Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Gt Pro -- New Class For Region 8

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Send me a photo, I may take it off your hands since he didn't pay. But what are dia. and pitch? I can use 10x15.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default GT Pro Propellers On E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE:IT&ih=027

198 views..

Got the money for the 15 pitch...

GT PRO has a great future..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE:IT&ih=027 Boat Plans

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sold Two More..GT PRO Props Sold!

I did get paid for the 15, took awhile for a new E-Bayer to set up a Pay Pal account.

On the 10 X 16, I had 385 views (385 different people) and the prop sold for $183.00 and a second chance prop also sold for almost the same price.

I'm no mind reader, but with the current state of the U.S.'s economy, I feel many people will be playing with boats, still, but will be playing with smaller cheaper boats.

I've had at least 42 e-mails this week, with questions about boats under 14 feet long...Just an FYI!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking GT-Pro Class

This looks like an extremely attractive class! Boat racing has become far too expensive since my era of 1977-'85 in EP and mod VP. The old OMC 35 runs, I have one that I rebuilt (with .060" milled head) on a 15' fishing boat that runs 41+mph. Eventually, the GT-Pro class will have to be split into V-bottoms and tunnels once the tunnel drivers learn how to set up their rigs correctly. With good props and care to powerhead specs and setup, 50 mph in the V-bottom class should be possible. Sorry I'm not in Minnesota to participate and enjoy this nice new class, but I do plan to build some powerheads next fall.

The V-bottom 'fishing boat' shown below was designed from my record holding EP boat (70.650 mph in 1980) but has too wide a pad for a 35. The pad shown is about 8", 5-7" should be about right for GT-Pro. Ideal width for EP (75 hp) was 7", an 8" pad was too wide (the trailing edge of a wide pad didn't ride high enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman View Post
    This year (2007) the Twin City Powerboat Association (Minnesota, Region 8) introduced a new OPC Sportsman class called GT Pro. This class was designed as a graduation from our very successful Mini GT class.

While Mini GT uses 25 hp fishing motors with aluminum propellers, GT Pro steps up to 35 hp and allows any propeller as well as trim.

For 2007 there were only two full-fledged GT Pro boats on the water, and the addition of some Mini GT boats was required to make up the numbers. But we pulled off GT Pro races at most of our events, and managed to generate some close racing and spectator enthusiasm.

For 2008, we are on course to have six to eight drivers in the class, with the possibility of more. GT Pro is shaping up to
    be a boatbuilder's class, with three boats already built, another under construction, and three more to be built this winter including one by yours truly. (FULL DISCLOSURE: Plans for all these boats were purchased from me at dillon-racing.com).

However, you do not have to build your own boat to race GT Pro. Composite boats from such makers as Gran Prix, Critchfield, Camo, Racemaster, Rinker, Mirage, Furnel and others should make excellent GT Pro raceboats.

Here are the basic rules:

Minimum age 14-years-old
    Boats of any style, any material, at least ten feet long and four feet wide, 650 lbs. total weight
    A seat, and a foot throttle are required
    35 hp Johnson, Evinrude or Mercury fishing motors, 32 cubic inches max.
    Hydraulic trim is allowed
    Any propeller is allowed

So far, speeds in the upper forties have been achieved using slightly modified off-the-shelf propellers. We anticipate breaking the 50 mph mark with proper racing props. Ron Hill is working on some for us right now.

If you live in or near Minnesota and are looking for a simple, inexpensive class to race, GT Pro might be for you. Or start even simpler in Mini GT (production molded boats only, minimum age 12-years-old). Both classes are great places to get started in racing, or back into racing, or maybe as an alternative to driving on your knees.

More information at http://www.dillon-racing.com and http://www.twincitypowerboatracing.com.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basically, 15 Degrees of Rake

Basically 15 degrees, except I put a curl on the leading edge and it goes to 18 degrees...

Just a starting place..

What kind of V-Bottom you got? How long is it?

