Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hemp A Stock Hydro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hemp A Stock Hydro

Gary Lewis wants to sell his A Hemp Hydro and Best Johnson and Prop for $4,500. This is a BARGAIN... AS good of EQUIPMENT THERE IS!!!

Call Gary at Coloradro River Chevy...Ad at the top of the page...
    Likes blackrook liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Gary Lewis wants to sell his A Hemp Hydro and Best Johnson and Prop for $4,500. This is a BARGAIN... AS good of EQUIPMENT THERE IS!!!

Call Gary at Coloradro River Chevy...Ad at the top of the page...
    yep, that is a good deal and all of Gary's stuff is top notch National's potential winning stuff.........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going To Needles This Weekend....

Does The Real King of K Boats want me to pick this boat up for his KID????

If someone would loan me $4,500 I'd buy it.....

The motor is well worth $2,500, the Hemp Hydro is in perfect condition and he has several good A props.....

Easy way to get your kid started in J Hydro...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron, Ron, Ron.........

I'm not tell'in the master how to master, but I will share what we (KTDoodle) and I learned...

you don't want to start a kid in J running an A boat. Yeah they get you feet wet, they spark the interest, as did for us....But, the problems that we all know occurred, we largely because we ran an A boat, using a gagged down motor for the J class. In order for the boat(s) to plane, it needed more punch, well, the Dawe needed a real propeller, which we had but could not legally run.

Gary's boat is an awesome A boat and if we were not focused on an building an AXS Merc, (funding, and paying off a few other racing debts) I would buy that combo in a Chicago nano second waiting in the brat line....If that boat is set up to plane in J, as per George S and a few others, being that it is an A boat, it would not likely be competitive running J... If you play with the set up so it runs better in J, it will be a bear trying to get over the hump...

Though we cherish our experiences in the learning curve, I would not wwant to send one single kid and parent for that matter through the frustration, the heartache, and the problems using an A boat in J that KT had in her first year. With her it was/is all about learning and mastering, that is who she is. With many kids, the first time that boat does'nt plane, that could just be it.....

Since the restrictor plates ain't gunna change, (And I'll save the forum how I really feel about them) nor the props, or anything else in that class for that matter, you gotta get dedicated J rigs.....

Now, if the class could be tweaked to accomodate other things that would slow the boats down, and plane them off, I'm pretty confident that would open up alot of other boat options, not to sound as I know more than I do, simply just sharing applied knowledge.....

See there Bill Boyes, I listened

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmm....

Mel Beard runs Tammy Dawe's old A Hydro.

Amanda Rich runs Steven Job's old Dawe hydro.

Jared Wallach runs Tammy Dawe's 2005 boat......

Marlee Hill runs a Sorensen A Hydro kit built by Bill Boyes...

All boats plane easy.... Amanda did miss a heat, but once the weeds were off, she ran fine...

You struggled at two races with a carb full of salt water and a boat that was one of a kind, that was given to me, and I gave it back....

I'm betting with an average weight driver, at J weight, Gary's Hemp would be one of the fastest J hyros in the country.....and the reason I'm saying that, is the boat was built to major "Tuck under" and the rules have changed...The boat has a ton of lift, which for J Hdro, I don't think you can have too much lift....

It has also been pointed out to me, that J's plane much easier when the motors are running 100 per cent.....and strong...

Chad ran J for 5 years and never missed a heat, (565 races I think, always got on plane , always ran....(He won the winter Nationals in J a Zorkan A Hydro, in J).after the restrictor was increases from .450 to .500 (After his first race)...

Truth is, you learn to drive a J Hydro or runabout and after about three or four years, you can drive a racing hydro....Steven Dawe, Eric Zapf, Shawn and Spencer Love...RJ West....Mistakes make is J are very clear...Make the same mistake in a C and no one sees, except you run at the back of the pack!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, a couple of things, mostly from past experience. I do not believe Gary's boat would plane as a J, due to the inset transom. Sam Hemp has told me this as well. The limited poswer of the restricted OMC, plus the J props require the transom to be moved back.

Lauren started racing J in a 1989 Sorensen kit boat that Bill Boyes built. We still run it at Marysville in AXH, due to the course.

Also according to Sam, Gary's boat was NOT built for an extreme tuck setup.

Joe

I'm betting with an average weight driver, at J weight, Gary's Hemp would be one of the fastest J hyros in the country.....and the reason I'm saying that, is the boat was built to major "Tuck under" and the rules have changed...The boat has a ton of lift, which for J Hdro, I don't think you can have too much lift....

It has also been pointed out to me, that J's plane much easier when the motors are running 100 per cent.....and strong...

Truth is, you learn to drive a J Hydro or runabout and after about three or four years, you can drive a racing hydro....Steven Dawe, Eric Zapf, Shawn and Spencer Love...RJ West....Mistakes make is J are very clear...Make the same mistake in a C and no one sees, except you run at the back of the pack!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't need Tuck Under

Joe what you say about the "Tuck Under" makes the boat all the better for A.....and you are saying the boat won't plan with a J??? I remember Lauren having trouble at Chowchilla, two years ago...

How does Gary's boat differ from Lauern's Hemp????

How do you feel about running J Pro at local races??? (What the ages for J Pro?)

Post Thanks / Like

We did have some trouble, but that was w/ a Merc that was a pile of CRAP!!!!!

I agree that Gary's boat is a very good A boat. The big difference is that Gary's boat has a 65" afterplane, and Lauren's has a 62" afterplane. Both have 36" bottoms.

Yes, I am saying that the boat WILL NOT plane as a J with the transom in it's current position.

The min. age of K Pro is 11. If there are enough drivers, I am all for getting the kids more boat time.

Joe

Joe what you say about the "Tuck Under" makes the boat all the better for A.....and you are saying the boat won't plan with a J??? I remember Lauren having trouble at Chowchilla, two years ago...

How does Gary's boat differ from Lauern's Hemp????

How do you feel about running J Pro at local races??? (What the ages for J Pro?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Max Age for J Pro?

What's the MAX age on J Pro? AND what's the transom height???

Just and FYI: I ain't buying Gary's boat won't plane with a J.....I may have to buy it and prove you RIGHT!!!! (I'll see Gary Friday....Maybe I could trade him something....................nothing here!!).

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head I think you can run K Pro until you turn 17, but I am not certian. The max height is 1 3/4", as opposed to 1 3/8" for J, AX, and A.

I doubt Gary will be interested in a trade for hsi stuff.

Joe

What's the MAX age on J Pro? AND what's the transom height???

Just and FYI: I ain't buying Gary's boat won't plane with a J.....I may have to buy it and prove you RIGHT!!!! (I'll see Gary Friday....Maybe I could trade him something....................nothing here!!).

Thread Information