Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Collection

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Remo and Guiseppe Landini

I remember the Landini's from Berlin 1976. I got to Berlin before my teammate David Westbrook and had three new propriders to rig up. An OA, OB and OD. Remo and Guiseppe Landini with their pit crew showed up standing just outside a large door on the backside of Dieter's factory. I climbed out of the cockpit of one of the boats and walked up to them. It was Guiseppe I spoke to first. The first words we had each of us discovered that we had a language gap. Guiseppe touched his own chest with a finger and said either Landini or Guiseppe, I forgot which. Then he touched my chest and asked "Tu?" I didn't respond so he again touched his chest and named himself, then touched me and asked once more "Tu?" , at which point I said "Wayne". Although we never actually had conversations, with sign language and a common love of boat racing we became friends. We pitted next to the Landini's at the race and helped each other. Over a number of years we exchanged Christmas cards. I loaned Guiseppe one of my boats, and he almost won the OB World Championships in 1978. This photo was taken in Berlin. It was signed by both Remo and Guiseppe as well as a couple of their pit men. I don't know what the greeting says.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landini......

Wayne........Isn't the boat Guiseppi is driving a laydown? It looks like he was flying it a little high before the turn and had to move up to keep it in the water. Just caught my attention.................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

No Charley...and it was Remo driving. He was in a kneeler as they call it and Dieter's nephew is in the proprider on the inside rounding the bouy. These are one pin turns, so Remo's sponsons would have been buried as he scrubbed off speed. At this time most drivers had the laydown propriders, but some still drove kneelers, and one of the most successful still was Erwin Zimmerman from Austria. You can look at the way he was up on his knees and leaning into the turn is kind of like the way the stock guys in round chine runabouts use body language to make inside fast track on a turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Han Georg Krage

I always loved being around Hans. He lived life to the fullest. He was very passionate about boat racing and he lived for speed. The BMW motorcycle factory in Berlin gave Dieter 2 bike frames. Dieter put a 350 Konig on his and Hans put a 500cc Konig on his own. He specialized in customizing Porsche automobiles. If he got a wild hair, he would sprint at high speed down a boulevard. One time on the way to a race in West Germany he got so mad when he was telling me about when Renato Molanari ran over him (Hans swears it was on purpose) he was pounding the dashboard and steering wheel. The he put both hands on the ceiling and told how he pushed up against the bottom of Molanari's boat. Walt Blankenstein's wife was terrified at the way he drove along without any hands on the steering wheel. There was only one Hans G Krage..no 12.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wilfried Weiland

Wilfried Weiland is from Austria. Among other accomplishments, he was UIM OD World Champion in 1980. He is a great guy and always had top notch equipment and pit crew. Wilfried was also able to land some great sponsors i.e. Shuh Ski and Citizen Quartz. I have a funny story to tell about him coming up on An Amazing Story Part II.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really remember this driver. It appears to be Bill Berkholdt, but I can't remember him. The pit man lifting his boat out of the water is Otto Markus No, 99 from Hagen, West Germany.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see this stuff, please keep it coming.

In the 2nd photo signed by Hans, the boat in the background looks like a Burgess with a Volvo/Konig motor. Just wondered if you know who may have been driving it ?

Post Thanks / Like

That was Erwin Zimmerman from Austria Minominto.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks to you Wayne.

May I also ask what event that was and how those boats compared in performance?

Post Thanks / Like

That was at Strandbad Oberhavel in West Berlin not too far from Tegel Airport Mintominto. The event I went over for was the UIM OD World Championships in 1977. It was billed as the World Cup with German Championships in the other classes. Your question has caused me to go to the program and discover an error. While Erwin Zimmerman drove Ranier Bisterfeld's cat in the OD World Championships at Berlin in 1978, it was Wolfgang Ludwig driving the Volvo Konig powered Burgess in this photo. While I was looking at the contact sheet I discovered a pic of Erwin Zimmerman with his distinctive helmet in his kneeler in the same heat, also no. 77. Michael Werner, Roger Jenkins, Gunter Becker and Karl Heinz Kahl were also in this race. I didn't know Wolfgang Ludwig, and always connected 77 to Erwin. My apologies, but it is correct now.

Here's a bonus pic for you Mintominto. I brought this photo with me to my last race in Berlin 1981 to get Roger Jenkins' autograph. Unfortunately he didn't make that race. It's extremely unlikely we'll ever cross paths again so that's one I missed. The one I truly regret the most though is of all the opportunities I had, I never got Dieter Konig to sign one of my pictures.

As far as performance, the propriders are actually pretty good on the one bouy turns. The cannot turn like a cat, but the bottom designs of these European boats allow quick deceleration and they can get back on top quicker than the cat. The propriders are much faster down the straights. From what I remember back then, the cat could stay on the throttle longer and would close the gap at the turn, but overall the proprider was quicker. However, if it got a little rougher and the proprider was more sponson pounding than flying, then the cat would be superior. I never ran on enough variety of courses to get a good handle on it and cats were just coming into the 500 and 700cc classes when I quit. I did watch Hans however in an alky fueled OE proprider trail in Cees Van Der Velden's wake in an ON for about 45 minutes before hitting a log. Cees was able to steer so that the floating debris went between the sponsons, but Hans was unable to avoid it.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 04-11-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add comments

Thread Information