Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Gt Pro -- New Class For Region 8

Post Thanks / Like

Talking GT Pro Class

Ron,

My plans are ambitious because I'm only in the U.S. Aug.-Nov. each year.
    I'm trying to buy some abandoned fishing motors cheap for rebuilding.
    I've talked with Bob Dillon, solid mounts are not available. He tried homemade ones and broke his downhousing. the 35 mounts are apparently straight from the 1955 25 Johnson! I'll try bungee high around the downhousing on my Allison, maybe tying it down to the carrying/steering arm or clamp brackets. At 41 mph the 15' Allison fishtails because the upper mounts are too soft, and also because I have no transom jack, but with trim you can't use a transom jack. So far, I buy parts on Ebay and locally from a Houston dealer, and may buy out the dealer's stock of 15 and 35 parts. Dealers don't care about the small motors anymore, I picked up 15s last fall, 2 in running condition, for $150 each. Carbs are not produced but are available on ebay, typically for $90-$150. A carb converts the 25 or 30 to 35 hp, carb plus intake manifold are needed for the 20 (I learned this from Bob Dillon).

I'm going to experiment with a Hill 10x16 cleaver, and maybe with sst 10x15 and some newer stainless hub props 10x16-17. The Stilletto prop can be made to run, but what they advertise as 10x14 is only 10x13, and they don't make anything bigger.

I can always be reached at jmccauley@uh.edu. A photo of Louis, Brad & son, and Paul Allison at Paul's 81st birthday is attached, as is a Sept. 2008 photo of 'an old Allison and an old Allison driver'.

Also, here's some recent small motor (stock 35 c.i.) action in former E. Germany,

http://www.world-of-powerboat.de/klassen/html/t550.html

http://www.world-of-powerboat.de/klassen/html/adac.html

there and Poland have become active in racing.

Best,
    Joe

PS My nickname for Louis, dating to our trip to the blown-out time trials in Wisc. in 1978 where we met Paul, Louis, and Jay Cox and spent 3 days in a motel, is 'Big Boy'. The main benefit of that trip was that I visited Edgar Rose on the way and got a tour of the Johnson factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Joe,

I think your plan to offer props, power heads and complete motors is the GREAT news...Many of US, like the GT PRO concept, but aren't sure where to begin...Being able to contact you a buy "STUFF" is wonderful...not to mention, I'm sure you have forgotten more about these engines than most of us ever knew, and I feel confident, anyone could ask you anything, and you'd help the...

I have questions, like do we need solid mounts, and if so, will you be making them? Or can you buy solid mounts...Can you get all the parts you need to rebuild these motors? Are new carb available. if I buy a 25, what makes it a 35???

Where is that Louis Collins anyway? Bet he's still got a 5 million boat racing pictures he ain't posted...Probably has them in the same vault he keeps his money!!! LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

U.K. J 250 - Euro JT250 Techteam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We run these boats in the UK with Yamaha 15F 2 Strokes. Slowly we will move over to 4 strokes in both 15hp and 30hp speeds with a 15F are around 44mph. I bought a couple of Ron's props to run and they worked well. I think this is a great class for the kids and I believe it is raced in Australia as well as Europe and the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking GT Pro

Beautiful photo, nice to see the small motor action in the U.K.!

Quote Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
    We run these boats in the UK with Yamaha 15F 2 Strokes. Slowly we will move over to 4 strokes in both 15hp and 30hp speeds with a 15F are around 44mph. I bought a couple of Ron's props to run and they worked well. I think this is a great class for the kids and I believe it is raced in Australia as well as Europe and the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Since these posts I've been contacted by 2 guys in La. with 35s on tunnels who want to know how to make them go faster. The GT Pro class should be encouraged/supported in Texas/La. as a start to making it a national class. Were I racing, I'd enter. With the restrictive APBA rules in place now, I would not be interested in either the tri-hull class or the V class where 50-100 c.i. motors are run with different weights, and with restrictions on how high on the transom the motor can be set. I wish the GT Pro Class great success, and next fall will offer both props and powerheads, if not a complete motor, rebuilt and broken in, race ready. I will also offer powerhead exchange or rebuilding during Sept.-Nov.

