Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Names from the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Thunder
    Fred ... you never told us what the answer was to your question.

PS: Where is Bob Hering now ... what is he doing?

He's making awesome propellers for Offshore

Hering Propellers
    4806 56th Place Northeast
    Marysville, WA 98270
    360-659-4315

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info:

On April 17, 1986:

Bob Hering set the outboard power boat record of 165.338 mph, in Parker, Arizona

That same day, television viewers are focused on Geraldo Rivera as he opens Al Capone's vault & finds nothing.

(We would have much rather watched Bob set the record!)
    Last edited by Miss BK; 05-18-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do these guys have in common

Fred--I never knew Arlen and Freddie worked for OF. We were pitted next to them at Sunset Lake at Corpus Christi in the fall of 1965. I broke the block of our KG-7 and split the tower housing when I got a slug of water in Mexico, and the B Merc we had just bought wouldn't start. Freddie was winning just about everything in hydro and runabout with his funny looking Konigs. We found out they were dealers, so my Dad wanted to buy some. Freddie said he would sell the ones they were running, but my Dad said we were through buying used engines, we wanted new ones. We had yet to even get to the starting line with our used stuff. The first photo is Freddie Goehl. Sorry I don't have any of Arlen.

2nd photo Jim Schoch. Jim was very talented in both hydro and runabout. Always one of the ones to beat.

3rd photo, Bob Hering. Always at the top regardless of what division or class. When I was first starting, we were at Knoxville and I had my A Konig on an 11-6 or 8 Sidcraft. Bob asked "Why do you have it on such a big boat?" I said "It's the only one I have." He just replied "OK!"

4th photo. That race in Knoxville. Start of a heat of A Hydro.

5th photo. Jerry Waldman at Hot Springs, Ark 1972. He was captain of the North Team in the Invitational Challenge race. This may be the last nonracing photo taken of Jerry. He had just come in from testing and my Dad asked how it was going. He had it floating pretty good. He said "It has good top speed, but it would take a calendar to measure the accelleration." and that is when he spread his arms wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

I had an A Konig like yours, with the skinny little factory bounce-pipes, and tried it once on a big heavy BOH Bell-Craft (built by Marcel Belleville, owned, at that point, by Duane Wallick). Despite using my smallest prop, a little old bronze wheel by Papa Smith, that poor little Konig would lose the pipes about a third of the way through the turn, and take a third of the straight to pull them again!

Had a funny experience a couple of years ago when I dropped in on a local wildcat race and found several old-timers from Seattle Outboard. Somebody (nameless here, because he should have known better) was unsuccessfully trying to beach-start his later-model A Konig. He pulled and pulled, took plugs out, checked for spark, pulled and pulled, put plugs in, primed, pulled, etc., etc.. Then his brother, a big strapping guy fifteen years my junior, took over, and pulled and pulled. Tiring of this (it was badly flooded!), I elbowed big brother aside, directed little brother to hold WOT and ditch the primer can, and started pulling. In about ten pulls it started to pop (at which point they wanted to prime it again!!), and with another dozen pulls it was running. When they shut it off, I patted big brother and said, "You guys just needed a Real Man pulling the string!" Dick Rautenburg, having watched the proceedings with knowing ammusement, gave a big snort at this because he had run A Konigs for years and knew that one of their distinctive characteristics was that they had almost zero cranking compression. So much for Real Men!!

Tomtall

Wink November 1964

Some of our comittee members of APBA in 1964. Recognize anybody? Check out Fred at the bottom page!

Post Thanks / Like

Except for the glasses, Fred hasn't changed a bit !

Tomtall

Smile Fred

Well ----------------- The first picture he's smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

I catch him laughing every now and then....

Tomtall

Smile Smile

That's the Fred we all know! Thanks BK.

Tomtall

Cool Southern Cal. Club

Southern Californias Cruisers Assocation Photo.Nice hat Thol!

Thread Information