Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SST-120 Racers

jimsummers

Default SST-120 Racers

All 120 Racers would you all like to see a rule in place for Blue printed engines as long as it meets the spec? and also be able to run aftermarket pistons as long as they meet spec and weight? If you all feel this is a good idea lets vote it in

Post Thanks / Like

Along the same line: SST-120 Racers- Why is the optimax 200 allowed in the SST-120 class? It is a 2.5 litre EFI motor clearly creating more horsepower than the stock 180 horspower SST-120 motor. It violates most of the SST-120 engine specifications. Any feedback is appreciated.

sorry to rip your thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue printing

Quote Originally Posted by jimsummers View Post
    All 120 Racers would you all like to see a rule in place for Blue printed engines as long as it meets the spec? and also be able to run aftermarket pistons as long as they meet spec and weight? If you all feel this is a good idea lets vote it in
    I am pretty sure that most of the 120's are blue printed in some way! You have to watch that because the smaller ported motors would leave the dock better! As far as the pistons go, that could make merc stop making any parts for the 120! I would have liked to seen them design a fuel injected front half for the 4 and 5 peddal reed system instead of pushing the optimax on us! I understand that they are trying to sale their current production models, but It's not fair for those who have been in this class for awhile and have accumulated alot of equipment! I am going champ next year and I suggest to anyone that is thinking of getting into 120 and staying, GET AN OPTIMAX because the 120 is being fadded out!

I haven't forgot about those heads yet Jim, just been busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Along the same line: SST-120 Racers- Why is the optimax 200 allowed in the SST-120 class? It is a 2.5 litre EFI motor clearly creating more horsepower than the stock 180 horspower SST-120 motor. It violates most of the SST-120 engine specifications. Any feedback is appreciated.

sorry to rip your thread.
    The Optimax is mercs replacement for the 120! It is due to our good buddies at the EPA! We have seen them invade dirt bike racing over the last 5 years and now they have found us On a differant note the Opti has yet to run up front at a big race. It has to make a complete revolution before it's ignition will let it fire, in turn making it suck off the dock! I have to think from watching it's progress that a win is in the next few years!

Post Thanks / Like

I understand both the EPA argument and the current inventory argument. I understand the dock start argument as well.

The fact remains SST 120 engine specs. call for a carburated 2.0 litre motor with carbs. How did a 2.5 litre EFI get in the mix?

In region 10 we clock start making the dock start a mute point. This engine should not be run in SST 120.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting in the mix!

before you get in your boat next time take a minute to look at that black thing on the back of your boat and it should read MERCURY. This is mecs class and they can do what they want to. I think that they are allowing them to run with us on a temperary basis but they don't recive any apba points in 120! Not sure though! I know that at Port Neches that they made Mark Proffit start at the back of the pack no matter where he ran the heat before. But in Orange Merlue started as if he was running a 120. There is not enough Opti's to make their own class yet so Merc has put them with us hopeing to generate interest from new comers and veterans as well! They are weeding out the 120 motor completly and thats the reason the formula 150 class was started! You can take a block that couldn't be used in 120 because of the 3 sleeve rule and make it into a 150!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll do that...........

Nunez writes > "This is mecs class and they can do what they want to." He is mistaken.

APBA writes the rules for this class. APBA in it's current rule book has an SST 120 class requiring a max. total displacement of 122 Cu. in. It also has an SST 200 class with a Max. total displacement of 154 Cu. in. Why is the Opti Max engine, a 154 cu. in. EFI allowed in SST 120?

Let it run in F-150 which has a Max. of 165 Cu. In. This engine does not belong in SST-120

jimsummers

On the Optimax they should not be aloud to run with the 120 class, if and when they get it figured out to start they will out power the 120 motors. Like Kevin said on a clock start you will get out run. I feel if Mercury wants to run an Optimax class they need to step up to the plate and make a class and they can put up the money.

on the 120 motor is as from mercury not touched but we know how that goes. we as 120 drivers need to get it were we can run blue printed motors as long as it meets spec. as far as Pistons go or any aftermarket part, in boat racing why we cant get anywere is because we have no aftermarket involvment. We need there support parts and money to keep the sport alive, We depend on Mercury to keep us alive way to much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Kevin

If you have ever been to a knee rider race and there are only 1 or 2 formula e's they run them in with the smaller class so they can race but with no points! Same for the Opti. There are only 2 or three in the country and they are provided by mercury to the drivers willing to run them. Your right it is an apba class but if you don't think merc has say in it then you are mistaking. It reminds me when we were going to put a merc 25 gear case on an omc! Merc said if apba allowed thet, they would stop making the gear case completly. There for they got there way. Why do you think you can't run a less expensive motor cowl? Because merc didn't want it to happen. The 120 class would not exsist without mercury and everyone knows that.

Also needed to ask you, y the clock start?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well said Jim

I agree with that, but we can't do this without mercs consent! I am sure that wisco already has a piston for the 120!

Thread Information