Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well i'll be..........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Doug Thompson

I was wondering about Doug Thompson? Great to see his Marchetti. Doug was not at the DePue reunion. Although we did not run the same classes, Doug and I were kind of good luck for each other. Doug won an exciting B Hydro race in DePue in 1972, then repeated at Hinton in 1977.
    Had the pleasure of visiting with Canadian driver Willy Kersges at the reunion. A very nice guy and great sportsman. Hope we can go fishing sometime Willy.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Rideau Ferry 07

Bob; It was a good 'gathering' , great weather, although the bay we ran on was rough for the o/b's, , though better than running over logs on the Suwannee in FL.
    Bud made the most noise with his M75H stacker.
    We may run a Vintage show there in the off years to the Clayton Regatta, but likley not a stock o/b race, unless it is a marathon.
    We have the TecCraft here[ON], and have raised the transom to try it with a DCH motor this Sunday. It has had a few mods since it set the records in the '80s. We may just have to bring it down this winter to get Cronk to look at it. It may be a bit small by present day standards for a 44xs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geodavid View Post
    I was wondering about Doug Thompson? Great to see his Marchetti. Doug was not at the DePue reunion.
    I have not seen Doug in over 20 years, even the day I picked up the boat and engine, he wasn't there. Bill Wanamaker, the owner of the boat and engine Doug drove told me Doug was having trouble facing the fact that the stuff was being sold........kind of like it was a part of his younger years that was slipping away. Guess looking back, with me being 47 now, I guess I can relate to how he felt.

Bill owned an Esso gas station in Wellington Ontario, and I used to stop in there from time to time on my way to Picton. On the wall in Bill's office were Doug's CBF high Point plaques, trophies and pictures. I spoke to Bill's son my last time there (again.....almost 20 years ago) and he said he often thought about going back to a race cause he missed the good times, and good racing.
    I did a simple search for "Bill's Esso" in Wellington Ontario, and got no results.
    I also tried Canada 411 for Doug Thompson, and Bill Wanamaker Wellington Ontario, but got no results.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's a possible clue:

Douglas J Thompson
    80 Paul St, # 1
    Picton, ON K0K 2T0
    (613) 476-7259

Post Thanks / Like

Cool M75H, Rideau Ferry 07

A few pix of Bud Clarke's DeSilva FSH.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more pix R'F 07

The ASH and CSHs enjoyed the rollers coming across the course from the passing cruisers.
    This DCH was doing well until it blew over coming off a big one.
    The inboards, like this 7 litre, did not really notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle View Post
    What did I tell you Randy?

You spend enough time up to yer gonads in the water helping out, you're bound to get in and drive!!

Check out this link for a few good pics, including some good shots of Hunter and Dave: http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/R...2007Photos.htm
    I was in the cold water so long, my ''gonads'' were no where to be found.

Thread Information