You know how it is just before racing starts? You are not hungry. Time had drug on enough that Tim needed to eat and had a box of chicken....I think. That smile was because I was taking a pic with my wide angle lens of him having lunch. Charley...if you go to the middle of An Amazing Story part 1, I think that's about where the story of this race starts. It ended up with Tim winning while sitting on the bank in the pits. It was the most formidable series of racing I ever encountered, and it was won by the best man. Tim only built a boat to race that series because we were solidly into promoting international racing, In 1977 the U.S. was awarded the UIM OD World Championships. That's why Tim built a boat for Joe Michelini, No.V8, and entered the race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Woods and Paul Bogosian

Johnny Woods and Paul Bogosian were from the same area...around St Louis. I had a lot more photos of Johnny, but I loaned out a carousel of pics and they disappeard. Johnny either started racing inboard hydros just before or after this race in DePue...the 1972 pro nationals. Johnny came to the DePue Reunion (I think from a threat or coercioun from Ron Hill if he didn't) and he got such a reception that he had to take up the microphone. You can see the pic in APBA's PROPELLER. It was made clear that he now went by the name of John, but in the spirit of the times and what everyone knew him by in those days, he signed his name Johnny. And Paul had to leave early to take a flight to Australia. I didn't get a chance to find out what had actually happened to warrant Paul's pointed finger. I must have known at the time, or I wouldn't have pulled up a camera to take the pic. My guess is that it had to do with D runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go West Young Man

Wayne ,I Told You Along Time Ago I Thjink Paul Is Telling Johnny To Go West Young Man.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ask him at the reunion Joe, but from the look on his face it looks to me like he's telling someone else where to go.

Here's one of our old friends from Hot Springs....Tom Goslee. I met Tom early on in my career, probably at Texarkana in 1966. I don't recall any national race that Tom wasn't there racing.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a rare pic. Ruth Butts testing a new Aerowing at my Dad's place.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one of Bruce Summers from DePue 1974. Don't know who the deck rider is. Maybe Bruce will tell us.

Thread Information