Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F. Peirce Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Default F. Peirce Williams

I just heard that Peirce was injured at a Daytona ARCA race while photograping the event. Anyone know his condition???

Photographers struck by car in ARCA race: Four photographers and a fan were treated for injuries suffered in two separate incidents in Saturday's ARCA race at Daytona International Speedway. The most seriously injured was photographer Steve Rose, who was struck by the car driven by Blake Feese, who lost control entering his pit and careened into an opening in the wall. Rose was taken to a local hospital for further treatment. Also struck were T. Taylor Warren, Fernando Medina and Pierce Williams. An unidentified female fan was hit by debris when Chad Zimmerman's car flew into the catch fence.(Atlanta Journal-Constitution)(2-13-2005)

Post Thanks / Like

I just found more
    Holy moly! Boy that was close~!

Am so glad to hear Peirce is ok. Hope the other guy is too.

And once, during a rainstorm in Pensacola, he told me that he does have insurance on his camera equipment. It's very expensive stuff. Sure hope it's covered for track damage.

Racer slams 4 on pit road

By CINDY F. CRAWFORD
    Staff Writer

Last update: February 13, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH -- Photographer F. Peirce Williams jumped onto the hood of a race car that careened toward him and his colleagues Saturday afternoon, escaping serious injury even though he hit the pit road pavement head-first when he rolled off.

Another man poised to shoot the same pit stop suffered a broken leg when the No. 94 Chevy driven by Blake Feese during the ARCA Series race at Daytona International Speedway overshot its mark and barreled toward the pit wall opening where the photographers stood, Speedway officials said.

Steve Rose, who was photographing the Advance Discount Auto Parts 200 for Penske Motorsports, was taken to Halifax Medical Center. His condition was not available Saturday night.

Two photographers, in addition to Williams and Rose, were injured, neither seriously.

"You know it could happen when you work this close," to the racing action, Williams said shortly after the ordeal.

Williams and his colleagues were standing in an open section of the pit wall where they had credentials and were allowed to position for closer shots, Speedway spokesman David Talley said.

After the accident, which occurred on lap 26 of the 80-lap race, Speedway officials did not close the openings to other photographers. But Talley said they would review the circumstances to see whether changes needed to be made.

Feese, a rookie who turned 23 Tuesday, said in a television interview he did not see his pit sign and regretted the incident. He was unavailable for additional comment after the race and attempts to reach his Hendrick Motorsports representative were unsuccessful.

Although new to racing, Feese won two ARCA races last year in four starts.

Williams escaped the encounter with minor scrapes and bruises, mostly on his head, and returned to work in time for the Budweiser Shootout, as did fellow photographers Fernando Medina with Reuters and T. Taylor Warren with Southern Motor Racing.

"I'll be sore tomorrow," said Williams, the Eaton, Ohio, native who has been in Daytona Beach covering race action for several sports companies for more than a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that Peirce is alright, he is a gentelman. I still owe him a ride in the Diablo Wing. He is the Photographer that took the photos of Ken Kitson and Myself for Powerboat Magazine at the Clayton event. A friend of mine Jeff Spraker drove in this ARCA race to nineth place. The race was shortened fifteen laps due to all of the incidents. Bob
    Last edited by B VALACHOVIC; 02-14-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a photo of Peirce Williams taking the photo for Powerboat Magazine. The others in this photo are Rich Lours, Mark 75 and his wife
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by B VALACHOVIC; 02-14-2005 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Peirce last year at the Toledo Champboat race - once again we were standing in the rain! LOL

When we were departing, I asked Peirce if I would see him at the next Champ race in St Louis. He said "No", and instead would be in Clayton shooting for Powerboat mag. I told him to be SURE to get some great shots of the Miss Diablo --

He replied, "Get shots? Heck, I'm going for a RIDE in it!"

At that moment, I'm sure my face turned green ---- with pure envy.

I read something tonight in Hot Boat Magazine - about the early tunnel boats. For many years, starting when I was about 8 years old, I've always called Kenny Kitson's boat the "EL DIABLO". For the past 30 years this is what I thought her name was.

But once I saw her restored, I was corrected: She is the "MISS DIABLO".

But tonight, reading the Hot Boat magazine article, Bob Brown called Kenny's boat the "Miss EL DIABLO".

So now I wonder why Bob would use the same incorrect name I've been using ----- Could the announcers at Havasu have referred to this boat as the "EL DIABLO" at any time?? Could that be where we picked up this wrong name??
    Last edited by Miss BK; 02-14-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's Peirce at the 2003 APBA Nationals in Kankakee talking with Mandy Schlotter of Schlotter Photo.
    In the rain again! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

The Miss Diablo is a sponsors name. The people that made Brylcreme hair dressing had a product called Diablo (put the Devil in youre hair). This was a paying sponsor for Kenny. Bob
    Last edited by B VALACHOVIC; 02-16-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Would Have Said, "El Diablo, Too"...

I guess that Bob Brown has the same problem I have (Not Old Age)...just Spanish in our lives in California...and you don't use "Miss" with "Diablo", you say El Diablo...but like Miss BK said, "Once you saw it, you knew it was Miss Diablo."

Why don't you bring her out to Parker, October 7-8 and run her??? She doesn't have a capsule, so at BFR's Parker 300 Marathon, she'd be legal for this Regatta....

Talked to Rudy Raymos, yesterday, he's bring the OLD ALLISON POWERED RAYSON Craft and he's going to drive it himself....

Maybe, get Kenny to come...three ten minute pit stops....

Basically, she'd going to be a "FUN RUN"..

Post Thanks / Like

Ron--- Kenny Kitson and Myself will definately be there at the parker 300 october 7-8 with the Miss Diablo 3 Switzer wing. I didn't rebuild her for static display. Miss B K asked for a ride --- no problem
    Last edited by B VALACHOVIC; 02-16-2005 at 01:57 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 300

Ron,

Just courious----- I assume that this will not be APBA sanctioned, and as such even though not driving myself, was curious in knowing how you were able to obtain reasonable insurance rates. This is an ever increasing concern for the Classics that run at AOMCI meets, and as of today, still no coverage.

I guess that the major concern that I would have if I was a driver, in the event of an problem, would there be an issue knowing that the state of the art has developed capsules? I really don't want to come across as a naysayer, as I personally love the old stuff too.

The Inboard Antique & Classic race boats typically display and run at sanctioned APBA races and are covered under the sanction insurance. The Antique Race Boat regatta held every other year is a santioned event, but I don't know who pays the sanction fee or the rather expensive insurance premium. I looked in to this for AOMCI as Charlie Strang even appointed me as the APBA chairman for antique outboards. This never got off the ground as APBA has not been able to offer acceptable premiums for our group who don't have deep pockets as the inboard group has.

Thread Information