Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9.9

Post Thanks / Like

First off, what year is the motor?

Secondly, if you are going to spend that much time and money TRYING to make something work, go on ebay and spend $75 and get the one that is for the model year you are looking for. Mid 70's-early 90's will fit many years, and they are interchangable.

You are not being given the best advice trying to finagle one yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRY EBAY>>>

Item # 300157559057

Item # 200158930593 Looks a bit rusty, I would stay away from this one.

Item # 330170905314

I found the year in another post. All of them would bolt on with NO internal modifications.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabrications Legal ?

Given the J engine is basically the A Stock rules under a different category, I doybt making your own butterfly would be legal ? Not that it would be a speed advantage if you copied stock specs, just not legal. Kind of like painting the gearbox, you can't.

Post Thanks / Like

David-
    You certainly CAN paint an A or J gearcase. That is how they were recieved from the factory.
    From the stock inspection man.

OMC A ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS (CLASS A)
    It is the intent of the Stock Outboard Commission that the engine in this class be raced as
    received from the manufacturer, without modification. Following is a list of restrictions,
    descriptions, and modifications, which apply to this engine.
    1. It is permissible to leave the gearcase unpainted (bare Aluminum). Unpainted
    gearcases may be polished.

I believe that they are using this motor to play with on an Inflatable, not race. At least that is what I can figure out from the first few posts. I don't think homemade butterflies would pass a Stock inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by one eight-w View Post
    David-
    You certainly CAN paint an A or J gearcase. That is how they were recieved from the factory.
    From the stock inspection man.

OMC A ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS (CLASS A)
    It is the intent of the Stock Outboard Commission that the engine in this class be raced as
    received from the manufacturer, without modification. Following is a list of restrictions,
    descriptions, and modifications, which apply to this engine.
    1. It is permissible to leave the gearcase unpainted (bare Aluminum). Unpainted
    gearcases may be polished.

I believe that they are using this motor to play with on an Inflatable, not race. At least that is what I can figure out from the first few posts. I don't think homemade butterflies would pass a Stock inspection.
    stamped # 397635 & 388275 and earlyer sand cast carbs that fit the specs are the only legal carbs

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the motor is a 1992,and it is going on a inflatable,it is not going to be raced,what kind of clearance should i look for to cut the head?on my snowmobiels and quad morors i cut them for .60 squish.i found a carb at a local boat shop,and waiting for a pm for one at a better deal.would it be ok to set the timing @ 20degrees

Post Thanks / Like

just checked in my shop and I do have a carb you may be interested in P/N 398024
    PM me if interested.

JT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i found one local,thanks guys for all the info.

Thread Information