Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ex.Chamber Science

Post Thanks / Like

Remember I said that every dimension of the pipe affected the action in
    some way? Well, a larger volume middle also favors accelleration and
    mid rpm power. Smaller volume middle favors high rpm power.
    How about changing the middle length and volume of the pipe instead
    of the whole pipe by sliding it at the middle/back instead of the front?

Harry Pasterzak made pipes like that 25+ years ago. Here's an xray
    view:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 02-21-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default exhaust pipes

Very interesting. I didn't see where this conversation started, but we experimented with ZAK STAKS extenstively in 1970. They were fixed and we changed stinger sizes with a tool to remove and replace strong springs that held the stingers in place. That Zak STACK era was a transition from the can (I'm only speaking of Konigs here because it was prior to Yamato and before Quincy water injection} to the sliding pipes. I hope the previous sentence isn't too confusing.

When I first found this site (thanks to Joe Rome), and I surfed around I thought about an interview I did with Dieter Konig in 1975. I had recalled him telling me about how he accidentally found a horsepower increase when he hooked up a device to funnel exhaust fumes out of the room where he tested motors. He claims to be the first one to harness horsepower from pipes. I never researched to see where the origins lay, but I do know I saw him open up a drawer and pull out an old dog-eared diary and turned to the page where it was recorded. It was all written in German but there was a sketch of what he had hooked up and a description of how the engine responed.

In my mind the revolutionary exhaust designs are what sparked the need to build boats to handle the increased horsepower and corresponding speeds. I never wrote the article about Dieter I intended to and never listened to the tape again, but I thought there was some stuff there that this audience would be interested in. I rewound the tape from where my interview stopped (not in Dieters office, but at the Berlin boat show 1975) and when I went to play it back I found out that it stripped from the spool.

I am going to try to put it back together to play because what I remember he told me was a significant step in two cycle history. Since it was thirty years ago I want to confirm what I remember.

(A side note) I did listen to a good part of the tape as I was rewinding it and it include Karl Bartel, Kurt Mischke, Hans Krage, and Jerry Drake. It was the first time I met Jerry. He was still living in South Africa.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Zak Pipes"

The "Zak Pipe" that Sam illustrated above is the same as what was on the 250cc Harrison/Yamaha (1984 vintage) engine that I had. I bought a 250ccH rig from Kay Harrison that had a '84 Pugh boat and the Harrison engine. I ran this rig for a couple of years (1987 & 1988)and ran that engine through the Kilos on my laydown runabout.......

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a schematic of an early Carniti racing outboard expansion chamber

Post Thanks / Like

An early (probably 1963) Konig with expansion chambers

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zak Stacks

Here's some Zak Stacks on Bob Rhoades' backwards motor

Post Thanks / Like

Those pipes on Rhoades' engines had no sliding elements, but Zak did supply a set of extensions about 2" long that could be bolted between the aluminum elbows and the steel cans.

I used to race an A Konig like the one pictured. The first version of that engine was brought to the States by Konig about 1956 or '57, and had megaphones pointing straight out each side (ugly!). Konig kept tweaking that engine for decades!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray Hardy had the first set of Zak pipes with the internal sliding cone. Harry's pipes were made to fit the original "round block" Konigs. When Dieter changed his castings to make the center to center distance of the bores tighter, square block, Harry's cast aluminum parts would no longer work. Harry still did a lot of pipe development for a lot of people. He really understood what made a 2 stroke run well.

Post Thanks / Like

Konig kept tweaking that engine for decades!
    I'd prefer to say he replaced the original A deflector with an all new A looper in 1960 ... and the looper was the engine he tweaked for decades.

Smitty is right, they looked real funny at first with the pipes going STRAIGHT out the sides ... anyone have any pics of those? A little later they decided they could bend the pipes a little .... like these:
    Last edited by Mark75H; 04-11-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Tomtall

Arrow Tuned Pipes

Some theory by - George Grabowski @ "HPT Sport USA"
    http://www.hpt-sport.com/tunedpip.htm

Thread Information