Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Gt Pro -- New Class For Region 8

VP 75 Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dillon Pro Tunnel

Here's a finished picture (although I haven't torn down the motor for repainting yet to purtify it) of the Pro Tunnel. I initially ran a worked over OMC 10x17 prop (worked over on a ball hitch that is) and did 1st or second with it...then put the Ron Hill 10x17 prop and have ridden to first virtually every time....not bad for a motor out of Howard Pipkorn's back 40. The design appears to be perfect for this class...and it's a blast to drive....kinda like go-kart racing on a dirt track And, believe it or not...I've almost blown it over 3 times! came across the finish line in Pine City floating like a kite a couple feet above the water...we did have 2 other blowovers that day by a couple of the bigger classes. Photo courtesy of Bill Taylor Photography.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Plans: Dillon Pro Tunnel

The plans for the above boat (the Dillon Pro Tunnel) are now available at http://www.dillon-racing.com/plans.htm.

See also this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TV9kTudqEU

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anything New for PRO GT???

Can anyone give us a re-cap of the 2009 season?

Or tell us where to find it?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason that this class uses the 20" motors? Would they handle better with the 15" version?...and be a little lighter.
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    Is there a reason that this class uses the 20" motors? Would they handle better with the 15" version?...and be a little lighter.
    I wouldnt bet the stack on it Mark but I think those are short. Even tho made for a typical 15" transome these 'shorts' are pretty tall as well & would be run fairly high to get the custom props benefit.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of speeds are they getting out of the mono hulls? What mods are allowed?
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    What kind of speeds are they getting out of the mono hulls? What mods are allowed?
    Last I read they were just under 50mph, hoping to break it soon. Unlike kneelers the min. weights fairly high so limiting the potential of the stock motors. Early in the thread I think has what you ask, Ive read it but its been awhile. Im interested in this class, 1st- its my favorite 'play' motor. 2nd- the sit up & drive thing.

VP 75 Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup...we run the short shafts...20" would be too hard to get the prop to the top of the water (if in a tunnel). Fastest I clocked was 47mph while testing but the head wind prevented me from pushing it too much farther (it was only practice after all). I've done virtually no work on my motor (no over bore .30 etc.) so I do think 50 is a reasonable achievement. I run Dillon's Pro Tunnel (the only one built) and he runs his Pro Vee design...pretty much us 2 battled at the front all year...I had a few races that I didn't finish due to trim failure and or a little hull blowout the first time the boat was raced....still took Bob to the wire in high points though. I equate running my boat to high end go-kart racing on a banked dirt track.....that hull is wide enough and stable enough that I can pin the buoys at 90 degrees fairly easy.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I'll post some pics of my boat tomorrow. It is a 15' v hull and you might think it would be a pig but, with a 150 lb. driver it might run mid 40's. Be nice to get something like that going down here (Ga.) especially since we can race year round.
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my mini boat. If you call 15' mini! Only a few of these were built in Florida and they were center console fishing boats. Never sold well, too small for a fishing boat. I decked it over and made it a sport boat. With me in it and all coast guard stuff, battery, bilge, lights, anchor, etc. it runs 39. Check out the transom pic. It is a 15" motor on a 20" transom. Simple solution, turn jack plate over (I guess it would be called a jack down plate now!) Cav plate is about 2 inches above pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls

Thread Information