Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glastron Molinari Restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Sam,
    Have you ever seen, or heard of a 2+2? That brochure shot is the only one that I've ever seen
    Me too. Again, Joe is probably our best source of information.

I think it is odd that no 2+2 Moli has ever turned up. The problem is likely that the people who own them now have no idea what they are, considering the large number of Magnum Missile/Schulze copies there are out there as Rabcos, Seabees etc, the 2+2's are probably mistaken for them
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, a few pictures would be awesome if you could get them to send you some. Also if you could ask them to take a tape measure to it and see if it is an 18 footer, that would be a start.

Something that could be a confusing issue is that there were also Carlsons of that size and some had custom bottoms that could probably be mistaken for the G/M 2+2 or may have even been called a 2+2 by Art. To me what really makes a G/M 2+2 a G/M 2+2 is the deck, windshield and seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Old Girl is Making Progres

Here is an update on Joe Schulte’s Glastron. After a couple of weeks in the cue the team at Sankuer Composite Technologies (www.sankuercompositetech.com) got to work. It’s really great seeing the original yellow color show itself. Note that we trimmed the cockpit sides back to the original shape.

As is ALWAYS the case in a restoration project like this we found our first “hidden” surprise. The transom wood has spots of rot. Oddly the exterior looked great until we started stripping everything back. The wet wood was encapsulated deep inside. Not a problem, the new transom will be as strong as the original.

In addition to making sure the structural integrity was sound one of our objectives is to make sure the boat stands tall cosmetically. To prevent the inevitable cracks from the old resign reappearing it will get a thin glass veneer on the decks. It will not add much weight but will make a nice stable base for the new paint.

The next challenge we need to address is the dash. Since we are taking this back from the inline six power to the OMC KC we need to plug the existing holes and figure out the period OMC set-up. My recollection is that boats from this era didn’t have “race” instrumentation beyond the trim indicator. I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm this assumption. If it did have a tach, which one would they have been used on an OMC KC?

Thanks for the help everyone………….

scot keller
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Scot Keller
    45M

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom Shots

Here are a few shots of the transom.

scot
    Scot Keller
    45M

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking Good....

Can't believe I didn't see you in Detroit....

Here is the inside back cover ad, from Powerboat, December 1970.

Pretty sure it is Scotti on the right...S-71, seems maybe was Art Kennedy...

You guys are making progress on the "High Rider" Molly!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Ron

Ron:

Here are a few new Glastron pictures. The Hunch-Back has lost her “aero” modification and the bodywork is progressing nicely. Now that we are down to the yellow color we can clearly see the original stripes. They are a little different than the pictures you posted but they look like they came from the factory.

Next week the Sankuer Composite guys are going to build a jig to keep the boat square while they replace the rotten transom wood. I’m guessing it will be out of the composite shop in a couple of weeks and we can start the rigging process.

scot
    Scot Keller
    45M

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glastron Carlson Molinari

Glastron Molinari 2 + 2 Sportabout in shown in a 1970 catalog, 1st picture. I heard years ago that mabey this model was never produced.Other two glass boats shown are Challenger and Contender. Also shown are the wooden Molinaris that you are restoring. I also have ( all this stuff will be on e bay Friday)Glastron Molinari application form ( they would not sell to anyone) with a letter from Glastron and envenlope dated Dec. 15,1970. I have a friend here in the county that still has a nice Glastron Challenger with a 135 Mercury that I rebuilt years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Pics........Thaks Ray

Ray:

It sounds like you have some cool stuff. We’ll keep an eye out for the e-bay listing. It would make a nice addition to the project. Fortunately the one we are restoring is glass, not wood. It's a shame but most of the wood boats from that era went back to mother earth years ago.

BTW, that glass Lee Craft in your post would make a sensational vintage OPC contender. Do you know were that one is?

Thanks again Ray.

Scot
    Scot Keller
    45M

Post Thanks / Like

Its too bad it will probably fall into the hands of a collector who just files it away like Captain Kidd's lost treasure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Its too bad it will probably fall into the hands of a collector who just files it away like Captain Kidd's lost treasure.
    Yeah probably in some godawful cave in Georgia..........

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Thread Information