Howard Pipkorn sent his moulds out here for the Hydrostream THUMPER, 11 footer....is that about right??? (The Thumper is still the CP Kilo record holder with a 30 Tohatsu...Todd Peterson holds the record).

Post Thanks / Like

15' Allison, same running surface as my record setting XR-14. Just a fishing boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Basically 15 degrees, except I put a curl on the leading edge and it goes to 18 degrees...

Just a starting place..

What kind of V-Bottom you got? How long is it?

Howard Pipkorn sent his moulds out here for the Hydrostream THUMPER, 11 footer....is that about right??? (The Thumper is still the CP Kilo record holder with a 30 Tohatsu...Todd Peterson holds the record).

Post Thanks / Like

Default TCPBA Update

"Smokin' Joe" quoted my original post for this thread, which ended with links to my site and the Twin City Powerboat Association site. Just wanted to let you all know TCPBA has a new site: http://www.tcpba-racing.com/tcpba/. The old site is now down, but we're still here.

Yesterday, the last day of January, the temperature soared to 44 degrees. But there's still 18 inches of ice on the lakes, which is tough on propellers.

My newest GT Pro tunnel boat is coming together. Updates HERE. This boat is going to TCPBA member Jeff Larson who will finish it and set it up for GTP.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Talking GT Pro Class

Since these posts I've been contacted by 2 guys in La. with 35s on tunnels who want to know how to make them go faster. The GT Pro class should be encouraged/supported in Texas/La. as a start to making it a national class. Were I racing, I'd enter. With the restrictive APBA rules in place now, I would not be interested in either the tri-hull class or the V class where 50-100 c.i. motors are run with different weights, and with restrictions on how high on the transom the motor can be set. I wish the GT Pro Class great success, and next fall will offer both props and powerheads, if not a complete motor, rebuilt and broken in, race ready. I will also offer powerhead exchange or rebuilding during Sept.-Nov.

Smokin' Joe
    (the nickname is due to Louis Collins, 1977)

Attached is my latest rebuild project in our Austrian cellar, a 1980 35 bought cheaply on ebay.de

"Smokin' Joe" quoted my original post for this thread, which ended with links to my site and the Twin City Powerboat Association site. Just wanted to let you all know TCPBA has a new site: http://www.tcpba-racing.com/tcpba/. The old site is now down, but we're still here.

Yesterday, the last day of January, the temperature soared to 44 degrees. But there's still 18 inches of ice on the lakes, which is tough on propellers.

My newest GT Pro tunnel boat is coming together. Updates HERE. This boat is going to TCPBA member Jeff Larson who will finish it and set it up for GTP.

Freak'n Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to offer a full size set of plans for this??? I think it would make it alot easier for the novice builder and would make alot more of these pop up around the country...Great new class and the price is right to get the next generation started or let a bunch of us go play......

Thanx.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Since these posts I've been contacted by 2 guys in La. with 35s on tunnels who want to know how to make them go faster. The GT Pro class should be encouraged/supported in Texas/La. as a start to making it a national class. I wish the GT Pro Class great success, and next fall will offer both props and power heads, if not a complete motor, rebuilt and broken in, race ready. I will also offer power head exchange or rebuilding during Sept.-Nov.

Somkin' Joe
    (the nickname is due to Louis Collins, 1977)

Attached is my latest rebuild project in our Austrian cellar, a 1980 35 bought cheaply on ebay.de
    Joe,

I think your plan to offer props, power heads and complete motors is the GREAT news...Many of US, like the GT PRO concept, but aren't sure where to begin...Being able to contact you a buy "STUFF" is wonderful...not to mention, I'm sure you have forgotten more about these engines than most of us ever knew, and I feel confident, anyone could ask you anything, and you'd help the...

I have questions, like do we need solid mounts, and if so, will you be making them? Or can you buy solid mounts...Can you get all the parts you need to rebuild these motors? Are new carb available. if I buy a 25, what makes it a 35???

Where is that Louis Collins anyway? Bet he's still got a 5 million boat racing pictures he ain't posted...Probably has them in the same vault he keeps his money!!! LOL!

Thread Information