Smokin' Joe
    (the nickname is due to Louis Collins, 1977)

Attached is my latest rebuild project in our Austrian cellar, a 1980 35 bought cheaply on ebay.de
    Im really glad to read of this GT class.. Very Interesting. Ive been playin with makin 31.8s fast for 5 years & can say potential is there. I dont race [yet], have few rules sooo heres some of what Ive done..

60+ in a C hydro with a stock 25 on a 14:15 Y foot that has a shortened tower & is stripped of non-essentials, it weighs 79.
    These are a fish motor thru & thru. If you look you see the carb hole is off center favoring the top cyl. the crankcase passage for the top is huge compared to the lower. This I hear is so itll troll. Ive opened up the low passage to compensate on 2 rebuilds. The reed & intake match didnt seem right to me so I did this..

before..

after.
    Ive got 1 on the bench now to square the port tops. Its an untried 1st..

I did a reed experiment that produced a surprise surge but cost a piston [not surprised] so Id think Boyesens when I can $pring for them would do well. Having tried so many things I cant remember em all [mostly cause only a few worked] Id say if someone who really knew what they were doin modded one it could be fairly awesome. Not legal in the APBA yet tho but C mod otherwise ??.. Love to read whats goin on there.

Post Thanks / Like

How many RPM? How high are you running the propshaft compared with lowest point on front sponsons? Thanks for the info!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Im really glad to read of this GT class.. Very Interesting. Ive been playin with makin 31.8s fast for 5 years & can say potential is there. I dont race [yet], have few rules sooo heres some of what Ive done..

60+ in a C hydro with a stock 25 on a 14:15 Y foot that has a shortened tower & is stripped of non-essentials, it weighs 79.
    These are a fish motor thru & thru. If you look you see the carb hole is off center favoring the top cyl. the crankcase passage for the top is huge compared to the lower. This I hear is so itll troll. Ive opened up the low passage to compensate on 2 rebuilds. The reed & intake match didnt seem right to me so I did this..

before..

after.
    Ive got 1 on the bench now to square the port tops. Its an untried 1st..

I did a reed experiment that produced a surprise surge but cost a piston [not surprised] so Id think Boyesens when I can $pring for them would do well. Having tried so many things I cant remember em all [mostly cause only a few worked] Id say if someone who really knew what they were doin modded one it could be fairly awesome. Not legal in the APBA yet tho but C mod otherwise ??.. Love to read whats goin on there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    How many RPM? How high are you running the propshaft compared with lowest point on front sponsons? Thanks for the info!
    Joe
    RPM depends on the prop mostly 6700 & more on the hydro. The propshaft was 3/4 below the bottom, tucked 3/16 per' [about 1" above the sponson.
    Ive done most testing on this..

its being somewhat more boat its been up to 57 with the reed experiment but usually will do 53 on a good run. The Rs however run between 5200 & 6700 [depending on prop] for about the same speed. The lowers for a much bigger motor so I think its near potential in the 50s. The hydro I havnt tested as much & I think alot more is there to be had. I havent gone with any type of open exhaust yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GT Pro plans

Are you going to offer a full size set of plans for this??? I think it would make it alot easier for the novice builder and would make alot more of these pop up around the country...Great new class and the price is right to get the next generation started or let a bunch of us go play......

I already offer plans to three boats, one of them a tunnel. Please see dillon-racing.com.

The new boat should be on the racecourse this summer. After I've seen how it performs I will make any changes that are warranted and then will make up the plans. Probably late summer or fall at best. They will not be full-size plans, but measured drawings which are easily drawn full-size, right on the plywood, by the builder. Online construction notes will be included, as with my current offerings.

Bob

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Its a good feeling to be 'on water' in a boat you built. How much will the tunnel weigh before rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

My Mini Tunnel weighed about 230 lbs, bare boat. I used 6mm (1/4") plywood for everything but the deck, which is 3mm. A lighter boat could probably be built by using 4mm and 5mm in place of the 6mm. Could shave off 10 to 20 lbs.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Vid, seems the V has 2 advantages in that race.. more air and better handling for present conditions.

Thread Information